A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Red T-shirt + White T-shirt + Black T-shirt = RWB T-shirt!  (Read 11904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Aneesah
« on: December 29, 2006 10:21:40 AM »

Just a "cut up old/unwanted t-shirts and merge them into one nice t-shirt" project. All the ... uh, design elements on this were unplanned, I had to do them to solve some problems. Tongue I'm so the trial-and-error, forget planning-and-pattern-drafting type. Roll Eyes

Before:

After:

I've had the red short-sleeved Korea t-shirt (actually there are two, the uncut one in the picture is the bigger one, which I didn't use) for a while, and initially just wanted to make it more fitted, mainly pull the sleeves down so it doesn't fan up so much and look like a boy's t-shirt (which it - sort of - is). But then I thought, the design is pretty darn scary and I wouldn't want to wear this outside the house, so I cut the design out. And then I remembered a wrap-top tutorial at ohmystars.net (and at craftster too, thanks ohmystars!) and decided to do something like that, with pieces from the white shirt for the bias binding.

But it became too small and too tight, I had to wear the (then vest-like top, with short sleeves) by stepping my feet in and pulling it up my shoulders. Cheesy So that's where the rectangular white stripes from the armpit along the sides came in. But then, the sleeves flared up too much and started to look space-suit-y, so I sewed in a little bit and got the stripes to be tapered and pointy. I think that part looks like a football jersey a bit. ^^;

All this while, I planned to wear it over a black long-sleeved shirt but the sleeve area was still especially tight and had creases when my arms were pointing straight down, so I thought; let's just make it a "fake" layered t-shirt so I won't have to wear another shirt underneath it. Ah. Cool So this is where an old long-sleeved black t-shirt came in; cut off the sleeves and a triangle for the front, sewed them on. And finally, the black band at the bottom ('cause I don't usually like horizontal stripes at the waist Undecided ) exists because the hem of the white stripes ended unevenly with the red hem, so I just sewed on a band and tucked the unevenness inside.

I'm still not sure I'd want to wear this in public; the stitching's pretty messy and the inside raw edges are totally ... raw, still. Embarrassed 'Cause I don't have a serger and zigzags don't go along very well with thin knit material. And, well, maybe it looks too funky or handmade? ^^;

Extra pic to show the left area and (accidental) wide neck:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006 10:49:23 AM by Aneesah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
violentjayne
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006 10:44:12 AM »

nice shirt . I think it turned out really good !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chasing_cars

n00b knitter. ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006 11:18:43 AM »

Agreed. 'Tis very cute. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

More out of place than anything you know.
Like an opera at a disco.
When all you wanted was a rock show (tonight).
artisticmonkey
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006 03:10:57 PM »

If you don't want it I totally do  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aneesah
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006 04:04:42 AM »

If you don't want it I totally do  Smiley

Heehee, I still want it, thanks. Wink And I realised the black band looks less obvious when I wear black jeans, so another problem solved. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sarah Beth Durst Talks About Enchanted Ivy
Daniel Yergin Talks About The Prize
The Twilight of Avalon Book Trailer
Kevin Davies Talks About The $1000 Genome
Meet Author Sheila Weller
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...