A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Saskatoon craft fairs  (Read 6455 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

prairietransplant
« on: January 02, 2007 07:26:47 PM »

Hi all,
In the aftermath of Christmas sewing and spending, I'm beginning to think about trying my hand at sewing for craft fairs.  I make handbags, aprons, lingerie bags, clothes...anything I think my family and friends would like.  With wedding season coming up, I'm thinking that anything wedding-themed would be good too. 

Does anyone have any comments about the Saskatoon craft fair scene, or feedback about selling these kinds of items?  Where do people sell besides the Fringe and the Saturday market?  I'm still relatively new to the province, so any suggestions about the craft fair scene here would be much appreciated!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisa_zacharias
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007 11:34:47 AM »

What a freaky coincidence!  Yesterday I spent two hours trying to find any kind of fair  in Saskatoon, but was unable to find anything except the Fringe.  I would love to try having a booth at a fair, but I moved here last year, and I don't don't any of the "scenes" yet. Prairietransplant; any interest in sharing a booth once we figure out where these fairs are?  I make handbags, clothing, and crocheted slippers and hats mostly.  Please, Saskatoonians, help us! you're our only hope! -Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged

First I had a plate and no serviette.  Now I have a serviette and no plate and I need more jam.
http://www.pixiekist.etsy.com  and **NEW***  http://www.pixiekist.net !!!!  Not much there yet, but soon!   More pics of my stuff; please comment! -Lisa
aliasgracie
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007 04:31:35 PM »

Well I hate to disappoint but besides the fringe there isn't anything around until October and the xmas ones start up again.  The one in the summer at the Mendel gallery is only open to members of the Craft Council and to be a member you have to be judged on your work. 

I wanted to started up one in the summer but I am to busy to organize.  Maybe we should unite and rent a seniors hall or something.  Have are own funky craft sale and beer night Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Common sense is the collection of prejudices
- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
prairietransplant
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007 08:41:33 PM »

Thanks both fellow Saskatooners for your replies.  I'm disappointed there aren't more venues...but then again, I don't know if crafting is often a real moneymaker anyway. 

For the record, I did find this link from the Government of Saskatchewan on "Starting a Craft Business."  It says that I can order a listing of craft fairs from Tourism Saskatchewan for $10.  It sounds like it's not worth it, though?
http://www.cbsc.org/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=CBSC_SK%2Fdisplay&lang=en&cid=1102419629975&c=GuideHowto

Just finished an apron for my aunt's birthday, and am thinking I'll just stick to the gifting for now.  I'm too busy to organize too!
Need some other way to fund my fabric addiction...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliasgracie
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007 07:30:55 PM »

I have given up too.  I have wanted to try the Wilson's (Greenhouse) Craft Fair and there is the WDM if you want in on that start asking for a table in the spring!  The bad thing is that tables for these are around $100-$150, and I am a procrastinator!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
equisetaceae
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007 10:20:43 AM »

My mum used to do the craft circuit in SK for weaving, so don't give up! there's lots on the go in the summer,  just not alot specific to craft fairs.  If you were interested there's pretty much an event a weekend (sometimes two!) during the summer, it would be work, but you could contact each venue independently and set up a table at each.
ideas....
There's one craft fest, that i'm not sure if it still goes on in North Battleford at the beginning of the summer.  It's an agricultural fair that has booths and demos etc.. if i can remember the name I'll post again. Most small towns have agricultural fairs during the summer so if you're willing to drive a few hours, booths are usually cheap.  Now of course, the chance of selling things at a decent price is also less, since people in smaller towns are less likely to spend $$$ for handicrafts.  I know that sounds like a biased generalization, but that is just the sum of my mother's 20 year in the craft circuit.

river roar, dragon boats, jazz fest, taste of SK/Saskatoon, Shakespeare on the SK, the Ex, Canada Day in Diefenbaker Park, Folkfest ...etc. 

there's also the music festival up near meadow lake in the summer, whose name has completely left me.  Lots of fun- hippie-ish fest that definitely has craft table sales.  if you are willing to move around, there's lots of those around the province.

if you're interested, there's also lots in the fall/winter that i can tell you about. Including, specificly 'craft fairs'.

GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zreekee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007 10:15:28 PM »

There is the flea market held every Saturday in the old Aldleman building on 20th.

But those usually don't get you your money's worth as they are looking for sales.

For real craft fairs, I only know of Sundog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisa_zacharias
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007 05:30:29 PM »

The Ness Creek Music Festival is coming up; July 19th.  I'm trying to get a booth there, but I would love to share with someone.  Anyone interested?  It's in Big River; check out more about it here:
http://www.nesscreek.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

First I had a plate and no serviette.  Now I have a serviette and no plate and I need more jam.
http://www.pixiekist.etsy.com  and **NEW***  http://www.pixiekist.net !!!!  Not much there yet, but soon!   More pics of my stuff; please comment! -Lisa
aliasgracie
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007 02:33:45 PM »

Sorry lisa, I just got your message, I wonder why it is just showing up now... anyway.  I am teaching in the fall and the summer is a write off this year.  My thoughts were having one off broadway at the Cosmo seniors center (by the hose).  I wonder if a Winter one would fly? Late November?  Someone could sell goodies and hot chocolate.  I like to do handbags and little things. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Albert Einstein

50 things 6/50
lisa_zacharias
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007 12:23:09 PM »

I am IN for a november fair; we could do it on broadway maybe, and I LOVE the idea of hot chocolate and stuff.  Anybody else interested?  If we can get even 5-6 people, we can start looking into location, and city permission and stuff; I love it!! YAY!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play at the Tip of the Bow
How to Play the Piano with Velocity
How to Play Kings Cup
Learn How to Rosin the Violin Bow
Dynamics on Violin
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...