A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about digital ATCs  (Read 2372 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hellamanic
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006 03:21:51 PM »

I use photoshop 7. photoshop CS2. for imaging. but i also have other programs which i hardly use. illiustrator. lightroom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
munchie
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006 12:10:30 AM »

Although haven't had time to make a card (with work, life and all) I do work with both traditional drawing and digital mediums for my job. Personally I think like digital cards are jsut as good at handcrafted cards. But like handcrafted cards, the quality of digital cards depends on the materials used and understanding of the programs you use to make it.

If you want to go digital I find photoshop is one of the best programs out there for photo manipulation, painting...well everything really.

One thing i think that jsut makes working digitally easy and fun is a graphics tablet. Once you get one you'll never want to use a mouse again.
You get great control with one of these things. Unlike a mouse these things (depending on model) has pressure sensitivity, allowing you great control over shading, line thickness, and such and such. I use a wacom introus 3. this is a professional model.  the wacom grafires are student ones. both are good (although i love my introus 3) but are abit pricey.
if you're not serious about digital work, you can still get a cheap graphics tablet out there that does the same thing, but of course not as good.

there are many programs you can use. Painter is a good program to use if for drawing/painting if you want a traditional medium feel. It replicates the effect of traditional mediums effectively without the mess.

Illustrator is a vector program. It's good if your not so good at drawing, as you can go in and edit the points manually to get the shape you want. Although personally i perfer using flash (also a vector program used for animation) this is just because i work with this program more at work, and its a hassle running to programs at onces that do similar things.  (HOWEVER illustrator has far more functions).

there are alot of sites that have tutorials for digital painting and photo manipulation. I'm not at my computer now so I don't have access to my bookmarks.
but if you want some inspiration these sites are some of my favorites off the top of my head.

www.nivbed.com (this site has some nice links)
www.gfxartist.com
www.cgtalk.com this one has a forum full of advice on all sorts of digtal programs. (mind you there can be alot of jargon involved)

Wow ok that was a long post.

Pia

THIS ROCKS   Logged
raina.storms
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006 07:16:29 AM »

Although I want to get some version of Photoshop at some point, I don't think I'm willing to invest more cash than that into this. I really do like getting glue and paper bits everywhere! Wink  But of course PhotoShop has many applications, not just digital ATCs, so... yeah.

But thanks for all the info and the links! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006 07:55:32 AM »

Ahhh, the devil's advocate position again:
Since I like the feel of things, I prefer cards with handmade elements and textures.  Even if you don't draw or paint, you can add stamping, paint, glazes, rhinestones, brads, ribbon, etc...and incorporate those into your final design.  AmaryllisRoze is a master at this...she uses one element of design from the net, but constructs the card itself by hand.
For me, personally, I like to make (and recieve) cards that have an artist's handmade touch....a bit of drawing, doodling, or stamping...something to show it was made by hand.  Also, originality is important to me, so if the card is all handmade, it's harder to reproduce, which adds to the intrigue for me as well.
In the end, good design is good design.  There are several artists here at Craftster that make really cool digital cards, Kaesea (and the before mentioned Eiffel tower card she made for me) is one of them.  Teeisme's (digital) cards are on firm backs, which is great. 
I guess good design, quality materials (printer and papers) are what makes a good card, regardless of the methods used to make it.
Having a really great printer is important too....it shouldn't be just a pixelated download from the 'net.  Cause that wouldn't be 'art', would it?

If you are making digital cards, I think it is good to tell the person you are swapping with first though....just my personal opinions and thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raina.storms
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006 08:03:11 AM »

I agree... I would definitely let someone know first if I were swapping one. I think even if I make one, there would have to be something else on it. I can't leave well enough alone! I would have to add scrapbook paper background, or a charm or something to it to get that extra touch/texture element. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amaryllisroze
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Member of the Papercraft Gang

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006 08:36:07 AM »

I've been thinking along the same lines as OY. I've been holding back on responding on this, but now that she did it first, I'll ride her coattails.

All of the digital cards we see...after they are digitally made, are they printed and put on a physical card, regardless of when they will be traded? That seems to be the point of ATCs to me.

I'm not knocking the digital artists! My husband is one and I'm forever amazed at the work that he (and the rest of you) do. Its not something I've mastered. My brain just doesn't work that way.

I also don't draw/paint as well as OY does, so I lean on pre-made images most of the time, then do the rest myself. The composition is what is mine.

And I would also want to know, pre-swap, if the card was entirely digital.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All of my photos are hosted at Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/amaryllisroze/sets/

http://pinterest.com/aroze/

"she knew with the right amount of junk she could create a masterpiece" -- I'm still looking for the right amount of junk
OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006 12:16:49 PM »

I've been thinking along the same lines as OY. I've been holding back on responding on this, but now that she did it first, I'll ride her coattails.
Thanks, I was wondering where you had been.... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raina.storms
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006 12:19:10 PM »

Awesome, I think *most* of craftsters' elite ATC-ers have replied here! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Patti M

Formerly known as pjmclnj!

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006 12:49:18 PM »

I have an installed version of Photoshop on my computer which I tried to use once- man , I am way too old for it!! I like the physical manipulation of materials in creating my ATC's. I have seen some incredible graphic designed ATC's, but I prefer the good old pasting method myself. (Must be my secret wish to be back in grade school!-cut-n-paste rules there!) When I started making ATC's I used my rubber stamps more- now I use a combo of images I have collected as well as my stamps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Favorites-http://www.etsy.com/people/pjmclnj/favorites?ref=si_fav
My wists: http://www.wists.com/pjmclnj
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006 03:00:53 PM »

Since we're playing devil's advocate... Wink

Also, originality is important to me, so if the card is all handmade, it's harder to reproduce, which adds to the intrigue for me as well.
Something involving glue & "bobs" might be harder for the person who made it to reproduce it--but, then again, I think it's just as easy to pass off another's work as your own no matter how you assembled the card.  Is the main interest of the card something that came from the person's own hand and mind?  (And is it not coming from the person's own hand and mind when they "assemble" the design on the computer?  Is something 100% vectored/drawn by someone less original/creative or less a piece of art than commercial scrapbook ephemera or downloads 100% hand-glued into a certain arrangement?)  For what it's worth, I've considered some of my iron-on transfer designs (done on the computer) to be far more my "own" work than some of my stencils (which involved my hand on a paintbrush, but less of my own design). 

Having a really great printer is important too....it shouldn't be just a pixelated download from the 'net.  Cause that wouldn't be 'art', would it?
Okay, I'm done with "devil's advocate."  I've got an "amen, sister" for that one.  Please, y'all, don't print something from the 'net and sign your name to it.  That'd be just dishonest (well, that and lazy).  Smiley

If you are making digital cards, I think it is good to tell the person you are swapping with first though....just my personal opinions and thoughts.
I think that may be a decent plan for any swap.  I think that's just one of many preferences that it's good to state at the outset.  In fairness, I think the person with the preference should be the one to express it (just as I don't expect someone who invites me to dinner to ask whether I'm vegetarian, or allergic to shellfish, or lactose intolerant--the possible list is too long, so it's really my responsibility--although it's nice when people ask if I have any sensitivities or restrictions).  I'd probably say, "Please don't send me a card made with leather" (or ham Cheesy)--or that I'd prefer not to have logos on the card.  Heck, I'm sure there are plenty of folks who love painted/drawn cards but just can't get into collage.  So why waste your collage efforts on them?  But you'd never know unless they told you.  So, OY, I'll consider myself "told" by you.  Smiley

So... anybody gonna "ATC" the new year tonight?  'Fess up, y'all!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Elephant
How to Fold an Origami Kirigami Dove
How to Fold an Origami Cat and Broomstick
How to Fold an Origami Booklet
How to Fold an Origami Millennium Falcon
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...