A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you wish people told you before you became a vegetarian/vegan  (Read 37320 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Grousewater
Combining Collegiate-Style Poverty with Craftsy Bumbling Since 2007

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2009 03:17:23 PM »

As someone who lives in the South and has chicken-and-dumplings, meatloaf, and fried fish being shoved at her by grandmothers and a mom who brings home fast food for dinner about five nights a week, I understand what you guys mean about the ridicule. I've only been vegetarian for a few weeks now, and I don't know what I am going to do when I leave college (and controlling my own food supply) to go home for the summer. I haven't even told my mom I was veg yet... The day I was going to tell her, she called me with a big story about how holier-than-thou and ridiculous the vegetarian thing is. I kind of figured she would be this way, honestly.

Another thing I notice on the boards is people talking about how difficult it is to eat at functions... I didn't think at all about this before cutting out meat, but at my sorority's functions, it's pretty much chicken nuggets or pepperoni pizza or grilled hamburgers or... The list goes on. It's too bad I hate salad so much; else I could at least get a free meal instead of having to eat on my own and then go whatever event it is.

EDIT: I thought of something else... I don't like telling people I don't eat meat. I feel like they will think I am doing it for attention or to be a jerk. I only told two people (my best friend and the fellow I'm dating) when I started (or rather, stopped), and since it's just been about three weeks, I still hate having to let people know.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009 03:22:15 PM by Grousewater » THIS ROCKS   Logged
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #261 on: April 16, 2009 01:23:12 PM »

i wish someone had told me that being veggy does not mean being hungry, and that cooking and thinking of recipes would be worlds more fun.
 i wish i had been told that i would feel better and have more energy ( i was told that i would always feel hungry and weak)
 and most of all i wish my husband had told me that he would be supportive and try to do it with me when i was around Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
brookem
« Reply #262 on: April 18, 2009 08:21:51 PM »

i know i have said this before, but i'll say it again. do a scarlett o'hara and always eat before attending any function. unless you are given a specific opportunity to express that you want vegetarian food and that you will not be eating meat i really think its best to take care of your own food needs. i'm happy to nibble on bread and salad, provided i'm not already very hungry. otherwise, i turn into some sort of grumpy monster which isn't fair to others or myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
Avalon_Princes27
Teenage Stitch Witch

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #263 on: April 22, 2009 05:15:53 AM »

I wish someone had told me that my Mum would support me in going veggo, I spent a good five years only thinking about it before finally mentioning it. I was fourteen when I did go veggo, was nice to have my Mum stick up for me when the rest of the family cross examined me over my choice. Later my Mum when vegetarian as well, which made things sooo much easier.

I wish someone had told me how absolutely fantastic tofu tastes

I wish someone had encouraged me to learn to cook, it's only now I've really started making things, though I still have an irrational fear of the oven

I wish someone had told me how confident you can be when standing up for your core beliefs. I'm a shy person naturally but I've gotten really good at blasting people who will not let the matter drop, and even simple things like sending a dish back at a restaurant if it had meat when you specifically ordered a vegetarian version

I wish someone had told me how awful my families guilt trips would make me feel. Before I went veggie it was traditional that my Gran would make me lamb stew every time I was at her house, and she went right on making it and waving it under my nose when I went veggie

I wish someone had told me that every time one of those meat industry adds come on that talk about "humans were made to eat red meat" my father would tell me how unhealthy my diet was.

I wish someone had told me how easy it would be. I'm only vegetarian now, mainly for my Mum as she loves to cook but can't quite handle the whole vegan concept, I move out soon though and when I do will be going full vegan, in a city there's a lot more access to the organic/health food stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
opheliareborn
The Bouncy Insomniac

Talk nerdy to me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2009 03:08:53 AM »

* About all the hidden stuff to watch for.

*That I'd be getting crap from everyone.  Omnis make fun because I'm not normal. Other veggies and vegans give me crap because they're "more" veggie.  Whatever.  That's why I hate labeling this.  I think you should just eat what makes you happy and comfortable and the world be darned.

P.S.  When I talk about Omnis and other veggies, I'm obviously making general statements.  I know not everyone is that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OptToMiss
« Reply #265 on: May 01, 2009 04:41:08 PM »

I just finished reading all 27 pages of this thread and some of it is rather amusing! Cheesy

Before I get into what I wish someone had told me I must say it's rather amusing reading a post that says something along the lines of 'I wish someone had told me that omnis would try to establish veggie cred' and then later reading a post from an omni trying to establish veggie cred for being a vegetarian 'every other day'. NOT to knock those who used to be, and would still be, veggies if not for certain health issues. The irony just kinda makes me giggle.

I only have one thing I wish someone had told me: how satisfied I'd be with my eating experience! For almost 4 years (with a 6 month instance in between somewhere when I ate hamburgers that I don't count in the total time) I ate anything but 'land meat' (i.e. only poultry and seafood-water and sky meat) and eventually I started just feeling bored with eating in general (which was really really bad) until I cooked some recipes from the copy of 'Vegan With a Vengeance' I got for my vegetarian friend. Immediately my interest in food was rekindled and now not only am I a better cook, but a better eater too! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #266 on: May 06, 2009 03:05:08 PM »

Well, I haven't read this whole thread, but for those of you who are struggling to be vegetarian or are not vegetarian because of pressure from friends/family/etc., have you considered being somewhat of a veggie/freegan?  By that I mean, don't directly support the meat industry by buying from it, but if someone will be offended by your refusal of their meal, go ahead and have some.   Doing something is better than doing nothing.

What I wish someone would have told me is that being vegetarian/vegan (at least from the AR perspective) isn't about trying to detect the slightest amount of animal product that may have been hidden in your food. PETA has insane lists of every animal derivitive known to man, and when I first stopped eating meat and was getting into this whole animal rights thing, that overwhelmed me.  I can see how that could overwhelm someone into the point of giving up entirely.   But then someone DID tell me, a while down the line, that that is not the important thing.  Is the fact that you consume a teaspoon of chicken boulion that a well intentioned, but uninformed, grandmother slipped into your vegetable soup really going to have any impact on the suffering of farm animals?   I mean, sure it's gross, if eating meat grosses you out, but causing a preemptive fuss by interrogating someone about the ingredients of the meal they have prepared for you will, in all reality, probably hurt the animal rights cause more than help it.   

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not advising that we sit down and eat whale with the whalers while launching anti-whaling campaigns (ahem, Greenpeace), but I really don't think (for myself anyway) that it is worth the stress and awkward conversations to be sure that everything going into your mouth is entirely unrelated to animal. 

Also I wish someone would have pointed out that Veganism is an ideal, and that no one can be 100% vegan, no matter what the stickers you buy from PETA say.  I mean really, think of all the things that were created by the use of fossil fuels, or how many insects you are killing by keeping your grass well manicured, the bees and gorillas that are dying by the use of your cell phone, or the worms that accidentally get sliced in half while you are digging dirt for your new vegan garden.  I think that's where the people who have the "vegetarians are holier-than-thou" attitude are coming from.   

Just to clarify: veganism is wonderful.  I would like to be more vegan.  But I have had conversations with many vegans who do seem to think that they are better than me because I eat eggs or cheese or honey, and I've seen so many people get so fixated in arguing over the ethics of eating honey or wearing silk that nothing else gets done, and that is baffling to me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

autumnkisses

keep calm and carry on

« Reply #267 on: May 09, 2009 12:33:02 PM »

amen!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps: Fill a Box Canadian Style Round 3:finishing up another swap then all my attention is directed to this!
           I Love Fall: Almost finished!

Wists: http://www.wists.com/autumnkisses
Etsy: http://www.sudsisters.etsy.com
Blog: http://curiouslifeofautumn.blogspot.com/
HM Elfke
aka elfke the strange

weirdo

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 11, 2009 08:28:46 AM »

Just to clarify: veganism is wonderful.  I would like to be more vegan.  But I have had conversations with many vegans who do seem to think that they are better than me because I eat eggs or cheese or honey, and I've seen so many people get so fixated in arguing over the ethics of eating honey or wearing silk that nothing else gets done, and that is baffling to me.

you're damn right about that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep on smiling, cause when you're smiling the whole world smiles with you!
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2009 05:58:19 PM »

right on! who says it has to be all or nothing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3D Features - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Video Improvements - PSCS4 Sneak Peek
Peachpit TV: Grid View in Bridge CS4
Refining Edges in Photoshop
Peachpit TV: Photoshop CS4 Camera Raw Vignette Tip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...