A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,435
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made glitter shoes! (kinda pic heavy)  (Read 10783 times)
Tags for this thread: shoes , glitter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011 03:27:50 AM »

Hi, total newbie here but long time lurker.  I really want to make some myself but I'm not sure what mediums to use, there's so many different kinds of modge podge!  Do I want to use gloss (not the paper kind?) and then top it with the outdoors one?  Or finish with acrylic spray?  I read somewhere that modge podge is just like pva, could I use that to adhere the glitters and then finish it with acrylic spray?  I want to make sure they are waterproof to hold up to the British weather.
I used the gloss, but I don't think it would matter too horribly if you used a different kind of mod podge or even a different kind of glue. I used mod podge because it's a decoupage glue and sealant, but I assume a pva glue would work too. If you want certainty of it being waterproof (since I haven't been able to test mine yet, the ground here being covered in about 20 inches of snow) I would seal it with an outdoor acrylic sealant after covering the shoes in glue and glitter. I'd love to see your shoes when you get them done!
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011 08:38:14 AM »

Thanks for all the info, I'm def going to give it a go.  Not sure how much glitter I'll need though.  In theory I want to attempt a sort of rainbow stripey blend, but for a beginner I might be overcomplicating things a bit there.  I should be able to find acrylic sealent in the hardware store!  I'll def post pics after they are done.  My only problem now is, I live in a block of flats with a communal garden area which all of our balconies look into; my neighbours will think I'm nuts! 
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011 01:10:06 PM »

I really didn't use as much glitter as I thought I would...but ya know...having extra glitter is never a bad thing lol
need shoe help
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011 10:59:23 PM »

Love your GREEN glitter shoes! So, I knew it could be done!!! TG for google! I'm glad I found you on here...I'm getting married on the 15th of April and havent been able to find white glitter shoes.  So, I bought something called Diamond Dust a while agao and have been searching for white shoes (I thought that had to be white-but I guess not) anyway the ones i bought are leather. Will this work? Please say yes! and if so, what kind of glue shoudl I use? I had the mod podge in my hand today, too. Sad Wish i would've just bought it!) and to seal, i read on EHOW to use polyurithane-or however u spell that...but since urs came so nice-i want to use what u used! I hope u read this in time!!!! Smiley
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011 06:13:17 AM »

I would imagine the leather shoes could be just as easily covered in glitter...I did paint some leather ones awhile back and the only issue I've had is that I needed to seal them. I would use the mod podge because it will stay fairly flexible. I would definitely use a sealant other than mod podge for these shoes since they're going to be special shoes Wink. Mod podge can be used as a sealant, but it tends to stay kind of sticky. It does take a couple of days to get a full coverage, but since you're starting with a white shoe and using a white glitter it might not take as many coats as mine did. The best method I found was to paint a section of mod podge on (about a quarter of the shoe side), then I used a plastic spoon to cover that spot in glitter then repeated the process over the rest of the shoe. Let dry and repeat until desired coverage is achieved. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck on your wedding! Let me know if you have any other questions. Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...