A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,611
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cabaret Raglan - Interweave Summer '04  (Read 4005 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gloriana
« on: October 01, 2004 03:38:10 PM »

I finished this sweater recently and wore it for the first time today (even thought it's from the Summer issue of Interweave Knits, it's still a little heavy for Houston weather, which is still in the 90s!):

http://www.elizabethklett.com/images/cabaret.jpg

I'm going to steal a page from my friend Shelby's book and answer 20 questions about the project, just like she does on her knitting blog, Karmic Knits, http://karmicknits.prettyposies.com...  so here we go!

1. Name of Project: Cabaret Raglan
2. Pattern Source: Interweave Knits, Summer 2004 issue
pattern by Norah Gaugan
3. Yarn: Reynolds Cabaret
4. Fiber & Color: 100% cotton tape in bright red
5. Needles: straight bamboo size 7 & 9, and Denise size 7 needles for finishing the neckline
6. Where did I get the yarn: eBay - I bought 17 skeins, used 10, and sold the extra
7. Is it the yarn called for: Yes
8. How long did it take to knit: 2 weeks - I knitted it way too fast
9. Did I change anything: Yes - I knit the neckline (4 rows of garter stitch) in the round instead of flat.  I also shortened the sides a bit - from 14" to 13".  And I played with the gauge so that it fell between the two smallest sizes.
10. What would I have done differently: Maybe added some shaping to the body.  Also the bottom curls up even though it's not meant to (there are a few rows of garter stitch at the bottom) - I maybe should have made the garter stitch border a bit wider.
11. Were the instructions clear: Yes - very clear, chart was easy to read.
12. What did I learn: that endless stockinette stitch with no shaping is BORING; how to read from a chart (this was my first chart!), and how to use a cable needles (for some of the stitches on the front yoke).
13. Was it worth it: I think so, yes, since I like the way it turned out and it's comfy.
14. Would I do it again: No - knitting the front and back pieces was kind of tedious b/c it was just 13" of stockinette with no shaping.
15. What seaming methods were used: mattress stitch.  I love raglan sleeves - no pesky seaming of sleeve caps into armholes!
16. Will I knit with the yarn again: the Cabaret is nice - it's a stretchy cotton tape that looks a bit like shoelaces but is very nice knit up.  it's easy to work with and even has a very subtle sheen to it.  I might possibly use it again - maybe as a substitute for Rowan Cotton Tape?
17. Do I think Ill wear it: Wore it today - with white capri pants and my Camper "sushi" sandals.  (Yes, I know, it's after Labor Day - but I live in Houston!)
18. Process or Product: product
19. Do I have shoes to match: yes - although I didn't wear them today b/c they're not super comfy.  They are a lovely pair of Nine West red sandals with straps that tie around your ankles.
20. Final Thoughts: I pushed myself too hard while knitting this sweater - I gave myself tendonitis in my left wrist, from which I'm still recovering.  I think sometimes I get way too obsessive with knitting and just want to finish something, and I knit for too long.  With this one, I was looking forward to getting to the fancy front yoke (which I left until last), so I rushed through the other pieces.  Also, I really need to stop tying on new balls of yarn in the middle of rows - I had to block the crap out of this to make sure you couldn't see the places where I wove in the ends.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011 07:45:18 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
tinafish
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004 04:27:35 PM »

i love this sweater. you did an amazing job and it looks great on you. love the color too! the design on the top is kinda like a heart! so pretty...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

goodkarma
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004 06:20:40 PM »

This is the second one I've seen posted online and they both look 10,000x better than the one in the magazine, which I barely batted an eyelash at because it was so baggy on the model. You look really cute in this sweater and I like your 20 questions thingy... it's a good knitting journal entry.

goodkarma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004 06:38:28 PM »

Beautiful job, gloriana. And I agree with tinafish - excellent colour choice.  Also, thanks for the 20 answers.  Very informative.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004 10:20:29 PM »

soooooooo cute!! i loved that pattern when i first saw it and i love it even more now that i've seen someone else who's made it!  looks gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dreamin2
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004 01:25:52 AM »

What a great sweater. I love the colour and the pattern on the front. Although the 13" on stockinette sounds institionializing. But at least you ended up with one awesome sweater! I was curious as to what was behind you in the picture, it looks really neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004 08:12:42 AM »

thanks, y'all!  goodkarma, do you remember where else you've seen one of these posted online?  I'd love to see another version...  and dreamin2, the thingie behind me in the photo is a mobile from Ikea - it's kind of funky - just a floor-to-ceiling suspended set of white disks.  it looks neat (though it's a pain to dust!)  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
paperandglue

Is it nap time yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004 10:44:25 AM »

Great work! And it looks so lovely on you, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodkarma
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004 11:56:33 AM »

This was the first finished Cabaret Raglan I'd seen:

http://p083.ezboard.com/fknittymagazinefrm32.showMessage?topicID=168.topic

I think you both did a great job... like I said, I didn't really give the magazine page a second look because it looked so "sacky" on the model. Serves me right. Now I look a bit closer at all of my magazines and books to see if the fit can be made better.

Thanks for sharing!
goodkarma
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bethann
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004 03:37:52 PM »

That was me who posted over on Knitty. I made it light blue using Paton's Katrina. I agree- although I love this sweater, it was a bit mind-numbing to make. I originally picked this pattern because I wanted to try something a bit more difficult, but it was actually pretty boring. It took me nearly all summer to make it because I kept putting it down.  I'm really pleased with the results though.

I love it in red, gloriana!! It looks great on you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Build DSLR Ring-Flash part 1 of 2
How to Build a DSLR Ring-Flash part 2 of 2
How to Clean your Digital SLR sensor
How to Diffuse the Light From the Canon Macro Twin Lite MT-24EX
Camera Exposure Basics
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...