A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you recommend the Stitch N Bitch Book for newbie knitters?  (Read 5534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007 07:30:49 PM »

I taught myself just about every knitting skill with the original SnB. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007 09:31:43 PM »

I taught myself to knit (a wee little bit) about seven years ago, using diagrams from a book that came with a beginner kit.  I felt like I really accomplished something when I figured the stitches out--it was like a puzzle.  All my little "projects" (I use the term loosely, because I learned mostly to do it for show in my job) looked really wonky, and I really never got into it.  (Crochet was much easier to for me to improvise with.)

This weekend, I decided to re-teach myself to knit (I didn't remember a single bit of it).  I thought I'd try instructions online before buying a book that might not work for me.  My decision:  knittinghelp.com rules!  If your internet connection is fast enough to watch videos, then try it!  It's like having a knitting instructor in the room with me, and she doesn't get irritated when I ask her to repeat the same instruction twelve times in a row.  And it didn't cost me a thing.  And I am knitting now, by the way.  Smiley  No experience with SNB, but I've known others who learned how to knit with it.  I'm just really cheap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kate86
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007 06:03:25 AM »

i learned to knit from the original SnB & i still find myself referring back to it all the time. i definitely recommend it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"glitter is the herpes of craft supplies" -Demetri Martin
washu
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007 08:21:21 AM »

I couldn't figure knitting out til I got the original SnB.  The website knittinghelp.com has also been absolutely indispensable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007 11:26:11 AM »

SnB was a godsend for me. it's one of those books that i'm constantly going back to as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Misscritta
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007 06:45:32 AM »

This is the book that I bought for my sister in law to teach her how to knit. I don't know if she's had any luck with it, but it had great directions. I, myself, learned from a book that I think was called "I taught myself knitting". It was helpful to learn the very basics, but it took me two years to learn to purl. (Go ahead and laugh.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
Petite_Tricoteuse

J'adore faire le tricot!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007 07:45:17 PM »

definately- its fantastic!!  very fun to read, as well...her crochet book is excellent as well (the Happy hooker)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I always knit in class- what, don't you?  It's just that knitting makes everything better.  For example, calculus isn't nearly as scary when you have some nice 1x1 ribbing to focus on..."
linda63pt
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007 07:54:32 PM »

I used this book to get back into knitting!  I highly recommend the first book for instruction. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007 08:06:07 PM »

Love love love my SnB book!  So glad I've got it.  I also have "Not your Mama's Knitting" or something to that effect and the directions are piss poor.  The projects are decent so I'm not that upset (it was a gift) but I'm CONSTANTLY double checking myself and referring to my SnB book.  I think it's just the way she explains things that I really connect with for some reason.  I also love knittinghelp.com and have used it on many an occasion.  It's great to see the video from the same perspective as if you were holding the yarn yourself.
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007 08:29:11 PM »

Absolutly YES!! I just bought the first SnB last week, and I'm in love with it. I previously had the knit and crochet for dummies book and found the illustrations not very helpful - but after hearing such great things about Debbie's books, I decided to give this one a try. I find that the illustrations and written directions are incredibly clear - I just can't say enough about this book - and am looking forward to picking up SnB Nation (I was going to grab it at the same time as I picked up the first, but my husband limited me to picking one for now and getting the other one later - although, I am glad that I picked this one to go with first   Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Depression Cake
Baked Beans Recipe
How to Make Thin-New York Strip Steak with Potato Wedges
How to Make Sautéed Orange Chicken
How to Make Pork Tenderloin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...