A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Battlestar Galactica gift ideas?  (Read 3099 times)
Tags for this thread: battlestar_galactica , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Reba
« on: December 30, 2006 06:13:07 PM »

This is the first time I've posted in this board, so please don't thwap me if I do something stupid. . .

I'm needing ideas for a combo Christmas/birthday present for my friend Sandra, who's been having a rough time of it lately.  She's really into the (new, not old) Battlestar Galactica series, particularly Mary McDonnell (REALLY into Mary McDonnell).  I know next to nothing about the series, only what she's told me (there are toasters?).  I really want to make this present special, so I don't just want to get her Mary McD DVDs and have that be it.

Any BSG-themed ideas?  I did do a search, but if I missed some great wellspring of BSG ideas I'm really sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007 01:59:50 PM »

I'm interested here too!  My boyfriend is a huge Battlestar fan, but I have yet to sit through an episode.  I don't know if it will help you much, but I know for a fact there are Battlestar callendars out there.

A strange brainwave, I know, but if you can find a way no safely recon a toaster, a Battlestar toaster that doesn't burst into flames would be a really awesome gift, if she has a strange sense of humor.

If you're a seamstress you could make her a costume or even a set of pyjamas that looks like Mary McDonnell's uniform so she can wear them as she watches the show.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007 09:24:38 AM »

I graphed this out for a purse I'm going to crochet, if you can use it, by all means do. Frak is the word that they use instead of the other f word.
This is Pyramid, a game from the show. Maybe you could make a deck or decorate something with cards like that?
Darth Vader Notebook Holder I made out of duct tape for my husband who is a Darth Vader fan. I like these because I can print out any picture and use them for on the covers of these. I made the cover with cardboard from a cereal box, and a pocket that could fit one of the mini legal pads so it's refillable.
HTH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yelutci

Gus, don't be a giant snapping turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007 11:08:54 AM »

Thanks for sharing-this'll be an awesome gift for my little bro's upcoming birthday-I may have to make something for myself first-just to practice. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've heard it both ways.

I'm looking to swap some knit &/or crocheted crafts for handmade CP/HP soap.
sarahpanda
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007 11:11:20 AM »

SKerri13, that is so frakking cool!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitchypanda.etsy.c om
gmail chat: sarahpanda
Reba
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007 05:48:17 PM »

Thanks so much for the suggestions!  I'm thinking I might do something with toasters or airlocks, and I'd totally crochet something with that graph except I've never really tried it before. And that notebook looks really cool, that's a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007 10:04:20 PM »

Okay, my bf totally roped me into this show a couple years ago, and I have to say, it's one of the best shows on television! The cinematography is beautiful!!

Just a quick FYI: I think doing something with a toaster would be hilarious. "Toasters" are derrogatory names that human characters use to refer to the cylons (human-created artificially-intelligent robots who are engaged in a massive war and are killing off the human race).

My BF says "the best gift you could give would be to figure out what the playing cards are that they use in the series and make her a set - because they're always playing that bizarre sort of version of poker." Apparently, the corners are cut off (at 45 degree angles) of every sheet of paper and the cards. Just a tiny detail if you want to be super accurate.

Other options. If the President (Mary McDonnell) is her favorite, look up the episode entitled "Hand of God" (my BF has a mind like a steel trap!). It has the "Prophecy of Pylaea" in it.  You could stencil/print it on a shirt with the image of 12 Vipers (human fighter ships). According to this prophecy, Mary McDonnell's character is going to lead the remaining surviving humans to the promised land (the lost planet Earth) - and Mary McDonnell's character fully believes in this. Your friend would totally recognize the reference immediately.

good luck, hope it's not too late!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007 02:33:57 PM »

I'm a n00b here myself, but this thread jumped out at me, as I'm also a BSG fan.

It would be ironic if you made her a toaster cover, possibly with the "frak" design SKerri13 posted stitched onto it.

Heck, I might make that for myself! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007 03:52:34 PM »

*laughs* I'm trying really hard to figure out a way to turn my cheap toaster into a cylon head.
I bought the original series in that nifty cylon head box, so I put the box out where I could see it while i try to figure out a way to cylon-ise a toaster.
*thinking hard* I've got.. somewhere, a bunch of the 25 promo comics that they put out before putting out the comic book. I got them because I chop up those promo comics into duct tape projects. If you've got a really good comic store nearby, they might have some back issues that shouldn't be more then 50 each.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yelutci

Gus, don't be a giant snapping turtle.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007 09:13:21 AM »

I used the graph to make my little brother dish cloths(thanks again for sharing!) and then I stripped the paper off a coffee can and used a Sharpie to draw a classic Cylon (there's a pic in the lower corner on Scifi Channel's BSG page) on the shiny silver tin. The ripples on the can accentuated the lines just right-sorry I didn't think to take a picture. The Tin Can was the perfect gift container.
p.s. rubbing alchohol works to erase the Sharpie mistakes on the tin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've heard it both ways.

I'm looking to swap some knit &/or crocheted crafts for handmade CP/HP soap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build DSLR Ring-Flash part 1 of 2
How to Build a DSLR Ring-Flash part 2 of 2
How to Clean your Digital SLR sensor
How to Diffuse the Light From the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Camera Exposure Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...