A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what do you wish people told you before you became a vegetarian/vegan  (Read 38878 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Cinnam0n_spider
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2008 08:37:23 AM »

My partner and I are going to be having a vegan wedding and certain members of the family have said that no one will come if thats what we do...I'm going to leave this subject at that because I could go on forever.

But it's your wedding! Just tell then it's not a vegan wedding, it's your wedding...and then when you just happen to not serve any animal products in your food (which most likely will be just as good, if not better), well that's just an accident.

I know exactly what you mean about people taking your veganism as what defines you though....in a way that I don't even think is acceptable with other things. Imagine if people acted about other aspects of a person like race or religion in the insulting way they can make you feel about being vegan.

"This is my friend. She's gay! Isn't that silly? Must be a hippy."

-or-

"Oh, you're Jewish? You must miss bacon. Bacon is sooo good. I pity you for your lifelong lacking of bacon. How about you have some bacon, just this once?"

-or worse-

"I understand that you're okay with being black, it's just that my whole family has been white our whole lives and rarely ever get sick. Don't you think being white might be healthier?"

Now, please don't get me wrong. I'm not here saying any weird biased messages, but nobody bases they're whole life around race/gender/sexuality/income levels/religion and yet I always seem to run into people that see me as a VEGAN and nothing else. It doesn't matter that I'm a comic book geek, or a knitter or addict to Venture Bros.....because to them I'm just THE VEGAN.

C'mon people, I spend enough of my life reading labels and considering my food...give me a break from giving you a dissertation on veganism for one night. Go on and ask me what I'm knitting, I promise not to recruit you into my vegan cult.

You are amazing. This is exactly right and also hilarious. On being just "THE VEGAN",  it's almost a sick joke that my name is megan...so i'm known as megan the vegan...I wish to change my name!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hell_kitten
« Reply #221 on: August 01, 2008 03:41:56 AM »

Wow, I have just sat here and read the entire thread!!! I wish to add that when I decided to go veg again after a couple years of relapse, I thought all the people who'd always known me as an omni would start treating me different and special, and to my pleasant surprise, they haven't! My mother in law was just like, "Oh, really? Okay." I am surprised at how easy it has been to revert, and how easy it has been having an omni husband. And he doesn't evevn care that I have only cooked meat for him once in the past month! It's so much easier than I had thought it was going to be! Hopefully I can convince him to give up the animals too. I am thinking about putting photos of happy cows and chickens in the dining area.... lol! I kid, I kid. but, seriously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meow.
lemonader
« Reply #222 on: August 16, 2008 08:18:53 PM »

Any time you get sick...veganism is always the cause. Even doctors sitting infront of you with the results to your blood tests saying my iron, b12 etc are perfect, they will still say its because you are vegan. If you ask them how it is making you unwell they will say because it just is, it's not healthy. Not to be mean to people who eat meat because it's none of my business and I don't have a problem with it, but how many omnivores carefully monitor what they are eating to make sure they are getting all the nutrients etc that they need? I sure as hell never did, I figured if I was eating my meat and vegetables then I was getting everything I need.

Really? That's so unfortunate that medical professionals would do that.

My doctor was my #1 fan when I went vegan. Actually I was vegetarian at the time and told her that I'd gone vegetarian and was transitioning to vegan, and she ran off immediately and printed off half a novel on vegan nutrition for me. She was thrilled, and told me so much. And just to make sure that I was going into veganism with optimal health, she tested my blood for iron and B12 - which is a stroke of good luck as it turns out I have a severe, severe iron deficiency that had to be addressed.

But then again, my doctor rocks pretty hard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cinnam0n_spider
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2008 08:40:49 PM »

Any time you get sick...veganism is always the cause. Even doctors sitting infront of you with the results to your blood tests saying my iron, b12 etc are perfect, they will still say its because you are vegan. If you ask them how it is making you unwell they will say because it just is, it's not healthy. Not to be mean to people who eat meat because it's none of my business and I don't have a problem with it, but how many omnivores carefully monitor what they are eating to make sure they are getting all the nutrients etc that they need? I sure as hell never did, I figured if I was eating my meat and vegetables then I was getting everything I need.

Really? That's so unfortunate that medical professionals would do that.

My doctor was my #1 fan when I went vegan. Actually I was vegetarian at the time and told her that I'd gone vegetarian and was transitioning to vegan, and she ran off immediately and printed off half a novel on vegan nutrition for me. She was thrilled, and told me so much. And just to make sure that I was going into veganism with optimal health, she tested my blood for iron and B12 - which is a stroke of good luck as it turns out I have a severe, severe iron deficiency that had to be addressed.

But then again, my doctor rocks pretty hard.

Oh man I am so jealous, although I have now transferred over to my partners doctor who is very accepting and if he ever has to take medication she makes surethat it is atleast not in a gelatin capsule if there is the option!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScribblePainter
Being normal is highly overrated and rather denotes a lack of courage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2008 01:23:45 PM »

I just want to start off by saying that this thread is great! I am going strictly veggie for this school year (and maybe longer!), but I have been trying to ease myself away from any meat products for the past four months. I love to cook, so I don't think I will have too much of a problem when it comes to cooking for myself. I think the challenges for me will be eating out with friends, and dealing with family and their food. My family eats massive amounts of meat with every meal. When I moved four hours away to attend school, I stopped eating so much and I feel better because of it, so I really want to take the whole plunge into vegetarianism. So I guess we'll see how things go, and I'll be keeping tabs on this thread to let you know my own experiences!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My mother used to watch me draw and she'd just walk away wondering what the hell I was doing.-Dale Chihuly
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2008 07:54:02 AM »

My partner and I are going to be having a vegan wedding and certain members of the family have said that no one will come if thats what we do...I'm going to leave this subject at that because I could go on forever.

I went to a reception recently that served only vegan food. No one seemed to notice the difference including my veggie loving husband until I pointed it out later.

Honestly, it was a better reception than chicken/green bean/mashed potato one I had been to earlier in the year. And no one even noticed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2008 08:26:19 AM »

My "nutrition through the lifespan" teacher gave me the most terrible look the other day when I told her I was vegetarian. It was rediculous. She then spent the next five minutes asking me about my diet, if I take vitamins and how often I go to the doctor for checkups. I was so irritated. I am the only vegetrian in that class and it was rediculous how everyone was treating me. Like I was crazy and need to go to the doctor all the time to make sure I am not sick. Did I mention that about half the class is overweight/obese? They even talk about their poor eating habits and then judge mine. Don't forget this was a Nutrition class.

Also, a lot of vegans at my school(majority are in the 9th grade) treat me worse than they do omnis. because I am just vegetarian and not vegan. It is dumb. And the ones who are rude to me live off of vegan junk food and look seriously unhealthy. I am not saying all vegans are like this,  I have met nice ones, but the ones I know actually know nothing about why they are vegan.
Luckily, my boyfriend actually responded better than I thought he would. He is even looking forward to moving in with me so I can cook for him and give him healthy food. haha.
I am making vegetarian shepard's pie for my mom and sister this week. I am sooo excited. I finally have a chance to cook a real, homemade vegetarian meal for others. Plus my bf is british so if it is a hit, I have something he will eat! yay.
=]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2008 11:12:31 AM »

I wish I had been told that a lot of meat eaters would suddenly become hostile when they found out I was a vegetarian. That they would demand to know why I didn't eat meat and then take my explanation as a challenge to their views instead of an answer to their question.

Also, clearer info on complete proteins would have been helpful that first year.

Also, I wish I had a magic list of all the foods that have gelatin in them for no apparent reason - it was sad to say goodbye to Lucky Charms and Skittles. Skittles especially since the British ones are veg friendly.

I no longer feel weird about avoiding potlucks so I don't have to probe every bringer of food about the potentially meaty contents of their dishes. And I don't feel bad requesting special food a work functions or demanding that my Dad use a separate spatula for my Boca burger at summer cookouts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
brookem
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2008 09:56:53 PM »

how about- always carry emergency mueseli bars? just in case there isn't anything you can eat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ZED'S DEAD BABY
lemonader
« Reply #229 on: September 01, 2008 05:23:28 PM »

I've answered this before but I have new "beefs".

... I wish that someone had told me that every time the topic of food comes up (which it does often, I work with a bunch of moms who love to cook), that my officemate would rationalize her omni-ness to me. My god, if I hear her talk about how she never orders meat at restaurants and only eats it when her husband cooks it ONE MORE TIME...

It's my choice. Mine. Only mine. And the way I eat affects ONLY me. And the animals that I'm not eating, but really, it doesn't affect any other people. It is their GUILT that drives them to rationalize the steak they're chomping on. When I ate meat, I didn't think about what I was eating, or I rationalized it away - and it annoys the crap out of me to see other people doing the same but I can't say anything or I'll be That Angry Vegan Chick. So I'm just going to go along, and bring my tasty vegan bento lunches to work and have them smell frigging amazing, and have people ask me what the heck my lunch is because it smells so friggin' good, and maybe I'll convince someone that vegetables. are. tasty. and you do not need a giant hunk of flesh to make a meal.

Although to not be completely negative, I was pleasantly surprised when my father, the eternal omnivore, the guy who loves to grill any kind of meat out there, tried a bit of my spicy tofurkey dog last night and LIKED it. I was proud! Of course he will never go veg, but I am proud and happy that he's not doing the whole "eww, vegetarian" disapproval thing.

I also wish I'd known the following things:
1. Tofutti Cuties ice cream sandwiches are friggin' delicious. Go try the key lime pie flavour. It's so bad, I eat like two a day.
2. I actually can't digest dairy. Go figure! I give it up, I lose weight. I eat it, I puff up like a puffer fish.
3. Tofu scramble, when done right (i.e. NOT like at the Gladstone Hotel in Toronto, you don't need to flavour it solely with mustard so it looks like there are egg yolks), is tastier than scrambled eggs.
4. It is so much easier to be veg when your partner is veg as well. Veg*ns seem to gravitate toward each other. He also fends off the protein question quite well by professing his obsessive love of tofu. And you have someone to make tofu!fish & chips for you. And you have someone to try new veg restaurants with. And you only have to make ONE MEAL if you're cooking for them. (My ex was omni, the smell of him cooking chicken actually made me throw up. Not the reason we split, but it contributed to the tension.)
5. That I WOULDN'T MISS IT. Really. All in all, I miss two things - firstly, my favourite comfort food - my mother's fried egg on toast, which was delicious because she used so much salty butter in it (which I can now rationalize away by saying it was horrible for me and I shouldn't eat it anyway), and prosciutto (... which I can now rationalize away by looking at the fat content and realizing I shouldn't eat it anyway.) I can even see a perfectly-cooked, juicy yet well-done steak and go "eh. Not interested." because I see it for what it is, which is flesh in a state of decomposition, and not a tasty food item.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008 05:43:39 PM by lemonader » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 28 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tween - Adobe Flash CS3
How to Create a Digital Firework Part 2/2 - Adobe After Effects
How to use the Displacement Filter - Adobe Photoshop
How to Understand Hexadecimal
How to Create Flash Buttons - Flash CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...