A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
619 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are you *TOO* attached to your creations? OR: should I tell my shrink....  (Read 1284 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilgothkatt
« on: January 01, 2007 01:46:52 AM »

I make sock monkeys and sock animals. Knowing my love of socky creatures I recieved some sock monkeys PJ's for christmas. My daughter got a matching pair. I love them.

I thought to myself, "wow, some sock monkey slippers would be awsome with these!" I found some online for $30.00 I thought that was kinda high for slippers and as usual i told myself I could just make them.

The more I thought about those slippers the more I thought about the poor little sock monkeys who gave their lives for them. I thought there is no way I could cut apart one of my sock babies and make clothing from them. I also had this problem when I came up with the idea of a sock monkey purse. With the tail as a handle and the opening along the back. I know it must not be normal to think this way.

But think about this:
I spend hours bringing my socks animals to life. I know their flaws and quirks. They have personality all their own. I write them back stories and give them names. They live in my home until I send them off to their new homes, sometimes I keep in touch with their new familes.

Does anyone else devolpe strong bonds with "toys" they make? Or am I just crazy....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007 08:36:46 AM »

I don't think you're crazy, or if you are I'll march off to the shrink right along with you! Cheesy

I also get very attached to my rag-pets and it's always a little sad to send one off to it's new home. I spend a lot of time on each, sewing, designing and naming. They all have their own personality and to me each one is alive in a way, so it's hard to let them go. The critters live in our bookcase until they're found new homes and even though it feels silly, I wish them good night and tell them good morning. Embarrassed
I also keep in toutch with some of the rag-pets' new owners and it's nice to know that they are in good hands.

If nothing else, I can at least say that every single rag-pet is not only made with love, but also well loved once they're finished.

I do understand why you'd feel bad about taking apart your sock critters to make something else, it'd be like butchering a baby! How about just making the needed sock monkey bits for the slippers, so you won't have to cut up any existing sock monkies for them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007 10:27:29 AM »

I totally know where you're coming from. As my plush toys have become more detailed the more alive they seem. and no matter how much time you spend on them once you've added a face and toes and eyes you've got something that's sort of alive. Even if its not really. Because it's a part of you.
I don't think you're crazy at all. It was really hard to make all the critters I did for Christmas and see them leave. But I intend to check up on them since I know where they all went. Smiley
I think just make the parts for the slippers like the faces or whatever (having never seen one I dunno what they look like lol.) and as for th purse maybe before you stuff the monkey line it and add your zipper. and don't do the face yet. I don't know why but stuffies seem more real to me once they have a face so I do that last. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dammitall
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007 06:00:43 PM »

I couldn't hack up one of my babies, either. 
I'm working on a doll for my SIL that I'm going to have a hard time giving up. 

Toys made from other people's patterns aren't so hard to give away.  I made a pointy kitty for my niece for Christmas, and while I liked how it turned out, it didn't have the extra "spark" my own creations seem to possess.  Go figure.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgothkatt
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007 06:44:05 PM »

well, I think I may have figured out how to trick myself into makign the slippers I so despretely want. I did a series a while back of mutated  monkeys for a private collection. It was definately an interesting project. But I figured monkey slippers are nothing more than seriously mutated monkeys. Sounds odd but it works for me. I don't feel like I'm killing it. Instead just brining to life an abomination. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
dammitall
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007 06:58:43 PM »

I don't feel like I'm killing it. Instead just brining to life an abomination. Cheesy

That's looking on the bright side!    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kitty Vane

toy-making elf

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007 11:43:14 AM »

I don't feel like I'm killing it. Instead just brining to life an abomination. Cheesy

That's looking on the bright side!    Grin

I agree! Cheesy
It's also a really good idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

winter83
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007 01:03:18 PM »

I think you should just make new ones that are for slippers instead of taking ones your already attached to and cutting them up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morning glory

secret agent for the crafty underworld.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007 10:16:35 AM »

i am very attatched to the critters i make too....one lives in my car on the dash board....it watches out for traffic, and police officers....who needs a fuzz buster when you have a three eyed crocodile head in the car!

and i have a realy hard time sending the little critters to live with other people knowing the ruckus they make in my house....keeping us up at night, and eating the left overs and all...

i think your attatchment is normal. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

morning glory......
ludmasson
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007 09:14:13 PM »

Everything I create sits in a slot in my memory. When it comes time to leave home, it's very hard to cope with just the memories, instead of the real thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.exclusionary.com - All of my Artwork is here.
 http://www.myspace.com/1976jasper - Be my friend.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Gifts for Beauty Lovers
Picture Perfect Holiday Glam
5 Lifestyle Tips for December 2013
Top 5 Ways to Save Money on Beauty Products
Kerry Washington Shares Skincare Secrets
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...