A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,482
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you wish people told you before you became a vegetarian/vegan  (Read 37314 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cupcakeofchaos
« Reply #200 on: March 27, 2008 03:28:36 PM »

I wish someone had told me that I couldnt just take meat off the plate. When i first went veg (about nine years ago) I was 13 and had no clue, so I actually gained weight cause I wasnt eating the right nutrients and ate an ubelievable amount of shit in the process. I still get the 'hungry all the time' feeling lol

i wish someone had told me how cheap it could be ... then how unbelievably expensive!

Like vegge sausages are about NZ$8 (New Zealand Dollars), but then if i stalk the supermarket, I can get veggies for el cheapo at the end of the day Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
insomniacartist
« Reply #201 on: June 06, 2008 03:56:44 PM »

i kinda wish someone had told me that tofu is an acquired taste. i jumped into vegetarianism and almost decided not to eat tofu ever again because at first i could not figure out how to cook it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moomin Bus Rider
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2008 06:43:08 AM »

I came to this part of Craftster to check out some new veggie recipes, and ended up reading the 21 pages of this topic...

As an omni who loves veggies I can relate to a lot of the positive stuff mentioned on this thread! I get frustrated with meat eaters who thinks that a meal is great as long as there's a lot of meat involved, and scoff at delicious veggie stuff. I have recently converted a former picky eater to try all sorts of new foods, mostly vegetables, that he thought of as discusting previously. Now he eats a lot more veg food and consequently a lot less meat. I know it's nowhere near the same thing as being vegetarian, but I think I've done something which will benefit all vegetarians/vegans he meets from now on, since his attitude has changed massively, and his diet too.

I make sure my vegetarian friends always get something cooked for them if they come over for dinner, depending on the company I try to make the main meal vegetarian so that nobody feels left out. I think cooking amazing veg food for friends and family is the best way to make them see why you do it!

As a tee-totaller I can relate to the hostility experienced by veg*ans, I can't tell you how boring it is to answer the same 'why do you not drink any alcohol' question every time I meet new people... The meanest reply I gave was to an annoying guy trying to chat me up at a bar: I patted my belly and said 'The little one doesn't like alcohol' (I wasn't pregnant).... But I got rid of the guy very quickly  Wink

I think humour is a good way to deal with situations which involve these questions (easier said than done, I know), for example when people ask me if I drink wine I always reply 'I prefer fruit juice before it's gone bad...' with a grin.
Most people seem to get the hint and stop asking me silly questions Smiley

Anyhoo, good luck to anyone becoming a veg*an, get cooking and you'll probably find a lot of yummy stuff you never knew existed!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #203 on: June 15, 2008 06:40:30 PM »

the one thing i really wish someone had told me prior to becoming a vegetarian (about 6 years ago) would have to be:
there is no such thing as the perfect animal product-free animal product substitute!
soy doesn't taste anything like milk, applesauce can't perfectly replace eggs in a cake, and don't even get me started on tofu.
this is not to say that veggie foods are bad (they aren't, i would have reverted or starved if they were) but they are not the same- some are better, some are worse than the things they are meant to replace.
i willingly gave up meat (and later found out i was allergic to mammalian meat, oh the irony) but as soon as i realised that there were some things i would never be able to eat again (cheese for instance) i pretty much gave up eating substitute foods. vegetarian foods are different, its a life style change. say what you like, but some weird looking soy product is never going to replace dairy and once i got over that i feel i was more able, and willing, to accept my vegetarian diet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
serendipity3_82
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2008 04:52:56 PM »

Mind you, I'm lacto-ovo, but I agree with Brookem.  I honestly think the best vegetarian food is the stuff that was originally vegetarian (or almost at least if you tweak sauces/broth). (For instance, Indian food is frickin' amazing, along with a lot of Asian tofu dishes). A dish that has a ton of substitutes in it, I'm not a huge fan of. A veggie hot dog or faux chicken is good every now and then, but vegan cheese (IMO) is GROSS.  Besides, I don't know how great that stuff is for you anyway. Vegan/Vegetarian processed food is processed food.  And I think it helps to take food like tofu, soymilk, seitan, and tempeh on its own terms and not expect to turn it into something that tastes like meat.  I definitely love the fact that soy milk tastes nothing like cow milk and tofu/seitan/tempeh doesn't have the same texture as meat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brookem
« Reply #205 on: June 19, 2008 02:41:29 AM »

rereading my post i think my main point is because substitute foods often pale in comparison to the real thing (ie: tofu bacon, or real bacon? ethics aside its not a hard choice) you have to branch out, try new things, accept that your diet is completely different now. as a vegetarian, i am a way more adventurous eater and, for me, that is one of the surprising positives of vegetarianism.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
CinnamonCrane

Impossible, you say?

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2008 09:25:10 PM »

Hmmm... I'm not terribly original, but life goes on.

1. That by not eating meat, you become much more aware of what you do eat. Once you start having to think about what you're putting in your mouth, you can surprise yourself. (Of course, this isn't limited to the veggie set... I am sadly no longer able to be veggie, but still have some holdover "veggie traits"---like eating more carbs than the average joe. One day, I counted the amount of cereal I ate... disgusting!!)

2. That by becoming more aware of what you do eat, you become more aware of your impact on the earth. I had never thought about how my hamburger habits might impact the politics in South America. 

3. That if you go back, the guilt is rough.

4. That no matter what, people will think you're a PETA paint-slinger. This made me absolutely CRAZY. I can see why people might make the assumptions---short hair, chuck taylors, theater kid... but even so! I don't consider myself to be "counterculture", and I CERTAINLY do not see anything about my life as "radical". I'm Quaker, for crying out loud!!  Tongue But no matter what, people viewed me as some kind of punk, trying to subvert the system. So frustrating to me.

5. That being nicer to the planet and to animals brought me closer to God.

6. That there are a lot of aspects of Vegetarianism that veggies would rather that people ignore.

I don't to put a damper on things... but it was really frustrating to me when everyone kept reminding me that being Veggie would make me healthier. I am hypothyroid, meaning that my body doesn't produce enough of certain hormones, basically. So things like metabolism, growth, general hormones, whatnot--those are all screwy in my body. My thyroid function took a hit as a result of being vegetarian. This, in turn, led to upping my meds. Upping my meds lead to my developing symptoms similar to those of mental illness, a turn which resulted in my being forced to take a year away from high school to recover from my "mental trauma." Only problem was, there was no trauma! Switching back the meds and eating the darn steak changed things so much more than I could imagine.

I guess what I'm trying to say with that life story is that there isn't just rudeness from the carnivore side. I was criticized for going back to my meat-eating ways, even though it was very clearly in my best interest to do so. Not saying people HERE do this, but some veggie friends still act very holier-than-thou because they don't eat flesh. I think there are bigger things to think about.

At the same time, though, being veggie was a positive experience for the majority of my 3 1/2 years of doing so, and I do miss it. However, I still do my best to retain my vegetarian sensibilities even when eating meat for my health. I enjoyed the most delicious steak I've ever had today---and it was grass-fed beef. Much leaner, but more tender and flavorful. And did we mention better for the earth? Oh, yeah, that.  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Brains are an asset, if you hide them." - Mae West
bigeyes
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2008 09:51:13 PM »

6. That there are a lot of aspects of Vegetarianism that veggies would rather that people ignore.

I don't to put a damper on things... but it was really frustrating to me when everyone kept reminding me that being Veggie would make me healthier. I am hypothyroid, meaning that my body doesn't produce enough of certain hormones, basically. So things like metabolism, growth, general hormones, whatnot--those are all screwy in my body. My thyroid function took a hit as a result of being vegetarian. This, in turn, led to upping my meds. Upping my meds lead to my developing symptoms similar to those of mental illness, a turn which resulted in my being forced to take a year away from high school to recover from my "mental trauma." Only problem was, there was no trauma! Switching back the meds and eating the darn steak changed things so much more than I could imagine.

I guess what I'm trying to say with that life story is that there isn't just rudeness from the carnivore side. I was criticized for going back to my meat-eating ways, even though it was very clearly in my best interest to do so. Not saying people HERE do this, but some veggie friends still act very holier-than-thou because they don't eat flesh. I think there are bigger things to think about.

At the same time, though, being veggie was a positive experience for the majority of my 3 1/2 years of doing so, and I do miss it. However, I still do my best to retain my vegetarian sensibilities even when eating meat for my health. I enjoyed the most delicious steak I've ever had today---and it was grass-fed beef. Much leaner, but more tender and flavorful. And did we mention better for the earth? Oh, yeah, that.  Cheesy

Thank you for saying this.  I had a very militant veggie friend who tried to force/trick people into eating vegan, and as a hypo patient who also effed up my health with too much soy, I get very PO'd about this.  I already know way more about how food affects our health than many of the vegetarians I know, and it is insulting when they start telling me how healthy soy is, when clearly they have no clue about my health issues or the real dangers of  unfermented soy.  I would never try to trick a vegetarian into eating animal products, and I expect my friends to treat me with the same respect regardless of their opinion about my eating habits.   My thyroid medication itself comes from pigs, the synthetic hormones never relieved all my symptoms, so if I were a vegan I would have problems taking medications even.   I think it's great if you can avoid animal products for your own moral reasons, but in my case, my life depends on animal products, unfortunately. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
CinnamonCrane

Impossible, you say?

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2008 09:58:20 PM »

High five! I'm glad to know I'm not alone.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Brains are an asset, if you hide them." - Mae West
bigeyes
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2008 10:11:03 PM »

Back atcha!  Cheesy

I have great respect for the philosophy behind being a veggie, it just isn't an option for me, and it isn't nice for someone to imply that it's a character flaw when they don't know the actual reason why it might not be good for everyone.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Applying Highlights to Ethnic Hair
How to Section Your Hair
Creating Volume in Your Hair
Best Way to Blow Dry Your Hair
How to Do French Braiding
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...