A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Norah Gauhan cardigan from Vogue Knitting  (Read 42098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

so soon
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2007 08:44:22 PM »

Wow it looks so great except for being so big! What if you redo the sleeves or take them in a bit, and then wear it upside down style with a pin?

I have found that as I add pentagons, the existing ones get stretched out a bit. So at first, one side measured 4", but after there are 7 pentagons attached in a chain the sides are now measuring about 4.5". Maybe that is the issue here?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007 07:44:25 AM by so soon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

selling shoes, knitting sweaters
http://www.anothershopgirl.blogspot.com
Meet me on Ravelry. My profile: shopgirl
goldengrrl
Val and Miss Cleo

L'il Miss Cleo

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2007 09:29:49 PM »

Snow, your knitting looks fabulous!
Out of curiosity, what is the measurement on your pentagons?  Are they the same as the specifications?

Val
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007 09:31:24 PM by goldengrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowsculpture
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2007 10:34:34 PM »

well, when I was making the pentagons the sides were 5.5" like in the pattern notes.  They're more flattened now and the sides are all different sizes (from 5" to 6").  I just noticed the sides that are longer are parallel to the length of the sweater.  It certainly would support what so soon was saying about them stretching out as you add more...

my sweater is so sad, but I did have a happy day today b/c i got an acceptance letter to dental school!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
squeakyweasels

Knitter, Writer, Yarner

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2007 06:42:00 AM »

Congrats on dental school, Snow!

Too sad about the fit though. What could have happened???

Here's mine... I'm one pentagram away from starting the sleeves.

I'm making the size small and I'm a 34"

I think the fit is actually okay. I expect the sleeves and collar to draw it in a little more, but aside from that I think I can live with the big-ness and squishiness of it as is.

I'm glad I went the cheap route with acrylic. It's so lightweight, I think that's the only thing preventing it from stretching out the way Snow's is doing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I sell ecofriendly luxury yarn, recycled at
http://stitchpop.artfire.com
dexterchickk
« Reply #124 on: January 31, 2007 01:31:37 PM »

I'm so glad you all are ahead of me! haha.  I made my test pentagon and it looked a bit big to me, so I went down a needle size.  I'm using Caron Simply Soft (I know, I know, but I'm a poor grad student okay? Tongue) on size 7 needles. 

My pentagons are measuring 6", though I'm making a size L.  I figured it was okay b/c other ppl said it was coming out big.  Now that I'm on penatagon 3 I'm glad I did it b/c I've had the same experience with them stretching a little.  Hopefully it will all come out.  I hate spending all that time on something you'll never wear but dont have the heart to frog. *sigh*...........Pics coming soon.............
THIS ROCKS   Logged
adriennec
« Reply #125 on: January 31, 2007 07:03:54 PM »

So, does it seem like it will actually use as much yarn as the requirements state?  I understand why it would use so much but knitting it in my size would use more yarn than knitting Rogue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2007 10:19:01 PM »

Super excited about my meager progress.  It's such a tempting thesis distraction! I have to limit myself on knitting time per day....it...hurts.. ......must....knit
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frozenknitter
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2007 11:32:04 PM »

There have been some issues discussed in blogland about sizing issues in some of Norahs patterns, especially the ones with pentagon-type shapes.  I have her book, but haven't made anything because of those concerns.  I am excited to see all of your finished shrugs, maybe you can restore my faith in norah gaughan!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I admit it.  I blog. 
bunchkinknits.blogs pot.com
klement
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2007 12:26:12 AM »

dexxterchick - i love the colour you're using.. it's beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yuvee
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2007 02:46:59 AM »

Just got my mag yesterday, I'm definitely in!
It's good to know that people are using thinner yarn since I have lots of dk weight in my stash. I'm thinking of using some creamy colour alpaca I just got, I hope 10 skeins would be enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cooking Mac and Cheese With Kids
Rotisserie Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
Fire Up The BBQ!
The Best Burger
BBQ Tips: Burger Meat, Condiments
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...