A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,705
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you wish people told you before you became a vegetarian/vegan  (Read 36226 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weholdparties
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2007 10:47:57 AM »

I lived in Chandler, Arizona for a while, and coming back there for my dentist appointments it's kind of sad how it's turned out.  There used to be farmland as far as the eye can see, now it's housing developments and a mall.  The longest lasting dairy farm bit the bullet and sold to housing developers last year.  Now if you want fresh dairy you've got Shamrock and that's it for the whole state really [and I'm not even sure how safe any of their products are, I've never seen their cows].
It's definitely sad though that the caring for live beings and food mean the same to industrialists as making bundt cake pans :\.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
M_Hatter
« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2007 07:28:09 AM »

I've been in France for the last three weeks, and let me tell you it is h-a-r-d hard to be a vegetarian in Europe.  However, my program fixed it up so that the other veggies and I would have things to eat.  Usually the food was delicious, a few turned out better than everyone else's [squash quiche with more veggies on the side than you thought possible to put on a plate mmm].  Other times they just took off the meat portion leaving nothing but side dishes and meat residue [eww].
However, seeing the faces of the omnis sitting next to me as I got the best looking meal in the house made it all worth while ;3.
I'm sorry Wink but don't say Europe! I'm a Dutch vegetarian myself and it's just as easy to find vegan/vegetarian products and restaurants as it is in the US! And you'll also find lots of veggie food in Italy, Spain, Germany, Belgium and so on. France is a whole different story, I know.
Outside Paris, France isn't very veggie-friendly. But you actually have alot of vegetarian restaurants and shops in Paris! Smiley

I beg to differ about Spain. Perhaps just the attitude that I observed is different from a traditional one but I doubt it. I lived with a Spanish family for a semester last year and between the meat in about every dish I ever ate and the legs of ham in almost every store I would say vegetarian is VERY hard in Spain. At tapas bars there is meat in almost all of the tapas and at most places a "vegetarian meal" is two pieces of bread with tuna in the middle.
Well, I haven't been to spain myself. Smiley But two of my vegetarian friends visited Barcelona, Valencia and a few small towns in between for a little over two weeks. They came back with amazing stories about the deelish veggie food they've had! (But, indeed, alot of Spanish people tend to give you fish and such when you ask for a veggie meal.)
I googled a little and I guess you're right, because there are more people saying that it's difficult to find veggie food in Spain. So I guess my friends just got really lucky. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2007 09:18:45 AM »

I lived in Chandler, Arizona for a while, and coming back there for my dentist appointments it's kind of sad how it's turned out.  There used to be farmland as far as the eye can see, now it's housing developments and a mall.  The longest lasting dairy farm bit the bullet and sold to housing developers last year.  Now if you want fresh dairy you've got Shamrock and that's it for the whole state really [and I'm not even sure how safe any of their products are, I've never seen their cows].

I took a field trip to shamrock farms when I was little, it isn't a factory farm but it isn't great either. The cows dont have a single inch or dry land; they all walk around in mud/feces. There is about twice as much land as cow so they have enough room to walk if they want too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Madeleine09
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2007 09:29:00 AM »

I am really lucky to have a great local dairy to get milk from. The sell to all the local stores, but are still a mom and pop kind of place, and really encourage people/groups to come and pet the cows and visit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2007 04:10:44 PM »

My sons raise eggs, from real free range hens that head for the barn after supper and wander the yard and pasture after breakfast every day.  I was shocked to read how free range and organic eggs are classified.

Most typical farms realize that their animals thrive on good care, which does make the animals more profitable in the long run.  Up here the local dairys sell to Cass Clay, the farmers are friends/relatives of my family, I will admit, but I think it's fair to say that tree and grass filled pastures, air conditioned milking barns and taking Lucy for a walk down the road when you know she's not feeling quite right is pretty sweet... I don't know of any farmer that uses growth hormones.  Some of the states top producing dairy cows come from the area though, so maybe that isn't typical of other areas.

My family raised hogs for Hormel and I know when we went to sell them, they wouldn't take anything sick.  Market hogs have to be a certain weight other wise the price gets docked if they are over or under weight.  My brother in law raises pigs for Farmland too and while they tend to mass produce a little more than the typical family farm, there is a lot of care that goes into raising their pork.  Real estate prices have been hard on family farms and they're just aren't enough out there anymore.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
timeless
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2007 06:13:03 PM »

I tried fake red meat before. Even thought it doesn't taste like red meat but I still love it. I've tried fake chicken too. To be honest - I can never be a vegetarian. I tried before but it won't work. Even though I don't really eat meat but I can't resist beef/chicken burger.  Grin Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zorka

I make life exciting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2007 04:19:32 PM »

I wish someone would tell my mother that no, vegeterians eat more than vegetable stir frys and salad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!  un-Froomla
ailurophile

Corduroy pillows - they're making headlines!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2007 11:45:13 PM »

I wished I was told how judgmental some people can be, that all family members aren't compassionate and understanding, and thank you will get asked the same million questions a billion and two times.

I wished, and still wish, somebody would tell me its okay to have leather shoes, it's hard to be completely animal-free.

I wish I was told its okay to slip up, like somebody earlier said. You can't be perfect, and if you find there was gelatin in that treat, you don't need to freak out and purge or anything (I don't purge or anything, i was just saying).

And I agree with what somebody earlier said. Soy products don't replace meat, they are a good food by themselves.

And I wish somebody would've told me how much fun it could be, so I would've gone veg sooner!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to leave this world like I came into it: screaming and covered in somebody else's blood.
weholdparties
« Reply #138 on: July 07, 2007 11:37:14 AM »

I'm going to add one.

I wish someone would have told me the thing I would miss most about meat is the sauce they put on it.
Thankfully, I found an amazing website with sauces that I have been craving for a year.  http://veganyumyum.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss_Wrath

Undoubtedly awesome.

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 24, 2007 12:00:50 PM »

I wish that someone had told me that apparently being a vegetarian means I'm a tree hugging, pit hair braiding, free loving hippie. (Apologies to those who enjoy any of the above activities, heh. Wink)

I wish I'd know just how often mushrooms feature in vegetarian food. I can't even being to express how much I despise mushrooms.

I wish I'd been aware that fanatical vegetarians/vegans would try to scold me for my liberal approach to gelatin, leather and even fur, and tell me that I "might as well be swimming in their blood". Seriously... whaaa?!

I abstain from meat because plain and simple, I don't like it. I can appreciate changes in diet for moral and ethical reasons, but they don't play on my conscience. That doesn't make me a bad person.

I wish I'd know I was mildly allergic to soy. That one's a pain, let me tell you.

I wish I'd known that eating with my family would be... interesting. You've seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? And more importantly, the line, "You don't eat no meat? It's okay, I make you lamb.".
That, folks, is my grandmother. No meat? Sure, have some chicken soup. You don't want the soup? You don't love me!

But most importantly, I wish I hadn't been so concerned about how hard or limiting it would be. And knowing that if I ask nicely at restaurants, things can be made up just for me... It's pretty awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without you, dear muse,
I cannot.
I will not.

I am not.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose the Right Vase for Your Flower Arrangement
How to Host a Craft Night
How to Make Tissue Paper Flowers
How to Make Glittering Candles
How to Win At Arm Wrestling
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...