A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,026
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Double knitting knitalong!  (Read 39399 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Era Vera
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007 12:36:15 PM »

I'm knitting Exchequered as well, but I'm lame and used the colors used in the original. Which I'm not so sure I'll actually wear, I don't wear alot of bright yellow and black. I'm not very far, but I'll get a picture when I think of it.

The double knitting has been pretty easy for me, although there was definitely a bit of trial and error in the beginning. I haven't been working on it much lately, but I did knit in class every day last week.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 12:39:30 PM by Era Vera » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
inle_rah
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007 12:50:57 PM »

I am knitting Exchequered as a gift for someone, and his favorite color is blue, so I wanted to use that, and the grey seemed to look good with it.  So far, I am happy with the way the colors are working out.  Sadly, I haven't had a chance to work on it in the last week.  I'd love to see pics of everyone else's progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

about me
my wists
Ravelry
My Etsy
Personal swaps?  Yes, please.
Era Vera
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007 04:21:12 PM »

Oh, also, I stopped using the chart pretty quickly and just put squares wherever I felt like they should go (and that they could go in the checkered pattern).

As you can see, the sides of mine are sort of bad, and I think the yellow side is pretty ugly. Oh well, I don't even think I'll end up wearing this much or anything, it was more about trying something new.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010 01:54:27 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
kyou

Pinktank - The Knitters Army

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007 06:09:28 PM »

I've been working on and off on a double knit bikini for a few years. I should probably finish it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinktank.etsy.com - Hat Patterns

Check out my blog and enter my first contest! http://thepinktank.blogspot.com
Baigneuse
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007 06:18:01 PM »

I want to try this so as soon as I've finished some swap stuff I'm going to have a go at one of these double knit skull scarves http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=118882.0 Might add more skulls in between the stripes if I pick it up quickly.

I'm working on the exact same scarf! I started this with the intention of giving it for my sister's birthday but I didn't finish. Then it was going to be for Christmas but that didn't happen. Once I got past the chart I didn't get far. Hopefully this KAL will help drive me to finish in time for her next B-day. A progress shot, I have a few more stripes done since I took this photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007 06:32:57 PM »

I'm working on Exchequered as well! Grin
I'm more than halfway through, using a silver/black combination. It was supposed to be a Christmas present for a friend, but I'm thinking maybe late New Year's present? Haha.
I'll try and post a progress picture soon to help encourage the double knitting! It's a bit confusing at first, but now I can knit the checkers without using a chart so it's nice.
Ooh and I love that herringbone scarf! I want it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
tamagotchi
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007 06:49:34 PM »

Oooh, I'll jump in on this one.  Tomorrow I'm going to buy the yarn for this:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=112306.0

But I've decided to sub the Anticraft "Snowball's Chance in Hell" pattern instead of stars.  This is my first double knitting project, so I'm pretty nervous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2007 08:32:33 PM »

Don't be nervous! It's not that hard once you get the hang of it, it's kind of like k1p1 rib. The hardest thing for me in the beginning was trying to read my chart, had to rip out the beginning about 10 times! Then again it was also cos of the houndstooth pattern I chose.

Right now what's slowing me down a lot is the way I'm holding the yarn.. I knit English, so I'm just holding both yarns in my right hand and dropping whichever one I don't need. I hold the yarn retarded cos I'm self taught, I can't wind it around my finger or else my tension goes haywire  Angry maybe I should reteach myself. Is anyone doing their knitting with one strand of yarn in each hand? I bet it goes much faster that way..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bespectacled
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007 05:26:11 PM »

Mkay here's a rough idea of what I have right now. Sorry it isn't a full view and the picture isn't incredible.. I was lazy so I used my phone and my desk Cheesy

It's about 40" long and I'm aiming for at least 60" or so.. So much for the Christmas idea... Haha. Oh and neekie, I also hold the yarn the english way and can't wrap the yarn around and keep an even tension to save my life, so I feel your pain Grin
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007 11:04:50 PM by bespectacled » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire, you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will. - George Bernard Shaw
tamagotchi
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007 08:19:44 PM »

Right now what's slowing me down a lot is the way I'm holding the yarn.. I knit English, so I'm just holding both yarns in my right hand and dropping whichever one I don't need. I hold the yarn retarded cos I'm self taught, I can't wind it around my finger or else my tension goes haywire  Angry maybe I should reteach myself. Is anyone doing their knitting with one strand of yarn in each hand? I bet it goes much faster that way..

I started knitting my scarf today and so far I've done 17 rows.  I'm about halfway through the first chart.  It goes pretty slowly.  I'm also having trouble holding the yarn - I knit Continental style, but I keep dropping the CC by accident.  Plus my fingers get all cramped up.  Has anyone developed a really super hold that they want to share?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Aji Namero and Namero Chazuke
How To Make An Asian Meatball Sandwich
How to Make Fragrant Chinese Chicken Wrapped in Lettuce Leaves By Gok Wan
Learn How to Make Coconut SPAM® Sushi!
Sunny Anderson Makes Fancy SPAM® Musubi
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...