A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,668
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A monster of a post... pic ridiculous.  (Read 1903 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PinFish
« on: December 29, 2006 08:56:37 AM »

Okay, so a couple of weeks ago I taught myself to crochet. Here is what I made first, a misshapen ball type thing. I gave it to the cats, that is why it is now gross and hairy.

Well, later that day I felt ready for something a bit more intense. So I found this tutorial http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=92096.0 and decided I wanted one. It took a bit of time since it was only my second crocheted thing ever. A few days later I had this cute new purse!

It's actually even, I don't know why it's so lumpy in those pictures. Anyway. I made a matching wallet, too, which is sewn but hey it matches the purse.

Well, then one of my gloves tore! So there was nothing for it but to make some mittens.

They both have flaps, I just folded one under for that pic. I used this pattern: http://www.geocities.com/febmommy/openmitten.html

yeah, when I made the right mitten I had no idea how to join rounds. I did better on the left mitten, I swear. Thumbs a bit wonky on the right one, too.

Well finally (and this is also sewn but crochet related) yesterday, I was looking at all the awesome crafty goodness that I got for christmas (quilter's cutting set, tons of crochet hooks, glass penguin beads, four kinds of kitty fabric, a new set of jewelry pliers/tools) and I realized I needed something to hold all of my crochet hooks, so I made this.

I think it turned out really well. It has 15 slots for hooks, so one slot for each size B-P (10 smaller slots, 5 bigger ones) and a pocket for yarn snips, blunt needles, etc. It also has a felt needlebook with a safety pin in it holding a couple of penguin stitchmarkers that I also made.

Whew! Did you read all that? Congrats. I've been a busy bee, haven't I? Well anyway, thanks for putting up with my blather Tongue
Comments, criticism, etc. very welcome! I'm so new at crochet, and sewing too for that matter, and I love to learn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R3n331
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006 01:56:26 PM »

eeek I love them all but the blue purse is my fav Smiley
Great going
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chocolatesweeties
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006 03:31:42 PM »

Awesome, you are on a roll!  That sweets fabric you lined your bag with is adorable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

razorsharp

rely a bit too heavily on alcohol and irony.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006 09:42:48 PM »

penguin stitch markers? i love penguins (some might go so far as to say its an addiction)
show those too!

also, your purse is adorable. i've been crocheting for a year and i still can't make mittens either. Sad but i make crazy dog sweaters for my puppies!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

design. dye. knit. spin. sip.
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006 09:50:26 PM »

i LOVE the hook case you made! i've been wanting to make one but don't have the patience to b/c i think my sewing machine is broken... and hand sewing is so tedious and i don't have the stamina to use my grandmother's old sewing machine (it's an original singer)

and mittens aren't hard! i've made 2 pairs... going to make a 3rd on commission.
try this pattern http://www.crochetandknitting.com/mitglov2.htm i found it to be easy and straightforward

pick up Stitch'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller from the library, she has a good section on how to crochet in the round. it's a great book for instructions. the patterns are cute, but there's a lot of typos.

congrats on learning crochet and keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006 10:09:03 PM »

I need to make a hook holder but the thought of trying to do it by hand while the sewing machine is being a jerk kind of stops me in my tracks :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
perpetuallyamused
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006 05:49:09 PM »

Wow - really nice work...and you've only been crocheting a couple weeks? I was stuck on practice patches for a really long time before I tried to make anything. Impressive!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
veggiechef
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006 05:50:35 PM »

Wow, I've been crocheting since I was 8 yrs old (that was more than 20 yrs ago, ok more than 30 yrs ago)  and I have not yet gotten up the courage to do mittens.  Nice work!!!!

Love the purse...and the hook roll, is that Laurel Birch fabric?  She's one of my favorite designers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BE the change you wish to see in the world-Gandhi
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Rudolph Holiday Wreath
How to Decorate with Ornaments
How to Personalize Napkins for the Holidays
How to Build a Holiday Centerpiece
What Happened To Handmade?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...