A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,861
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about digital ATCs  (Read 2256 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

raina.storms
« on: December 29, 2006 04:34:00 PM »

First off, I'd like everyone's opinions on them. Yea or nay. Pros and cons.

Secondly, I'd like to know what programs the craftsters who make and love them use to create them. I'm interested in trying it, but don't know where to start since I don't have photoshop... Any help in that area would be great! Also any printing tips for these would be helpful also.

Thanks! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Harvest

If I hear 'Go ask your mother' one more time....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006 04:44:25 PM »

I like digital cards that still have recognizable artistic elements (color palette, composition, etc) and are creative.
I am just learning with the free GIMP software.  It's not something I'll be comfortable trading for a while since I'm still figuring it out, but I have seen some very awesome digital cards by others.
And I would also like to know how the heck you print them out....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be just an amateur, but I am a passionate amateur.
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006 04:58:14 PM »

Decent printer, high ink setting, good paper...often something like photo paper, which could then be mounted on some cardstock/matboard/etc. to give it some strength.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBag
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006 05:22:01 PM »

I use illustrator for graphic design stuff. I'm somewhere between novice and intermediate so I'm not able to do really cool artsy stuff so I dont feel comfortable making graphic ATCs. I also really like the feel of hand crafted ATCs..

As for printing, you could go get them printed at an office supply store. Those laser printers are a billion times better than any inkjet, plus they have great papers that you can use. Of course, it does cost money ($.89 for an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of 24# paper at Office Max), but the quality makes it totally worth it. Sometimes there are sales at Staples for $.39 color copies so keep your eye open for those great sales Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Teeisme

That's my boy, Petey!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006 08:17:34 PM »

I can't paint or draw so I have to rely on the internet for my images. I think hard, do a bunch of research, and use quality products. Though they are decent and acceptable, nothing beats a hand painted/crafted card in my opinion.

I use Paint Shop Pro 7 and Printmaster for mine.

My future plans are to still use the above for design but actually create the cards with a different medium.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tee
finished the 100 ATC Theme Challenge!!
I'm the ATC - DT in a new Vintage group. Come join me   http://vintageflaire.ning.com/
raina.storms
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006 08:42:42 PM »

Thanks for the input guys! I don't know if I'll ever trade/make them, but it's always good to have the info. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006 10:25:04 PM »

I do digital sometimes but usually use it for the base and then do hand embellishments on top like adding rhinestones or other 3-D elements.

I like Photoshop but it can be a little confusing. I've been using Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006 recently and really like what it can do. And there's a lot you can do in basic Microsoft Word too!

So try it out raina then show us the goods!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raina.storms
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006 10:49:48 PM »

I'm willing to try them! I don't really know what I could do in MS Word, though. Maybe I should download gimp...?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006 10:57:45 AM »

One of the most "talked-about" cards in the ATC & book swap ring I just finished was one kaesea made for Bobolink.  It was all-digital and quite stunning.  I was lucky enough to hold on to it for a while, because I was making Bobolink's book.  I found it quite stare-worthy.  She posted it in the ATC gallery here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=134977.msg1373740#msg1373740
I think the danger in all-digital cards is the same as the danger in no-digital cards:  that it can be too easy to find someone else's image, give it a border or something, and claim it as your own.  But when somebody does something original, then it's art just as much as painting or drawing.  An original digital piece can take as long or longer, and can take as much or more skill and vision.  I think that goes for ATCs as well as for full-scale pieces.  What you do with your medium is what makes it art, I think.  Just my two cents.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
megan+mary

DANGER: CRAFTING ZONE

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006 12:15:15 PM »

I agree. Art is art, it still takes creative thinking to complete. I've done digital art and digital scrapbooking before, but when it comes down to it I love the real thing better. Or maybe I just like to be messy  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will gladly do personal ATC swaps!

I've jumped on the wist bandwagon
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are Juice Cleanses a Good Idea?
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Skin Care Secrets
Helpful Makeup Tools That Make Application Easier
DIY Organic Face Mask for Smooth, Hydrated Skin
Follow Just One Step to Lighten Dark Spots and Acne Scars
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...