A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 309,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
551 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you recommend the Stitch N Bitch Book for newbie knitters?  (Read 6278 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snappity-snap
« on: January 01, 2007 12:25:35 AM »

i'm a knitting newbie and i'm looking for a book that's easy to understand, goes over the basics and eventually advanced techniques, and has illustrations so i can understand what they're talking about without getting totally lost.  i bought the book ready set knit  and i wasn't really impressed. im going to return it and i'm looking for a new book......
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 02:11:11 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
suganspyyce
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007 12:45:45 AM »

SnB is a great book to learn by.  It has helped others when other books didn't work and they didn't have anyone to teach them.  If it is hands on videos you would rather go by check out knitting-help.com.  If you'd rather not do it on-line then you can buy the knitting CD ROM by Coats and Clark for about $10 from hobby lobby or somewhere similar.  This CD helped me after trying and giving up over a few years and before the SnB book.  Hope I helped ya!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007 12:48:48 AM »

thanks! one question though, which book should i get? SnB nation or SnB the knitter's handbook?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
Seraphy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007 01:03:38 AM »

I'd say get the original SnB.  It's great for teaching basics.  SnB Nation goes over the material from SnB, but in less detail.  It does have a few extra techniques though.  The Knitter's Handbook is primarily for designing, tracking, etc.

I learned to knit through a little scarf pamphlet, but the SnB book is my main reference resource when I don't know how/have forgotten how to do something.

I can vouch for learning from scratch with her books though - I went through three books on crochet before Happy Hooker came out, and I though I would never be able to crochet.  I've had HH for one month, and I have completed 2 projects, am in the middle of 2 more projects, and have started designing a shrug.  I think Debbie is a brilliant teacher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Never anger the Rum Faery" - Justine and Sarah Crow
pleko
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007 01:06:13 AM »

I would also just recommend the first SNB book if you are looking to start with the basics. I learned to knit from this book and by viewing videos online.
I think SNB nation has more patterns and maybe deals with advanced techniques. I am not 100% on that since I don't own it and have only leafed through it at a friend's house.
Good luck!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007 01:14:02 AM »

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baigneuse
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007 06:44:30 AM »

I also recommend the SnB knitters handbook. When I was learning to knit it's what I used and I still use it to this day. I also like it because as you work your way through the projects it will list what techniques you need to know and then the page number in which they are listed for your reference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007 12:07:55 PM »

thanks everyone. i'm going to borrow the SnB book from my library and if i really like it, i'll buy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007 02:00:21 PM »

I highly recommend the original SnB book for anyone who loves to knit or wants to learn how to knit.  It covers so much information, spells it all out very clearly and is just plain fun to read and work with.  I made a huge mistake and bought a pattern/learn to knit booklet when I first wanted to take up knitting.  I can't remember the name, it was something like "I Can't Believe I'm Knitting!".  I bought it at Wal-Mart.  It would be more appropriately titled "I Can't Believe Anyone Could Learn how to Knit Using this Book!"  The instructions were so vague and cryptic I ended up throwing it in the trash.  SnB to the rescue!  SnB Nation is a great follow-up to the SnB book.  It does have a small "refresher course" in the back that shows the basic stitches.  It is more in-depth in explaining how to alter patterns to suit your style and sizing information.  It goes into more detail about finishing your pieces and about gauging.  The patterns, in my opinion, are a bit more advanced than the first SnB book, but if you like the first one and you really take to knitting I have to say your collection won't be complete without SnBN. 

I also have the Happy Hooker and have crocheted many projects from it and bought the Knitter's Journal which has little graph paper sheets to make your own Intarsia diagrams  and sketch drawings of girls where you can draw out ideas for tops and accessories.  There are project progress sheets in the back, a stitch guide, a needle and yarn  stash inventory checklist, pages where you can record information for family and friends for gift-making, and more.  And it's the perfect size to just toss in your purse or knitting bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
snappity-snap
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007 05:58:34 PM »

thanks Smiley im planning on going to the library to check out some books before commiting to anything or spending my money
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thriftjunkie

if patience started a band, i'd be her biggest fan

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007 07:30:49 PM »

I taught myself just about every knitting skill with the original SnB. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007 09:31:43 PM »

I taught myself to knit (a wee little bit) about seven years ago, using diagrams from a book that came with a beginner kit.  I felt like I really accomplished something when I figured the stitches out--it was like a puzzle.  All my little "projects" (I use the term loosely, because I learned mostly to do it for show in my job) looked really wonky, and I really never got into it.  (Crochet was much easier to for me to improvise with.)

This weekend, I decided to re-teach myself to knit (I didn't remember a single bit of it).  I thought I'd try instructions online before buying a book that might not work for me.  My decision:  knittinghelp.com rules!  If your internet connection is fast enough to watch videos, then try it!  It's like having a knitting instructor in the room with me, and she doesn't get irritated when I ask her to repeat the same instruction twelve times in a row.  And it didn't cost me a thing.  And I am knitting now, by the way.  Smiley  No experience with SNB, but I've known others who learned how to knit with it.  I'm just really cheap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
kate86
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007 06:03:25 AM »

i learned to knit from the original SnB & i still find myself referring back to it all the time. i definitely recommend it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"glitter is the herpes of craft supplies" -Demetri Martin
washu
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007 08:21:21 AM »

I couldn't figure knitting out til I got the original SnB.  The website knittinghelp.com has also been absolutely indispensable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007 11:26:11 AM »

SnB was a godsend for me. it's one of those books that i'm constantly going back to as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Misscritta
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007 06:45:32 AM »

This is the book that I bought for my sister in law to teach her how to knit. I don't know if she's had any luck with it, but it had great directions. I, myself, learned from a book that I think was called "I taught myself knitting". It was helpful to learn the very basics, but it took me two years to learn to purl. (Go ahead and laugh.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'll have a Bloody Mary and a steak sandwich and... a steak sandwich, please.
Petite_Tricoteuse

J'adore faire le tricot!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007 07:45:17 PM »

definately- its fantastic!!  very fun to read, as well...her crochet book is excellent as well (the Happy hooker)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I always knit in class- what, don't you?  It's just that knitting makes everything better.  For example, calculus isn't nearly as scary when you have some nice 1x1 ribbing to focus on..."
linda63pt
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007 07:54:32 PM »

I used this book to get back into knitting!  I highly recommend the first book for instruction. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vtgirl
"Impossible sir, it's in Johnson's underwear."

Loves flow charts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007 08:06:07 PM »

Love love love my SnB book!  So glad I've got it.  I also have "Not your Mama's Knitting" or something to that effect and the directions are piss poor.  The projects are decent so I'm not that upset (it was a gift) but I'm CONSTANTLY double checking myself and referring to my SnB book.  I think it's just the way she explains things that I really connect with for some reason.  I also love knittinghelp.com and have used it on many an occasion.  It's great to see the video from the same perspective as if you were holding the yarn yourself.
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're referring to the incident with the dragon, I was barely involved." ~ Gandalf

Twitter = sicavt
greenapples

I have a knitting obsessed baby boy!

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007 08:29:11 PM »

Absolutly YES!! I just bought the first SnB last week, and I'm in love with it. I previously had the knit and crochet for dummies book and found the illustrations not very helpful - but after hearing such great things about Debbie's books, I decided to give this one a try. I find that the illustrations and written directions are incredibly clear - I just can't say enough about this book - and am looking forward to picking up SnB Nation (I was going to grab it at the same time as I picked up the first, but my husband limited me to picking one for now and getting the other one later - although, I am glad that I picked this one to go with first   Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like something I've made? I'm always up for personal swaps - just send me a PM!
electroclash
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007 09:53:31 PM »

definitely. it's easy to follow and it has a bunch of projects for each skill level.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rebeccarc
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007 03:46:13 AM »

I'm a newbie knitter and I'm learning with SnB, and it's ace, I really recommend it.  It's very clear and easy to learn from, but the only problem is that I think there are certain things you just can't learn from a book, and that you need to watch being done and see how it works in practice.  If I can't quite work something out from the diagrams in SnB, I go on to knittinghelp.com and watch the videos, and they're great help too.  That websitem, combined with SnB, is a ghreat way to learn I'm finding Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherith

...some secrets are better left undiscovered...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007 01:29:31 PM »

The SnB books are great for new knitters.  I'm pretty intimidated by patterns in general still, and I've found that I also love Speed Knitting by Kris Perceval as a good newer knitting book.  It walks you easily through the patterns, and they go quickly so you feel accomplished.  *grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LiveJournal DeviantArt
The Church of Craft for Kansas City!
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."  ~Aristotle
Lola Lola
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009 03:09:22 PM »

The Mason Dixon Books were easier for me to learn by. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Painting Texture and Detail with Fabric Brushes
Painting Stroke Work
Painting Foliage with an Angular Bristle Brush
How to Draw
Pen and Ink Tutorial: Drawing from Observation
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...