A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
781 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *EDIT* Snow Water Globes...finished!  (Read 3282 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gourami
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007 04:44:02 PM »

Now this is a really cool idea!  I'm gonna try to make my cousins out of clay, and give them snowglobes for their birthdays.  They'll be blown away. 

Thanks for the tips, too.  Terrific stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007 05:29:07 PM »

That came out so great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Zamurai

Original Youth's Arm-Candy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007 10:06:35 PM »

Those are both so cool, I want to make one now.  By the way, I love your avatar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

monkey8m
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007 12:32:37 AM »

pretty cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
enchantedwhimsies
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007 05:22:40 AM »

Really cool!!!  And I even like the cake lady... she's kind of really in-your-face because of the size and magnification --LOLOLOL.

figure had to be reglued and resoaked

What exactly do you mean by "re-soaked"??  Did they advise you to soak your figures before adding them, e.g.... maybe to avoid outgassing (though that isn't usually a problem with polymer clay, though bubbles can get stuck in crevices)

And also, did they include any kind of water "additive" with the kit?  I'd like to add it to my info if they did.

Diane B.

P.S.  For other people who are interested in making snow or water globes with clay, and buying globe kits or making your own, there's a bunch of info on this page at my site:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm

Ha yes, some how I managed to forget about the magnification so I was pretty shocked when I saw that too!

I'm only soaking them to get the bubbles out of the small areas. it works suprisingly well.

And no, they didnt include any additives. I used destilled water and a little glycerin.

HOW did you soak them though? did you just stick it in plain water? If so, how long? Are the figures glazed/varnished or coated with anything? Did you find a tutorial for this? thanks, i am really interested in trying it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007 06:29:08 AM »

HOW did you soak them though? did you just stick it in plain water? If so, how long? Are the figures glazed/varnished or coated with anything? Did you find a tutorial for this? thanks, i am really interested in trying it.

ohh, I just filled the globe with DISTILLED water and put the figure in it upside down. You can see the bra lady soaking in the background of one of the pictures. I soaked them over night, although I can't say for certain how necessary it is, it did seem to reduce the air bubbles.

I didn't find a tutorial, and Most of the information I used I found on Diane B.'s site

Truth be told, its really not that complicated.
*made clay figures
*made a clay base
*paint the rubber stopper included in the kit (it was mint green)
*glue figure to the base (E6000)
*glue the base to the stopper (only in the center so the stopper can flex)
*be sure to clean the globe inside and out
*fill with distilled water and alittle glycerin
*soak the figure as you see fit
*add floaties (I used a few kinds of glitter)

Then the tricky part is getting the stopper in without getting air bubbles (or push it in too far and break the globe trying to get it back out like I did)

Then I sealed the stopper with some silicone caulk, glued the globe to the base (e6000 again) and viola!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xhazeleyes01x
"I am an agnostic; I do not pretend to know what many ignorant men are sure of. "-Clarence Darrow

"A healthy nature needs no God or immortality"

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007 11:04:33 AM »

I love your globes, but the cake is my fave. I made my first ever snow globe for a friend for Christmas (made a Santa sponge bob, if im not too lazy i'll post it sometime Cheesy ). Anywho, my biggest mistake was making sponge bob too big, it turned out ok, but due to the mag issues (like yours) he was a tad biiig. Ooo, and i used aquarium glue to hold the glass to my polymer base. It's fantastic and specifically made for things along those lines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines-B Russell
'God' is an image created out of man's insecurities-Wiegraf-Final Fantasy
Starkle, starkle little twink, Now it's time that you guys sink-Gilgamesh-FFV
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Superboy
How to Draw Suicune
How to Draw Stitch
The Ultimate Lab Color Mode Trick For Boosting Colors
How to Draw Stimpy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...