A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you wish people told you before you became a vegetarian/vegan  (Read 36211 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hoosierbuck
"Daddy go hunting!"

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: September 09, 2008 08:54:29 PM »

Can I have some of that coveted "veg cred" since I just read this whole thread?  Kidding.  A very interesting read, though.  You'll catch no grief from this omnivore for anything that was said here.  (Not that you would care anyway.)  I was intrigued to see many things that I agree with, though, especially the comments about hunting.  I always kinda figured that vegans and vegetarians (now I understand the diff.) were part and parcel with PITA, with whom I do have issues.  Glad to know that you are not necessarily. 

Just wanted to say hi and hope that you mightn't be too offended at my posts elsewhere on the site. 

Eat what makes you happy and healthy, and carry on.

HB
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kathhhhhy
The Garbologist's Wife

View Profile WWW
« Reply #231 on: September 10, 2008 02:33:47 PM »

I wish someone would have told me that I can make MIND BLOWING deserts without dairy!!!  I'm refering to Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

Also wish someone would have told me that most sugar is processed using animal products.  I've been a vegetarian for over 13 years and I JUST learned this in the past month or so... a major discovery for me.  I've done some research in the past weeks and have decided to cut out all refined sugars and artificial sweetners.  I've even finally made the move to being vegan.

I wish someone would have told me how that being a vegan opens up a calvalcade of choices for eating... as opposed to excluding choices. There are so many wonderful options it redonkulous.  Yes, redonkulous, people. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2008 11:45:28 AM »

That you should ALWAYS ask if particular soups (and even certain grains) have a meat stock base. Minestrone, miso, french onion, all kinds of soup (and, in some cases, cous cous) sound vegetarian but are oftentimes made with chicken stock or fish stock. That may sound obvious, but I've been a vegetarian for almost 3 years and have just started to figure this out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
imafundork
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2008 08:13:29 PM »

I'm an omni, considering going vegetarian.  I started looking at the vegetarian/vegan boards tonight for my sister. She just became vegetarian a month or so ago. I currently don't eat red meat and only eat chicken 2-3 times a week.  So, I think the transition should be smooth.

I've spent the last three or so hours reading this thread and you all have giving me the courage/confidence to go for it and stop eating meat all together!  Grin

Now the whole vegan thing, I'm not ready for that yet...  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Feel__The__Pressure
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2008 11:33:11 PM »

I wish that somebody had told me that when you tell people that you are a vegetarian, they automatically think that your condeming them because their not, or trying to "convert" them. It's not a cult, people.

I also wish that somebody had told me about the different types of vegetarianism, and that I don't have to follow any special vegetarian rules. If I eat my favorite non-veggie dish (tuna noodle cassarole, yum) once a year, or I want to try some exotic dish I've never had before with meat in it (calamari, for example), the vegetarian police aren't going to come and get me.

I wish someone had told me that veggie burgers don't have to look like real burgers to taste good. That's another important one. My mom got me these weird looking Gardenburgers and I refused to eat them for the longest time because they didn't look like real burgers, but then I tried one and they were delicious. Now I eat all sorts of veggie "burgers" that only resemble burgers because they are patty shaped.

I also wish somebody had informed me more on animal cruelty and the meat industry. I became a vegetarian just because the thought of eating a dead rotting animal makes me want to puke. I didn't realize just how far people will go to mass produce meat as fast as the possibly could until I read Slaughterhouse (which I couldn't finish because I became so obssesive over the book. Reading it made me very seriously depressed to the point where I almost broke down crying in the middle of Algebra. And I got all paranoid about pathogens in my food, even though I wasn't eating meat.) Actually, I wish someone had told me not to read that book, even though I think that everyone really should.

I wish that someone had told me how many people were going to tell me after I told them I was veg, "I would be vegetarian but I just like meat to much, I can't give it up." Most obnoxious thing ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
limegreenjelly

Lesson One Learnt: Dont Sew Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2008 12:28:40 PM »

my boyfriend turned veg a year now, and he should of told me that ice-cream tastes so much nicer in the soya variety especially swedish glace... and also that its pretty hard sometimes to come up with something creative but we get there  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yossarian
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2008 02:15:06 AM »

- That my family would be so cool about it. I had been wanting to go veg for years but always felt too weird bringing it up with my parents (though I have no idea why, they are totally cool, and eat a lot of veg food anyway). I just told them I didn't want to eat meat any more and they were great! Mum gave me lots of recipe books to read, and took me shopping to find heaps of great foods to try.

- That some people are SO ignorant. Here is a conversation I had with my aunt a few weeks ago when I was staying at her house.

HER: Would you like some shrimp?
ME: No thanks, I don't eat meat anymore.
HER: You still eat chicken right, and fish?
ME: No. I don't eat meat anymore. I never ate fish anyway.
HER: You don't eat chicken?
ME: No. I don't eat meat.
HER: Okay.

Later that same night...

HER: Milly (her daughter) is a vegetarian like Kath (my mum, who doesnt eat red meat and has NEVER claimed to be a vegetarian) but with pork.
ME: Huh?
HER: The only meat she eats is pork.
ME: Thats not vegetarianism. Mums not vegetarian either.
HER: Oh Milly eats chicken too. It's just beef she doesn't like.
ME: Oohh.   *walks out of room.*

Shes my aunty, and I love her to death and all, but seriously WTF?? Thing is, thats the second time we've had the 'Tiv doesn't eat meat...but she does eat chicken, right?' and there is a high chance she will say the exact same things next time I see her. RARRR.

I feel so bad that you guys all cop a lot of crap from people about being veg, it's really sad!
People need to learn to be more goddamn accepting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #237 on: October 29, 2008 05:14:50 AM »

I'm not a vegan, or even a vegetarian, but I'm very close to.
Only reading a few pages of this thread, some people have found that they actually feel sick [the user Bigmouth for example] after eating meat products. I totally know where you're coming from!

I visited a naturopath a few years back [a dealer in natural medicines] and he told me that a lot of people suffer from a low acidity level in their stomachs, which is particularly important to help digest meat. Low acidity + meat = little to no digestion of the meat. Your stomach decides, seeing as it can't get nutrients from it, it's gotta leave your body quick smart, and sends it marchin'.

Loving as families are, my Mum doesn't believe that it's a plausible explanation, and tries to force me to eat meat, telling me I'll "get used to it" [Eighteen years later...?].
Even the smell of meat makes me feel ill, and my family is only allowed to have lamb or pork if I'm not home that night at all [I can walk into a kitchen hours after meats been cooked and the room aired out, and I'll feel sick].

I do eat chicken, but even my tolerance to that has dropped a lot. I find free-range is easier to handle than "regular" chicken [though my friends whine that it apparently smells funny]. I much prefer making a good wholesome salad or pasta than endulge in meat.

I wish when I started boycotting meat, someone had taught me a lot about how to make interesting salads. Mum's version consists of lettuce, tomato, and carrot cut up and put side-by-side on a plate.

I wish everyone was educated that protein and iron and so on are available from more produce than meat.

I wish people weren't so oblivious to vegetarian choices. [I once put salted tofu cubes in a salad, and almost everyone thought it was a feta cheese (How? Who knows). Next course, I offered around a plate of tofu-and-steamed-veg, and it was turned down by nearly everybody, because tofu is a "weird hippy food".]

I wish someone would teach my sister that flavouring all her salads and pastas and stir fries with soy sauce isn't the only option. And that eating the same meal each day gets really boring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
lemonader
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2008 04:31:12 PM »

That you should ALWAYS ask if particular soups (and even certain grains) have a meat stock base. Minestrone, miso, french onion, all kinds of soup (and, in some cases, cous cous) sound vegetarian but are oftentimes made with chicken stock or fish stock. That may sound obvious, but I've been a vegetarian for almost 3 years and have just started to figure this out!

OK this is gross what I'm about to say. That onion soup mix that you mix with sour cream to make yummy chip dip? Contains beef.

Miso soup is usually made with fish broth (nauseating thought, I don't even want to picture how they make that). And pho has a beef broth base! You're messin' with my soups, meat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cfbandit

Rock on with your bad self, Penny!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2008 09:04:36 AM »

I want to start out by saying the husband and I aren't vegeterians or vegans. BUT, we don't eat meat more than once a week and we do it for the budget and the environment. We still eat cheese.

I wish people would stop calling me a "vegeterian" like its some kind of disease. Its a lifestyle choice and one we did to help save the environment and because we were looking at no food at all with what meat costs! I also don't think all vegeterians should be lumped into any of the following (of which I have been accused): PETA, radical animal activists, hippies, Indians, solely ethnic food eaters, grass eaters, the super-God people...and those are the ones in the last two weeks I remember.

I wish people had told me that when you go to do the lifestyle, you don't have to do it all at once. The first time we tried was a disaster because we tried to eliminate everything at once. The second time worked because we eliminated one food at a time at our speed, not someone else's. Now we're down to chicken, some fish, and cheese.

I wish that someone had told me to go to the doctor before doing it and make an appointment with a dietitian. Once we did it for the second time around, we eliminated a lot of the "always hungry" and "sickly" issues.

I also wish someone would have told me how hard it is to eliminate cheese from the diet. Giving up milk was easy, yogurt was fine, but cheese...is hard for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: http://craftingyoohooville.blogspot.com
My Wist: http://www.wists.com/cfbandit

Ravelry: cfbandit

Member of the Al-ette Fan Club
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Alcohol Affects Your Skin
The Monday Makeover - The Bordeaux Lip
A Facial With Celebrity Aesthetician Nerida Joy
Top 5 Best Natural Skin Care Products
Three Beauty Products That Moisturize With Hyaluronic Acid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...