A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you recommend the Stitch N Bitch Book for newbie knitters?  (Read 5524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snappity-snap
« on: January 01, 2007 12:25:35 AM »

i'm a knitting newbie and i'm looking for a book that's easy to understand, goes over the basics and eventually advanced techniques, and has illustrations so i can understand what they're talking about without getting totally lost.  i bought the book ready set knit  and i wasn't really impressed. im going to return it and i'm looking for a new book......
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 02:11:11 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
suganspyyce
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007 12:45:45 AM »

SnB is a great book to learn by.  It has helped others when other books didn't work and they didn't have anyone to teach them.  If it is hands on videos you would rather go by check out knitting-help.com.  If you'd rather not do it on-line then you can buy the knitting CD ROM by Coats and Clark for about $10 from hobby lobby or somewhere similar.  This CD helped me after trying and giving up over a few years and before the SnB book.  Hope I helped ya!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007 12:48:48 AM »

thanks! one question though, which book should i get? SnB nation or SnB the knitter's handbook?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
Seraphy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007 01:03:38 AM »

I'd say get the original SnB.  It's great for teaching basics.  SnB Nation goes over the material from SnB, but in less detail.  It does have a few extra techniques though.  The Knitter's Handbook is primarily for designing, tracking, etc.

I learned to knit through a little scarf pamphlet, but the SnB book is my main reference resource when I don't know how/have forgotten how to do something.

I can vouch for learning from scratch with her books though - I went through three books on crochet before Happy Hooker came out, and I though I would never be able to crochet.  I've had HH for one month, and I have completed 2 projects, am in the middle of 2 more projects, and have started designing a shrug.  I think Debbie is a brilliant teacher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Never anger the Rum Faery" - Justine and Sarah Crow
pleko
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007 01:06:13 AM »

I would also just recommend the first SNB book if you are looking to start with the basics. I learned to knit from this book and by viewing videos online.
I think SNB nation has more patterns and maybe deals with advanced techniques. I am not 100% on that since I don't own it and have only leafed through it at a friend's house.
Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007 01:14:02 AM »

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baigneuse
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007 06:44:30 AM »

I also recommend the SnB knitters handbook. When I was learning to knit it's what I used and I still use it to this day. I also like it because as you work your way through the projects it will list what techniques you need to know and then the page number in which they are listed for your reference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007 12:07:55 PM »

thanks everyone. i'm going to borrow the SnB book from my library and if i really like it, i'll buy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007 02:00:21 PM »

I highly recommend the original SnB book for anyone who loves to knit or wants to learn how to knit.  It covers so much information, spells it all out very clearly and is just plain fun to read and work with.  I made a huge mistake and bought a pattern/learn to knit booklet when I first wanted to take up knitting.  I can't remember the name, it was something like "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting!".  I bought it at Wal-Mart.  It would be more appropriately titled "I Can't Believe Anyone Could Learn how to Knit Using this Book!"  The instructions were so vague and cryptic I ended up throwing it in the trash.  SnB to the rescue!  SnB Nation is a great follow-up to the SnB book.  It does have a small "refresher course" in the back that shows the basic stitches.  It is more in-depth in explaining how to alter patterns to suit your style and sizing information.  It goes into more detail about finishing your pieces and about gauging.  The patterns, in my opinion, are a bit more advanced than the first SnB book, but if you like the first one and you really take to knitting I have to say your collection won't be complete without SnBN. 

I also have the Happy Hooker and have crocheted many projects from it and bought the Knitter's Journal which has little graph paper sheets to make your own Intarsia diagrams  and sketch drawings of girls where you can draw out ideas for tops and accessories.  There are project progress sheets in the back, a stitch guide, a needle and yarn  stash inventory checklist, pages where you can record information for family and friends for gift-making, and more.  And it's the perfect size to just toss in your purse or knitting bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
snappity-snap
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007 05:58:34 PM »

thanks Smiley im planning on going to the library to check out some books before commiting to anything or spending my money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using Flex-Shaft Jewelry Tools
Using Textured Metal to Make Jewelry
Top Jewelry Making Techniques
Jewelry Soldering Basics
Making Metal Jewelry
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...