A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Autumn weddng DIY's in progress (img heavy and getting heavier)  (Read 2133 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2006 06:52:53 PM »

In the spirit of collecting and sharing cool ideas from other Craftsters... here's some of what I've been working on for my September 07 wedding:
Memorial votives -- photos printed in sepia tone onto velum and double-stick taped to votive holders.  The photos are bad, but they look very nice in person.   I would love to hear any ideas about how to display them.

DONE Card basket: hot glue and a basket I've had for a couple years:

DONE Bout's and corsages from silk - they are pinned onto watercolor paper and labeled for easy reference:

I will be making:
the flower girl dress from an adorable Simplicity pattern closer to the date because my flower girl is growing like a weed!

*done* Here's a super-easy flat-bottomed purse I made for my flower girl from 2 remnants - 1 for six cents and one for a little over a buck -- beautiful sparkly red acetate, and there's loads of it left.  I added some clear glass beads I had laying around and a little applique'd flower on the front the matches the pattern of the fabric I'm using for her dress.

wraps for the bridesmaids, also from Simplicity
little black pursesalso for my bridesmaids using remnant fabric and costing about a total of $3.  Excuse the pics, they are quite nice-looking in person. :-)

possibly the groom's vest (McCall's)
The cake topper - Little People. The idea is from another post on this forum that I thought was SO Cute and original ( http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=47293.0 ).  I am trying to come up with something to go behind them on their pedestal so it doesn't look too blank.

I am still looking for ideas about decoration for the reception and ways to make everyone feel "recognized/special."  So far, I have made/embroidered handkerchiefs for my mom and soon to be mom-in law, and I plan to chip carve some more
ornaments
and boxes for the wedding party. 
Guestbook Pen - a wooden blank that was turned by a friend and ready for carving.  All you do is insert the "guts" of a Bic Stic pen, and there you go.  I think I'm going to paint the ugly little plastic part, or possibly wrap it in ribbon. It will be stained, but it's too cold here for outdoor work or proper ventillation. :-)

My bridesmaids are getting personalized denim totes, which I wil also post when they're done.

Thanks for looking and any comments/suggestions/questions are welcome!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2007 03:40:00 PM by wealhtheow » THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheFarmersWife

The West is Going To Get Wilder Tonight....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007 07:09:24 PM »

So Cute!!! I love what you have done so far - I'm planning a reception (no wedding...we're doing the court house thing so we can have a huge party) for next fall too so we'll have to keep each other posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007 04:14:06 PM »

Thanks so much for the positive response!  I would *love* to check out some of your fall reception ideas as well - please post pics if you think of it! :-)  We're trying to do this "on the cheap side," so we're doing lots of it ourselves -- which, strangely, doesn't really make it that much cheaper... But I have to admit, this wedding stuff is fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatluv
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007 07:04:13 PM »

I love the cake topper idea.  We are using the LEGO set we got from the company.  I have been playing with Little People this year.  I got a vintage family set on eBay last year and drilled holes in their heads to make keychains as christmas presents.    I agree you need some sort of base for them, they are tiny.  Are you going to make some sort of altar, or chuppah for them as well?  That could be cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007 07:21:28 PM »

Initially, what I really wanted to do is find a tiny tree and/or tent to add in the background, since we're avid campers.  Unfortunately, everything I've found was the wrong scale, and I wasn't really sure how to go about making either of those things, so I'm not sure what I want to do.  A little archway might be cute, but I'm hesitant to do anything more with it until I get the cake ordered. All suggestions are welcome! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatluv
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 07:27:36 PM »

it depends on the size of the cake.

however, if you want to do a camping scenario i think it may not be that hard to make a pup tent in the spirit of the old-school figurines.  you would basically need two "poles" for the center line of the tent and then stake it down into the frosting on the four corners.

these figurines are TINY and a small tent could look tasteful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007 03:24:06 PM »

What do you think about the little picnic basket as a pedestal? It kind of ties in with our camping/outdoorsy theme...
Maybe paint it white, add some little flowers? Feedback would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craftinator
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007 05:03:09 PM »

Cute ideas!!

I have an idea to make a tree in the size and shape you want.  I used to work at Michael's doing classes, demos and giving advice to customers.  In the process, I found the makings for trees.

In the aisle that has florist goodies like wire and that green sticky stuff you wrap aroung the stems, there is a wire that is wrapped with tannish colored paper - so it's like that twisted paper but with wire and it's the perfect color for a tree trunk!  You can wrap as many pieces of it together that you need to make it the size you want.

For the tops of the trees, peruse the greenery aisle at Michaels and you'll find tons of different possiblities for the tree leaves, depending on the type of tree you want. 

Maybe I'll get ambitious and take a trip to Michael's and see if I can make one and show you, if you'd like.

You could even make a circle or an arch out of the wrapped wire, to put behind the people then add greenery here and there.

OOh!  If you do a tree or arch or something behind, you could get a little piece of fake grass for them to stand on!!  heehee

The little basket is adorable!!  I can't tell if it should be painted or not - it kinda depends on what is going on with the rest of your decor.  If you're into tiny detail, you could paint some leaves randomly on the basket.

I hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007 04:29:18 PM »

Thanks so much for the cool tree idea! I will definitely check that out. So Creative! :-)
I'm honestly not sure yet what I'm going to do.  I picked up the little basket because it was cute and 25 cents, and I love the archway it provides -- I think I'll have to order the cake first to get a good idea of what I should do with my little people.
 I was thinking a tiny red and white checkered cloth sticking out of the basket would be kind of cute -- I'll have to see if I have a tiny remnant in my stash! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
JohnK Explains Cartoon Construction Pt. 1
Chocolate Painting with Spoon
Student’s ‘Rape Culture’ Artwork Banned from School Show
Giant Dust Storm Engulfs City In Arizona
Tips to Stabilize Your DSLR Videos Without a Tripod
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...