A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,310
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Junior mint cropped knit top!  (Read 2165 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Silly

I can't believe I ate the whole thing.

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2007 01:33:10 AM »

This is my fourth experiment with knit tops.  It's a cropped knit top with constrasting trim and slight puffy sleeves (hard to see in the pic; they're more noticable in real life).  I think it looks cute over a looser, longer tank top, but I'd also like to try it over something with a collar.  It reminds me of a junior mint because of the chocolate brown and light color for some reason.  I don't know, I had to name it something...

I'll try to take better pictures as it's difficult to take them with me as the model and photographer.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007 11:22:23 AM by Silly » THIS ROCKS   Logged

By the way, I never liked your face.
Asiago714
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007 05:49:43 AM »

Very cute, I absolutely love it.. great color combinations!..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kluvlove
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007 08:15:20 AM »

I really like the colour combos. The neck is done so well, how did you do it? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~<>ProUd PeSiMiSt<>~
treelove
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007 08:41:37 AM »

That is so cute! I love the neckline and the button detail!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silversark

Queen of France!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007 10:16:31 AM »

Jersey/rib knit is so difficult to work with, you did really well! I hope you have a serger  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make Elegant Gothic Lolita goods on commission, and sometimes I just make things for the online store!

http://silversark.etsy.com/
Silly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007 11:21:17 AM »

Thanks!

For the neckline I always just cut a shape into the main piece and then cut a long, skinny rectangle (make sure it stretches the same way as the fabric) that will be long enough to go around it.  Then I fold that and sew it to the neckline.  If that makes sense?  I cut a rounded square actually for this to see what would happen.  It didn't really do much except make the neckline bunch up a little because the trim had to go around sharp corners and so there was extra fabric.  That's why I added the button (though it doesn't really help, it just looks cute!)  If that doesn't make sense I could explain with pictures.

Silversark - I don't have a serger, but I just got a new Pfaff 2036 and it makes working with knits so easy!  The only problem is that it's slower than a serger since it's just working with two threads at a time (but then I save on thread), and if it's not strong enough I might want to reinforce it with a triple stretch stitch (though no problem on knit tops so far).  I use a special foot for overcasting and a stretch overcast stitch with the length shortened and it makes a really neat stitch that looks serged.  The only problem is that I sometimes go too fast for my machine and the thread will come out, but that only happened twice in the making of this top.  If you turn it inside-out you can't really tell it's not serged unless you really know what you're looking for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

..button-up..

No Dougal, these are small. Those are far away...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007 11:23:04 AM »

YES!!  This top is amazing!  I never would have just made a crop top myself because normally im not that into them but I think you just changed my mind.  I would buy this one from a store.  And I think you are right on the money with something with a collar underneath.  I love the  placement of the button on the neckline.  Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lola_In_Slacks
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007 11:33:08 AM »

Colour combination + Sleeves + Neckline w/button = Adorable! And I love how it looks with the lighter brown tank underneath.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silly

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007 11:38:00 AM »

YES!!  This top is amazing!  I never would have just made a crop top myself because normally im not that into them but I think you just changed my mind.  I would buy this one from a store.  And I think you are right on the money with something with a collar underneath.  I love the  placement of the button on the neckline.  Very nice.

Haha, thanks!  I never like crop tops much myself but earlier yesterday it just popped into my head to try one and I'm pretty pleased!  I made the sleeves too tight because I wasn't measuring or using a pattern, so I can't really wear it over anything with longer sleeves, which is a shame because I'd initially made it to go over a long sleeves collared shirt.  But it's nice all the same Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laurynloo
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007 11:42:30 AM »

I love it, the colors, everything... great sewing skills too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 8/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 9/11
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 7/11
How to Crochet a Hunnie Pot Hat for Preemies Part 5/11
Latest Blog Articles
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...