A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,502
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just like riding a bike  (Read 1126 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

Everything happens for a reason.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 30, 2006 10:00:35 PM »

It's been so long since I've had the chance to sew a purse, I had to say it's just like riding a bike...you never forget.   Grin  Anyhew, the only thing I don't like is that I forgot to add a closure to the top but since it's kind of a tote/purse, it really isn't that big of a deal.  I want to make a matching wallet as well.  The lining I got from Walmart a couple years ago and only bought like a yard of it but now I wish I had bought more.  It's a denim type material as is the outside too.  There was an extra piece I had cut so I appliqued it to the front and hand sewed matching mini beads on each color strip.  All in all I love the bag and can't wait to make more.  Dimensions are:

11" across top
15" across bottom
12.5" tall
Applique is 8" across x 4" down
Strap is 31" long
*Sorry, no measurements of depth, maybe 1.5 to 2"?

Comments welcome...thanks!

Bag sitting up:

Bag laying down:

Applique:

Close up of lining:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TAddictedAngelT
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006 10:08:22 PM »

wow what kind of uh needle stich type did you use to appl your applique?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006 06:35:17 AM »

The applique looks like it is the lining trying to 'peek' through the front of the bag to show itself off!  "Look at me!!!! I'm so pretty!"  Love that idea!  Great beadwork, too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006 08:51:43 AM »

wow what kind of uh needle stich type did you use to appl your applique?

It's pretty much the button hole zig zag stitch but really wide.  On my sewing machine, I set the length at almost "0" and the width at the highest setting which is "5".  I own a Kenmore which is Sears brand.  First I have the cut shape, then I have some very thick adhesive interfacing that I iron on, I then cut the interfacing to the same shape as the design once ironed on.  Then I put the piece where ever I want it placed, pin it in place and start with the zig zag stitch.  Once I get around to the other side where I started (takes a while because the stitch is so close together), I take the two ends and triple tie them together on the front and back of the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006 08:54:53 AM »

The applique looks like it is the lining trying to 'peek' through the front of the bag to show itself off!  "Look at me!!!! I'm so pretty!"  Love that idea!  Great beadwork, too. 

I just had to go back and look at the pics again and you are right about it jumping out from the inside or like peeking through a window.  Smiley

I'm now thinking of a way to add the magnetic clasp or something of the sort and using a kind of cover up.  I definitely do think it needs a closure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

runnermom100863

Sew like there's no tomorrow.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007 06:52:08 PM »

This is a very nice bag and great applique work.  The lining fabric is funky and pretty...it's Waverly, in case you wanted to buy more (it sounded like you do, and I wasn't sure if you knew the fabric brand Smiley). 
For the closure, you could just stitch on 2 lengths of ribbon which are folded under on both ends (so there wouldn't be fraying) and stitch one on each side of the bag (at the top center), attaching it by stitching a "square".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I miss my doggy~Apollo~He'll forever be in my heart

my etsy shop ~ www.lillaka.etsy.com
janetsjunk
Crafty & Artistic Momma

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007 05:22:39 AM »

Thank you for all the information, it is greatly appreciated.  I actually added a closure by seam ripping the middle top part on each side and added the magnetic closure.  Then since it kinda freyed the top edge of the fabric in some places, I used the same stitch I used for the applique and sewed all around the top (zig zag but really tight stitch).  So now it closes.  You can also see the matching wallet I made yesterday (see link below).

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=144074.0

I'm really bummed out after this weekend though.  I knew one of the Walmart's in my area took out their fabric section to build something else in it's place and I took well advantage of the 50% off on all their fabric BUT now I found out this weekend the other Walmart which I frequent more often did the same thing.  Now I have to pay higher prices elsewhere.  I know the fabric is of better quality elsewhere but it's no as affordable.  Anyone else having their Walmart fabric section closed?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007 05:26:06 AM by janetsjunk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cruffins Are the Hottest New Food Trend
Baked Alaska With Gordon Ramsay
How to Make Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
How to Make Lemon Meringue Pie Shots
7 Deliciously Easy Baking Hacks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...