A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you wish people told you before you became a vegetarian/vegan  (Read 39009 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2009 02:07:56 PM »

I wish someone would've told me that when you go into the hospital to have a baby, the "vegetarian" meal they offer you immediately after giving birth consists of Jello and chicken broth. AND, if you protest "but, I'm a vegetarian" they will swap out the Jello with a yogurt that contains just as much gelatin.

Once you are allowed solid foods again, you are offered strange combinations like green beans and a faux sausage patty OR carb-city (pancakes and toast).

Not that hospital food is ever good, but with so many different diet considerations that walk through the doors, you would think that they'd at least know what qualifies as a vegetarian meal.

Trust me - I know from *way* too much experience in a hospital - they can't even manage to do food for the simplest medical conditions, much less anything else. I'm a veerrry sensitive diabetic and my blood sugar skyrockets if I don't eat properly. When I was there, I had to constantly turn back half the meal because they'd give me regular sugar Jello, "juice" that was nothing but sugar water, and other horrors. I gave up on it. I eventually learned (thick head) that I could send my husband to the cafeteria to get food for me and it would be much more appropriate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2009 02:12:56 PM »

cfbandit you are doing well by only eating meat once a week.  The recommended protein serving for an average adult in the United States is one to two servings of protein a week.  A serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards.  I don't have to tell anyone how much that number has been skewed over the years.  Has anyone been to Claim Jumper recently? Haha.

Isn't it awful? I was a little shocked the first time someone called me "meat limiting" when that's what my mother told me was normal back in the day.

My big discovery on Xmas vacation was that Ruby Tuesday will let you order off the lunch menu at dinner so you don't have to have one of their monstrosity sized sandwiches for dinner. My mom, me, my sister in law and my grandmother in law all ordered two minis (mixed between the veg ones and the buffalo ones) and the salad bar and the funniest thing happened.

The people sitting in the booth on each side said, almost nearly at the same time  "Is that all you're eating?"

I almost died laughing. I'd rather eat a big flavorful salad than a 1 lb burger dripping in grease and full of all kinds of franken-stuff. Yech!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
PatchIsHere
« Reply #252 on: February 01, 2009 02:01:00 PM »

Hai, I'm an omni, I came to the vegetarian recipes board because I was interested in better utilizing vegetables and such in ways other than just eating green beans straight from the fridge (no matter how good they are, they get old) I came to this thread and had a ball reading about your guy's experiences, and I actually... decided to buy "Cupcakes take over the world" because I read some good reviews on it from the vegetarian recipes board... I dream of owning a bakery, and this is fairly eye opening, and will help me in that venture so, thank you all Smiley

Someone on page one said that they hoped meat eaters read this board? Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaitFigurine
« Reply #253 on: February 18, 2009 08:20:44 AM »

Hmm...

I wish someone would have told me that I am one hundred percent on my own. Between being forgotten about and teased at every family gathering (for over four years).../sigh...it gets a little old. On the plus side I've gotten better with my retorts Cheesy. One time I went on a class camping trip and I had to defend my eating habits against the entire bus. It was a good time Tongue.

I also wish someone had told me that being veg. means that you don't have to survive only on veggie burgers and fake meats. Because honestly those gross me out. I love garden burgers, but the other stuff...bleck. Especially fake chicken. That stuff tastes and feels like the real thing to me, which in turn makes me barf a little bit.

Oh! And I wish someone had told me that people will shove meat into your face at every possible moment. Being Veg= butt of every joke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starhistnake
« Reply #254 on: March 08, 2009 01:25:49 PM »

It's strange but I've sort of had a reverse thing happen (vegan bothering ex vegans, vegetarian bothering ex vegetarian) with a friend who used to be veg.  She went back to eating meat but waited until we were in a public place in front of a bunch of people to tell me and when she did she got this strange sheepish look on her face, like she thought I was going to yell at her.  Admittedly I was a little upset - that she felt she couldn't tell me without an audience.  I guess she expected me to go all veggier than thou on her because back in her veggie days we used to have conversations about how much better it was not to eat meat. 

I admit it was nice to have someone to talk to about it and share veg experiences but her body is her body and I never said a thing after she told me she was back to meat.  I get enough harassment about my eating habits that I would certainly never do it intentionally to anyone else.

Has anyone had that experience with former veg pals? 

Also, to the whole parenting issue.  We raise our kids in our own religions, right?  Because we want them to have our values?  Well being vegetarian and vegan is just as much a part of our value system as the higher power(s) we do or don't believe in.  Feeding a child meat implies that eating meat is normalcy and that there is nothing wrong with it.  So how do you explain to your child that you won't eat dead flesh but you are giving it to them?

Not that I'm saying that my values should be everyone else s - I am highly against telling everyone else what to do.  But in my opinion raising a kid vegetarian or vegan is the very thing I would expect any vegetarian or vegan parent would do.  If I were to have a child I would most likely raise them vegetarian and hopefully they would tell me if they  chose to eat meat without acting like I might yell at them.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2009 02:29:40 PM »

Has anyone had that experience with former veg pals?  .

Yes. My best friend and I both became vegetarians last year around the same time. We actually did it without telling each other. haha...
Well, over Christmas break she gave in to chicken and has converted back to being an omni. She thought I would be mad but I wasn't. I will admit that I sometimes forget she does eat meat now and slip up and say how gross it is or how she should try this new vegetarian place(which she doesn't mind as much).
But I still love her the same. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ManifestContent
« Reply #256 on: March 22, 2009 01:34:19 PM »

I wish someone would have told me about all those random foods you would never expect to find disgusting meat products in, like frosting, marshmallows, refried beans, pretty much every soup ever, and candy.  There is no reason there has to be connective tissue in gummy bears.  Its weird and I wish I would have found out sooner.

I also wish I would have known that everyone will become instantly worried about my protein intake.  People that would have never cared about what I ate, until I told them I don't eat animal products, now suddenly care.   If I was eating nothing but cake and bacon before, they wouldn't have said anything, but when they find out I'm eating healthy their worried.

Even though it wouldn't have made me change my decision, I would have liked to know that most people will not respect my decision, and people will associate me with PETA.  I'm not part of peta, and I don't support some of the things they do, but when someone finds out about something crazy they did, its suddenly my fault and they expect me to defend them.

It would have been easier to start if I would have known how easy it is, and how much the people that really matter to me, like my best friend, boyfriend, and parents support my decision.  My boyfriend has even become a vegetarian and my mom is slowly getting there. 

Re-fried beans almost always contain lard, especially from fast food and restaurants. 

People who are not vegan/vegetarian are almost always curious, and can be very respectful.  But some of them are pushy and say things like "god put animals here for me to eat" and "I'll eat twice as much meat now that you're not"   I assume this ignorance stems from insecurity, or lack of education on the matter. 

I wish I would have known that since becoming vegan, I've learned to like so many more foods I hated before.  I now eat bananas, cantelope, spinach, broccoli, and quite a few other fruits and veggies that I never liked before.  Its so easy to cook for my self now, and even make things that omnivores will eat as well. 

I also wish I would have known that I actually feel healthy, never get sick, am never tired during the day for no reason, I have more energy, and I'm just plain happier.  I would have changed my eating habits earlier if I knew it would impact my health this much. 

**About the raising vegan/vegetarian kids, I plan on raising mine that way, and I think it would be irresponsible to feed them food that I know would be unhealthy.  Sure, they can have some candy, which is unhealthy, but I'm not feeding my kids rotting flesh laced with hormones, that comes from tortured animals. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps - Just send me a message

My Wists!

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing"      -Dali
Acadian Driftwood
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil

« Reply #257 on: March 22, 2009 02:13:22 PM »

Manifest, I totally know what you mean about people bugging you about your protein intake. They don't seem to worry about their friends who eat two meals a day at McDonald's, which is by far the more unhealthy option.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone have a couple extra felting needles? I'll trade for them!

Pinterest

Etsy shop
Melvinator

It's a miracle!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 13, 2009 02:33:29 PM »

Hey guys Smiley

So, I've been looking through the boards and just wanted to share. I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but I was vegetarian for about three months. i felt healthier and happier those three months than I have since.

But I live in South Carolina. I've got these grandparents that don't understand at all. If she'd invite me over, she'd make something with bacon grease or whatever and just think I wouldn't notice. I got ridiculed every time I was around them and "have you started eating meat again? I know you will soon..." or "when did you start NOT eating meat? you have all your life" like they didn't understand that everyone has to have a starting point.

And I didn't like cooking meat for my husband. I still don't like cooking it. I think that was most of the problem, that I would make a veg dish and he's so picky that he refused to even try it.

It's not that I don't like eating meat, it's kind of part of my daily routine. I know I'd have to work hard again to go all veg and restock the cabinets. It just kills me to be riding down the interstate behind a chicken truck and seeing them all packed in there like that... and I know there are more things that are more disturbing, but that one just hit me really close to home, since it's about once a week I see it.

I'm thinking VERY strongly about trying again and not listening to any of the ridicule. It's my life, my body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2009 10:33:28 AM »

Hey guys Smiley

But I live in South Carolina. I've got these grandparents that don't understand at all. If she'd invite me over, she'd make something with bacon grease or whatever and just think I wouldn't notice. I got ridiculed every time I was around them and "have you started eating meat again? I know you will soon..." or "when did you start NOT eating meat? you have all your life" like they didn't understand that everyone has to have a starting point.

I'm thinking VERY strongly about trying again and not listening to any of the ridicule. It's my life, my body.

I totally get where you're coming from. I live in the Midwest and beef is everywhere. I also come from a meat loving Italian family. Many of them still treat vegetarianism like a cult or a phase I'm going through even after 5 years. I also got the comment, "You ate meat for 24 years" which implies that A. a person has no right to change and  B. I think I'm better than everyone else because I stopped eating meat.

At this point, half of my family goes to great lengths to make sure I have something to eat...dips made with Tofutti, separate spatulas for my Bocas on the grill...and the other half still laces the potato casserole with cream of chicken soup etc. Case in point, last Christmas my family chowed down on prime rib and Italian sausage, the aforementioned potatoes and cookies full of real butter (I'm not vegan but allergic to milk)...Me? I ate a pickle and a slice of bread.

If you feel strongly about giving a vegetarian diet another try - go for it. I try to bring a vegetarian dish and quietly put it out without any neon signs and use it as a chance to educate my family and friends about what vegetarian food is & that it isn't plain tofu and a piece of iceberg lettuce.

Smiley Good luck ~ I know it can be frustrating when your family seems like a hindrance, but I've never thought about going back to eating meat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The History of Pumpkin Pie
How to Make a Delicious Pumpkin Bisque
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds
How to Slow Cook Pork Chops and Sauerkraut
Halloween Snack Ideas - The Rookie Cook
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...