A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,281
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 1 Fat Quarter + 1 2yr Planner = Super Spiffy Planner or Checkbook Cover  (Read 1192 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mishy
« on: December 29, 2006 05:44:03 PM »

Hey Everyone, because my funds were limited this year, I had to get super crafty with my co-worker gifts (I had 10, even if I spent $10 each, that's a hundred... and to buy a gift under 3 bucks usually ends up a cheesy gift). Well I came across these cheesy lookin 2 year planners one day at a party n dollar store, looked at them, but thought that was still somewhat cheesy. But the idea didn't leave my head, a few days later the lightbulb went off and I desided to embelish it! The girls LOVED them, a few of them actually have asked me if they could "place orders" for them for their friend's b-day gifts (I've had "orders" placed a few times for a few of my crafty creations) But I wanted to share this with all my fellow crafty creators here and if you want a tutorial, I'll be HAPPY to fill the request  Grin!

You could totally run with the idea and do more with the fabrics, and embelishments, buttons, ribbons, applique... if you all do.... PLEASE POST PICS I WANNA SEE HOW GREAT THEY LOOK!!! It only takes like 20 mins at the most to make!!! Tell me what you think!!

The one I made for me was the "trial and error" one, when I embroidered it it came out ITTY BITTY tooo small, and I ran out of the fabric so I made this one for me

« Last Edit: December 29, 2006 06:17:58 PM by Mishy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mylasbags
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006 05:51:35 PM »

I LOVE them!!! I must say that it's no cheesy $3 gift. I would totally love one of these for Christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live, Love, Laugh.. it's what I do!
Mishy
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006 06:06:42 PM »

Thanks!!! Overall I spent less than 20 bucks on them, cause I already have TONS of fabric, and used my embrodiery machine, so I spent less then $2 each out of my current pocket LOL... Thanks for the compliment!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006 07:55:54 PM »

So, you inserted fabric into he plastic sleeve?  Ingenious!  I wish I had a machine that embroidered...........maybe for Valentines Day?  HaHa

So cute.  Thanks for sharing your great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
Mishy
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006 09:53:06 PM »

Thanks... what I did was I took some poster board (went to get cardstock paper, but passed by the poster board and thought it would do better), cut it out the same size as the planner unfolded out (not in the plastic cover).... then I placed it over the fabric and cut the fabric out leaving about an inch of edge, folded those over the cardboard and used a spray adhesive to glue those edges. Then took another piece of poster board the same size I had cut before, and placed it over the side where the raw edges of the fabric were exposed, using spray adhesive again.... I then folded the fabric covered poster board and used the iron to press it so that way the fold was nice and perfect. Inserted into the plastic cover, then put the planner in behind it. But you don't really have to use an embrodiery machine for embelishing, there's many things you can do, like super cute beads on a floral fabric or use gems for eyes on animals or what have you Smiley the possibilities are ENDLESS Smiley But I made sure when I did it, it was something that could lay flat, you couldn't see raw edges, basicly something a botique wouldn't have issues selling LOL. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mebsmommy

searching for inspiration in everything

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006 06:57:04 AM »

Thanks for the tute!  And for the many ideas of how to embellish.  I still think the embroidery is awesome.  I "might" just give this a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The best things you can give your children are roots and wings..............(?)
three thirty three..............my blog:  http://www.three30three.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Megan Moore on Your Makeup Must Haves
The Look of Dolce & Gabbana Fall 2013
Ombré Nails Tutorial
The Look of Versace Fall 2013
Marianna Hewitt on the Makeup Sponge That Will Change Your Life
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...