A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Newbie Knitter with Slanting Stockinette Stitch!  (Read 971 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xcrunnergirl
« on: December 30, 2006 12:47:33 AM »

I've been trying to learn to do stockinette stitch, and after realizing I'd been doing twisted stockinette the whole while, I started over, practiced, and then finally felt I had a handle on it.

However, my whole piece slants strangely... This was just a piece to practice on, but I can't figure out what's making it such a "diagonal" shape. I can stretch it to be square, but it won't stay. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

It does make a nice parallelogram shape...

If I figured out what I'm doing, maybe I could harness it to make slants the other way and knit cool zigzags or something. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006 01:28:30 AM »

are you sure you didn't increase irregularly in the beginning? maybe that's why. I get a similar problem sometimes with my yarn surling at the ends...  ???hmm. not sure why either. maybe it's just a knitting mystery...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006 05:16:04 AM »

I can't really see properly because the yarn is verigated, but it still looks like your doing twisted stocking stitch.

Do you knit with the yarn in your left or your right hand?  The reason I ask is if you hold in your left hand you could be knitting a style called combination or eastern uncrossed.  This means you purl "the lazy way" (like I do) and then when you come to work the knit stitches, you twist them.

Does that make any sense  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
elijor
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006 06:44:26 AM »

It does indead look like your still twisting your purl stitches but I don't think that would cause the parallelrogram.

There are some funky looking stitches on the bottom right that could possibly have caused it but it is hard to tell.

When I have made my knitting slant like that on purpose it was by decreasing (knit 2 together) on the right and increasing (knit into the fron and the back of the stitch) on the left. Have there been times when you did not have the same number of stitches as you started with?

knittinghelp.com has excellent videos that might help you see what you are doing different. Sometimes I have to do my knitting right in front of the computer so I can check what I'm doing step by step otherwise my mind thinks I'm doing it the same but there is some small thing that is done differently.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcrunnergirl
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006 12:58:48 PM »

Oh goodness!  Thank you guys for your help! I feel so silly now! I checked out knittinghelp.com, and who knew I have been twisting my knits and somehow purling very strangely all along? I guess that's what I get for trying to teach myself out of a book...

Somehow whatever kind of stitches I have been doing haven't hampered me as much as they could have, because I've been able to make ribbed scarves without any problem (though the fronts of the ribs had funky texture instead of stockinette) But luckily now I can make beautiful stockinette! (made beautiful by all the frustration it took to learn!)

Thanks again!  Grin Now that I'm over this hurdle, my next project is a Harry Potter scarf, and then I want to learn double knitting, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
Amy_UK
Got any sci-fi?

I don't like cricket. Oh, no. I love it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006 01:02:58 PM »

Yay - perfect stocking stitch!
Many happy knitting returns to you!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My new blog: http://dyedinthewool.wordpress.com/
Do you craft?  Are you called Amy, or Amie or Ami?  Join us at http://knittingamys.blogspot.com
funkyhooker
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006 01:09:03 PM »

Don't feel silly!  I've been knitting for quite a while ('bout 5 years?) and I asked the same question at my last stitch and bitch!  I'd been purling with the yarn UNDER the needle for years instead of OVER the needle.  Mine didn't go all askew like yours but it did look funny.  They immidiately told me that I was purling upside down now my SS is flatter than a flitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
eatyerhartout
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006 02:16:34 PM »

I just had to congratulate you! I taught myself how to knit, too. Out of several books, actually. It sure wasn't easy and I'm still learning a lot. Knittinghelp.com was a great way to make sure I was doing things right.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like to do personal swaps now and again.

I knit, crochet, and make stitch markers.

Just pm me if you wanna swap. Smiley
jezzyloo
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006 12:55:03 AM »

i LOVE that yarn! what is it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xcrunnergirl
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006 01:17:07 PM »

i LOVE that yarn! what is it?

I don't think I have the label anymore, but I'm pretty sure it's Red Heart brand. I got it at a thrift store for $1, I think. I still haven't figured out what I should use it for aside from practice yarn. I tried knitting it with ribs, but it looks pretty heinous.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Types of Graffiti Spray Paint
What Is Wildstyle Graffiti
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter O
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter M
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter P
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...