A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pillow spirit - first post!  (Read 569 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

domjanlinda
« on: January 07, 2007 04:48:17 AM »

First post, but not the first craft!

The "pillowspirit" is a huggie for good and bad times, and it was made as a birthday present for a friend. I, personally, sometimes still use one for watching things like The Ring and various gore movies (although not anymore for Aliens).

This one's made of caramel fake fur, with a foolproof square-on-square sewing pattern. The pillow inside costed like nothing, but the design is unique and eternal! (Backside says something like "Marit's cuddlespirit")

All I did was cut two squares of fur a bit bigger than the pillow's original size (to allow for enough seam surplus). The trick is: you first need to join the two squares by the zipper, then finish the remaining three sides.

And ta-da: a handy-dandy square pillowcase.

Then it took me a helluva time to track down what "chain stitch" was in English. It struck me to learn that it is "chain stitch.". :/

Chain stitch in such vivid colours looked great on the cream-caramel of the fake fur, but it was tough to get it right. For beginners: chain stitchin on a pre-drawn line is easy and looks really wicked and professional when ready. For intermediates: chain stitch on fake fur is a deadly task, because you have to get the hairs out of the way, and at the same time, keep them in their "natural" direction. (my fake fur HAD a running direction, but not all of them have). This meant that the hairs sometime had to go under the stitches, sometimes they had to stay outside. So I was combing away like crazy all the time. AND had to use brilliantly clear basting (which also brought up the hair problem)

But in the end (by the bottom line with the long word, LOL) I got the hang of it, and it came out quite nicely.

The best thing about it is: after completing the pillowcase itself, adding only two buttons for eyes (strategic placing is a must!), you have already created a completely unique character. You can place the eyes all over the square, the countenance will be different every time.

Well... it's simple, but it was fun. Hope you like it.

PS. I'M NOT COMPLETELY SURE WHETHER THE PICLINKS WORK FROM AROUND THE WORLD, SO PLEASE GIVE ME SOME FEEDBACK. THANKS.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011 10:24:05 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Angry Angel
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007 03:23:50 AM »

Hey, that's cool, and a very good idea. I can imagine that the chain stitch was hard work though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Neapolitan Ice Cream at Home
Rocket Science Uses Liquid Nitrogen to Make Fresh Ice Cream
Love at First Bite Cookies with Chef Marcel Cocit
How to Make Geek Themed Desserts
How to Make Superfood Popsicles
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...