A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
355 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: competive knitter?  (Read 4287 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starlagurl
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004 04:11:41 PM »

Maybe what you really mean is competItive...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheekymamaof2
It doesn't feel like exercise when you're wearing chiffon.

Forget Stitch n Bitch. Nurse n Knit!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004 05:34:51 PM »

Maybe what you really mean is competItive...

oh sheesh isnt one spelling nazi enough? LOL
(see, I already corrected her)

*runs away gigglin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW EASY!
visit www.freetostitchfreetobitch.org
my blogs can be found at livejournal (cheekymama) and blogspot (cheekymamaof2)
zephren
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004 07:14:20 PM »

Wow, I am somewhat disturbed by this post. I think starlings hit the nail on the head when she said that knitting is a lot like playing a musical insturment. First off, some of us just pick up things more easily than others.
I myself, took knitting lessons from an awsem instructor, and was up and knitting all sorts of hats & scarves within a month. Then I got a hold of the SnB book and discovered that I loved inersta (sp?)! I started knitting my first sweater within 3 months of learning to knit.

Now in my defense I will say I practiced a lot! I knitted a scarf or a hat like every 2 days for about 3 months. Doing a lot of little projects helps you refine your skills. I like to do little projects to practice something new.... like cables, and then once Ive got it down pat on a small project Im confidant to take on something like a sweater.

I think it is a waste of your time to look at peoples garter stich scarves and make fun of it. I mean obvioulsy you didnt master knitting in a day so whats it to you where someone else is in their knitting skills? We all had a starting point, and we probbally all strive towards some grand knitting goal. When Im as good as elizabeth Zimmerman I'll hang up my needles and call it a day.

Just by being at a site like craftster is a testiment that you want to learn and help other people learn. So I think it is awful of you to be "competive" or look down on those who are so amazed that they took a bunch of string and turned it into a scarf that there excited and want to sell it.

Id be a snob if I looked down my nose at you for your attitude, so I wont. Just remember that everyone learns at a differant pace. Dont be so damn uptight.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004 07:17:03 PM by zephren » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004 11:22:55 PM »

"but at the same time it chaps my hide when i read the bios in "stitch n bitch" and these women have publish patterns for sweaters after only knitting for a year."

Do you know what "chaps my hide"? 

Tube patterns. 

Like leg warmers and tube tops. 

Or when someone "creates" a new version of a top down raglan and proclaims their pattern "copyrighted". 

Patterns for garter stich shawls.  Square/rectangle, garter stitch shawls.  Scarves; any kind. 

I know it will be aruged that there are always beginners who need a pattern to make a garter stich shawl.  Blah blah blah.  Fine.  How many of them do I need?  How many "tube" patterns do I need to see?  These are "patterns" that anyone with a brain and a little effort could create on their own.  Instead, there are people making money off of these "patterns" and proclaiming themselves a designer.

Or how about patterns for an ordinary stocking cap...the kind that have been around for years?  Someone "creates" a pattern for it, and then proclaims it copyrighted.  For heaven's sake, you didn't copyright the d@mn thing.  Millions of women before you make that same F-ing hat.  Get over yourself.  (Same for the constantly re-done top down raglan.  How many times does it have to be re-done?)  I have a generic pattern for socks that I "made up".  CO 60 sts and do your sock thing.  Does that mean I have a copyright on it?  Hell, no!  How arrogant would that be?

I guess what bothers me the most about it is that I could have "designed" these patterns myself, but I didn't, because I figured anyone with a brain could figure out that you could CO 24 sts and do 2x2 ribbing for 5 feet to make a scarf.  I figured that any moron could knit a tube.  I foolishly assumed that the world did not need another pattern for a top down raglan or a garter stitch shawl.  But these people are making MONEY off of it. 

Whew....guess I got a bit riled up, there, huh?

I suppose this makes me a competitive knitter, too Smiley

Amanda
thedishclothqueen.typepad.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
amobabe

I'm a llama's mama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004 04:40:49 AM »

oh sheesh isnt one spelling nazi enough? LOL
(see, I already corrected her)

*runs away gigglin*

Actually, you didn't correct her, since your spelling was incorrect too.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zephren
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004 07:04:57 AM »

I am sorry, but if you think those sorts of patterns are so damn ridiculious then why dont you start to write & copright patterns of your own and laugh all the way to the bank?

I see your point, but I also think that your being a bit too pretenious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004 07:12:14 AM »

As far as new patterns, I guess that most everything that could be done has been done, even in the non-basic styles.  And publishing scarf patterns, unless they are innovative stitch patterns with innovative yarn combinations, etc,. and maybe even then, does seem a bit strange.  I bought a copy of a Vogue Knitting Scarves book that DOES have some very innovative patterned scarves.  They're all still your basic long rectangle, but include intarsia and color-block patterns, etc.  But, it's worth remembering that, especially as new yarns come out so often, there will be people who can't do the math the same way others can, and DO need to be told how many stitches it'll take to make a tube that fits their calf.  Obviously there is a market for patterns of that nature, and that IS because not everyone CAN figure it out for themselves, how ever hard that may be for some people to believe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
subloke
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004 07:46:37 AM »

I found 2 Cents!  Here it is!  (sorry, first thing in the morning.  trying to be funny)

I can understand the point of the original punkrockmom post.  I have a tendency to let my inner critic make fun of things that are funny to me.  I can appreciate when someone is really proud of having mastered a new craft.  I celebrate that with them.  But then to see people selling garter stitch scarves or patterns for scarves ticks me off. 

My mom (and her mom before her) knits and crochets.  She works at it in varying degrees of intensity.  But for her, it's about the production of a final piece, not to experiment or to create.  She has made some really amazing pieces over the years, but the thought of working without a pattern freaks her out.  When I tell her I'm trying to figure out how to make something and that I don't have a pattern she can't get over that. 

So I guess what i'm rambling about is this:  While I think it's ridiculous that there are SO many PATTERNS for scarves in basic stitch patterns, and while I think it's equally ridiculous that people who publish them call themselves designers, I understand that there are people who really need to have a pattern (at least at the beginning of their knitting journey).  While I think it's kind of (admittedly mean) funny that people are so proud of their garter stitch scarves, I am very proud of and happy for them that they have mastered something new and are happy with it.  I am amazed by the myriads of websites selling handknits and patterns and I wonder if it's more a matter of business sense at this point?  My friends tell me I should be making things to sell, but I have the business sense of a hammer so I don't do it.  Whose fault is it that I'm not selling any of my own designs or hand knit items?  Mine. 

That doesn't mean I'm not going to inwardly snicker when I see a garter stitch scarf.  But, I will commend the wearer if I know they made it themselves.  I will offer to teach them a new stitch pattern.  I will encourage them to continue on in knitting.

whew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004 09:09:20 AM »

Hmmmmm.  Now my two cents as an "advanced novice knitter."  I have been knitting for about six months.  I have wanted to learn for years and event tried to teach myself two summers ago (total disaster).  I have designed a few patterns for myself only b/c I wasn't able to find patterns (scarves mainly) that were what I wanted or used fibers the way I want too.  I can understand the feeling that I and many other are am a johnny-come-latelys but for me enthusiasm counts for a lot.  Even the simplest most mangled garter stitch scarf gives me a thrill b/c its like seeking the member of a small club.  Someone took the time to try and I think that matters.

I would also like to add that the support, encouragement and interest of more experienced knitters has meant quite a bit.  It has helped me conquer lots of knitting fears and become a better knitter.  We newbies aren't so bad when you get to know us and maybe just maybe have a thing or two to offer.  So a big huge "Thank You" to all the knitter here who have been so helpful (Lothruin, cheekymama, RenaissanceGrrl and everyone else!).

Boo

THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecynthesizer

No llamas, but I've got goats and sheep

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004 11:37:46 AM »

I think some of you guys might be reading too much into punkrockmom's post.  I don't really think she looks down on anyone or judges anyone, but just finds it interesting to think about people's levels of experience when she sees others knitting out in public.  It's an instant connection with someone, and that's an awesome thing, and yes, knitting is all about being an open and accepting community.  But I doubt any of you could say that you haven't seen someone knitting in public and thought maybe their yarn or pattern or technique was ugly or strange, compared to your own tastes.  I think that might have been more of what punkrockmom was getting at. Not so much competition, but comparision and curisoity. While Punkrockmom could probably word things a little more clearly or nicely,I think she seems perceptive, not pretentious. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You are not alive yesterday, you are not alive tommorrow, but you're alive at the moment; if you can grab something for that moment...you have a chance." - Johnny X
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...