A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
351 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Norah Gauhan cardigan from Vogue Knitting  (Read 43250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2007 11:13:28 PM »

wow, those look fantastic, and Aueeie--that's a great fit on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ktkntr
Hey little boy, what you got there? Kind sir, it's a mollusk I found.

Sassyfrassy lassy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 11, 2007 02:47:27 PM »

Squeakyweasels; what size did you intend to make?  Did it turn out true to size? 

I want to knit this but an VERY worried about the sizing issues.  Wah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

funkalisious jewelry:  www.zoo-loo.com
at etsy, too: www.ilovezooloo.etsy.com
knit_north
« Reply #162 on: February 11, 2007 03:31:39 PM »

I want to knit this but an VERY worried about the sizing issues.  Wah!

me too - think i'll do it with dk weight and go with the xs size even though i'd normally be size small
THIS ROCKS   Logged

squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 11, 2007 03:32:52 PM »

I made the size small and had gauge the entire time, but the fit is more like an XL or XXL. I mean, it's not even baggy-big or oversized-big, it's just wrong. If I were going to make it again I'd eliminate a few of the pentagons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
yarnhag
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2007 06:12:56 PM »

hmm.  yeah, you know... I don't think I'm going to make this thing after all.  It just seems to have too many sizing issues, and I've yet to see one that looks as good as the VK photo.

I'll keep watching, though.  Maybe some further experimentation by the knitters out there will convince me...

It's not like I don't have a TON of other things on my "to knit" list, anyhow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laura140281
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2007 06:02:56 AM »

I've got one sleeve and the collar left to do, I'm making xs and I know its going to be far too big.  The only thing I think I can do is what aueeie did - miss out the seventh pentagon but that means going back and ripping out hours and hours of work Cry I don't know what to do, its making me tired just thinking about it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2007 10:25:31 AM »

I thought I had posted to this but I guess I hit the wrong button. 

I've started this project, and just finished my first pentagon.  I was wondering if I should make a smaller size or just cut out the pentagons.  I was making the XL and got the gauge with size 9 needles.  My first pentagon is 9.5 inches in diameter!  Yowsa. 

What do you think squeakyweasels?  aueeie (did I spell that right?)?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aueeie
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2007 01:59:04 PM »

My gauge was spot on when I did it in stockinette but the size per side when I actually made a pentagon was 4.5 in (not the 5 in as recommended for the XS).  Each time I completed a pentagon, I wrapped it around myself.  After finishing the fifth, it was actually long enough to completely wrap around my shoulders but I couldn't figure out how to move the sleeves around so I made the sixth pentagon and just cinched the collar tighter (the button is way up on the collar, not near the end as in the VK picture). 

I really recommend going a size smaller with smaller pentagons and wrapping it around yourself as you go along.  It was a really satisfying knit but you do have to make some modifications.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarpie
« Reply #168 on: February 12, 2007 02:31:05 PM »

Here's the picture of my first pentagon, I think I should make a smaller size.  I'm not confident that my current knitty skills could adjust the pattern as I go along.  It's a scary project especially now seeing how squeakyweasels' came out.  It looks so nice on the cover of the magazine, and what a mess!  But surprisingly easy to actually knit.  I thought it was alright making the first pentagon anyhow. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #169 on: February 12, 2007 03:32:32 PM »

Hi all - I thought I'd share my experience with this cardi to add to others' already posted here.  I knit all 11 pentagons and had cast on for the first sleeve when I decided to try it on.  Like a number of you, I discovered that the fit was huge.  I'm not sure how the bust is measured - but I'm a 36" so I was knitting the size small.  I got gauge on size 8 needles using Cascade 220 and when I measured after knitting the very first pentagon the measurements seemed right - a little on the small side, if anything, but I figured I would block it up.  But I noticed when I had finished the 11 pentagons that the tops of the pentagons had stretched out - so the size of the garment grew as I knitted more and more pentagons.  So ultimately I decided to frog it and not to redo it - I'm using the yarn for something else.

I think for those of you just starting this pattern I'd recommend three things (not necessarily to be done all at the same time):

1.  Consider knitting a size down.
2.  You might want to go down a needle size after you get gauge.
3.  Do like one of the clever gals who already finished hers and eliminate pentagon #7, and adapt the placement of the other pentagons accordingly.

If I were going to knit this over again I'd probably do at least one of those things.  Just my two cents.  (There are some photos and more details over at my blog, BTW).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What are some things I should look for when choosing a digital camera?
Will a digital camera make picture taking easier?
What is the difference between film and digital cameras?
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...