A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Empty wine bottles... prefer wedding related idea  (Read 1945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alana1223
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007 09:20:49 AM »

One of my friends used to score them, then he would crack the top off (I don't really know how he did it, but I can find out if you're still interested) then grind the edges... They make great heavy glass cups!

You could also use them for floating candles, add some glass marbles for tealites, or small flower vases...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rachiepalooza
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007 06:05:14 PM »

If you can get your hands on a kiln you can melt them into cutting boards, candle holders, or spoon rests:) Know any potters?
My studio mate does this on occasion. It's wicked cool.
~m

examples: http://www.savethebottles.com/melted_wine_bottles.htm

OH MAN! My Dad and I just finished rebuilding a kiln. Does anyone have more info on how to do this? (or any other exciting uses for a kiln, beyond clay and such?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmkelsey
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007 02:26:31 AM »

There's this bottle cutting tool I got off delphiglass.com that is easy and safe that cuts any glass bottle perfect and smooth.  It's quite amazing.  There's a few steps but they're easy to follow.  Anyways if you decide to invest in this tool you could make awesome candle holders and perhaps use the top of the bottle as the lid.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fizzle7033
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007 10:14:08 AM »

I'll check it out!! Is it fairly easy to use? I imagine glass shards flying everywhere. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
jmkelsey
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2007 01:20:38 PM »

no it's actually very neat.  You score it then heat it w/ a candle around the score mark, then cool it w/ ice and it break off cleanly.  Check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubyohsosoho
She says what?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007 07:10:46 PM »

This may sound tacky and over-used buuut...what about covering the wine bottles in some sort of material relating to the wedding?  Em...for my own I've used fish net stockings over red material...but that may not be too wedding-oriented.  Smiley  Anyway, then you just stick a single flower or babies breath...simple but cute.  I dunno.  Just an idea though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IxEatxPuppiesx
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2007 04:50:34 PM »

Do you already have centerpeices for the wedding reception tables?

You can some how incorperate it as a vase, or something.
Dunno, though.
That's the first thing that popped into my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronzfrog
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2007 08:07:57 PM »

If your wine bottles are clear you could print a picture of you two on transparency paper.  Cut it so that it is a little smaller than the diameter of the bottle then role it so it would fit inside the neck of the bottle.  Drop it inside and it should unroll.  You could even do this on regular paper but with the transparencies you could use mini lights inside.  With colored wine bottles you could make a wine label with a picture of you two that says yourlastname vineyard and put the date.   If you want to put lights in the bottle I would suggest drilling a hole in the bottom of the bottle.  I have a diamond bit that is 1/2 inch in diameter that I use.  I drill the hole about a 1/4  to 1/2 inch from the bottom.  When I drill the hole I keep the bit wet as then it doesn't wear out as soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HobbyHorseAGoGo.etsy.com
cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2007 11:51:40 PM »

My mom does the Christmas Lights in the bottles...  it makes a PERFECT gift!  If you're planning on using them as centerpieces, though, you might have issues with the cord...  I've heard that they make battery operated Christmas lights...  maybe you could play around with those?

I'll have to take a picture of the one she has with the Grey Goose bottle and show it to you...  might help to have a visual!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
electronicfly
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007 05:07:05 AM »

if the bottles are relatively clear, you can always fill them up with things that remind you of your wife and her of you eg put some sand and shells as a reminder of your first trip to the beach together, then seal it up, box them with the rest you've filled and box them up as a present for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit a Wine Bottle Corset Cover with a Loom Part 3/11
How to Knit a Flat Panel on a Loom
How to Knit a Placemat on a Rectangular Loom Part 1/2
How to Knit a Wavy Pattern on a Loom
How to Knit a Wavy Pattern on a Loom
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...