A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
806 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frustrated and ready to give up crochet  (Read 1488 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BoxOfRocks
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006 01:54:47 PM »

Everyone, thanks for your kind words.  The photos actually make the blanket look better than it actually is.  Truly, the edges are warped--the width is 60" in some places, 65" in others.  It's not just the natural scalloping occurring in the pattern.  I was using an N nook, so it wasn't small by any means. 

I'm going to finish this ball of yarn and try to see if at least the bottom can be evened out, and maybe do a few test runs of the pattern border around the edges.  If that doesn't work, I'll have to unwind the whole thing and go with granny squares, which are small enough for me to keep consistent. 

Yes, if that happens, all my work so far is for naught, but I'd rather have to do it over and have a decent looking project rather than give someone a project with an "aggressively homemade" look.  Thanks again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
functionalfluff
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006 02:42:29 PM »

Yes, if that happens, all my work so far is for naught, but I'd rather have to do it over and have a decent looking project rather than give someone a project with an "aggressively homemade" look.  Thanks again.

LOL at "aggressively homemade"  Grin

Hope it works out for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006 02:58:04 PM »

If it makes you feel better I would consider myself pretty good at crochet & I dislike that pattern.

It never takes the time they say & I crochet FAST & it never turns out that size for me either. Even using a bigger hook or bulkier yarn it still seems tiny.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jacquiw
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006 05:43:54 PM »

I think its lovely but i know the frustration and i have been crocheting for longer than six years.If you are unhappy with it then your frustration shows in your project and quite frankly makes you stuff it up even more. Believe me,by that stage you have colored your own judgement against yourself and your project. Stop now take a deep breath and decide to make it a wrap or stole, add fringes and trim so they are even, after youve added them. Give it away to someone you like and tell them its a prayer/blessing shawl.No one will notice the edge because youve 'cheated' with the fringe and it tricks the eye into thinking the edge is straight and worn as a shawl it wont matter.Try not to place limitations on yourself or your talent because your having the equivalent of a crochet bad hair day. You are talented but as a perfectionist you set yourself up to fail. And by golly we won't let you! ok. Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Message From Heidi Montag
James Franco and Michael Cunningham Talk About Youth
Meet Author Jeffery Deaver
Charles R. Smith Jr. Reads a Poem by Langston Hughes
Annie Leonard Talks About The Story of Stuff
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...