A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Recon* Fleece vest to... baby car seat cover! *TUT ADDED 01/17/07*  (Read 10495 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jutybo
« on: December 28, 2006 07:28:07 PM »

I'd been trying to find one of these car seat covers for awhile, but they're either expensive and nice-looking or cheap and not-so-nice looking... so I made one out of an old fleece vest I had in the closet.  Took me about a half and hour!   Grin  I love instant gratification.
For reference, here's one that I liked the style of (since it didn't go under the baby) but not the color: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2501237&cp=2255983.2256187.2256192&view=all&parentPage=family

And here's the one I made:

That's an infant head rest that you see inside the head opening (the cream-colored part).

I guess you could use the pockets for a pacifier or something, but I just liked how they looked.   Wink
What do you think?  Comments welcome!
 Grin

HERE'S THE TUTORIAL!!   Grin  Took me long enough...
1. Start with your vest all zipped up; it will make things easier for you.  Cut each side seam from the bottom of the armhole to the bottom of the vest like so:

2. Open up your vest so it looks like this:

You'll probably have armhole ribbing on only part of the sides- if you're lazy like me and just want the cover to be functional NOW, fleece won't fray so you can leave the vest sides as is... or, if you'd like the edges to look better, you can sew on some hem tape or something right over the cut egde as well as the existing ribbing and no one will be the wiser.  Here's what it will look like if you leave it as is:

... a little unfinished, but you (I) can always go back and add the hem tape later.

3. Lay the vest out over the carseat (if you're lucky enough to have one handy, otherwise, scroll down for my ridiculously OCD list of measurements), and cut off the extra back portion like so- just make sure to leave a few extra inches, since you'll eventually make a casing for the elastic to go through:

As far as the bottom edge goes, you have two options: 1. as you can see from the above professional illustration, I expertly cut out the corners to fit around the front of the carrier (just eyeballed it) and then sewed the cut edges Right Sides Together to make a dart (somebody help me here- I think this is a dart, but I'm not exactly sure...).  Or 2. Don't cut anything; just pull the elastic drawcord tight (if you have one already in the vest, if not, make a casing and put in some elastic) and sew it in place or make a knot or something so it can't get lost inside the casing.  Here's what the "dart" looks like from the outside:

and what it looks like from the underside:

4. Make a casing for the elastic in the back by just folding under the back bottom edge and sewing a tube just wider than whatever elastic you have on hand (no need to double hem fleece since again it won't fray, but you can always fold it under again if you don't want the raw edge to show).  I just pulled out the draw cord that was in the discarded back of the vest and threaded it through my tube, then put the little plastic thingies back on that were originally on the sides of the vest... hard to explain, easy to show:

And the finished back edge (with the little drawcord tail tucked back in the casing):

Voila!  That's it!  You're done!! 
And for you spatial learners, to give you an idea of how the vest fits *now*, here's the front, side, and back view to help you see the difference vs. how a vest fits before you alter it:

(sorry for the blurry pics... but you get the idea)

*NOTE: after having made this, I've decided to forego the darts in the future and just run an elastic casing in the front the same way it's done in the back.  It's much simpler and gets the job done just as well.*

Ridiculously OCD List Of Measurements:
-Length of front edge (same as back edge) stretched out: 20 inches.
-Length of back edge NOT stretched out: 12 inches (would be same for front if you did a casing vs. darts)
-Length from back of neckhole to center bottom edge of back: 9 inches.
-Length from front of neckhole to center bottom edge of front: 20 inches.
-Length of dart seam in each front corner: 5 inches.
-Width of fabric on either side of the neckhole: 6 1/2 inches.
-Open space of neckhole: 7 inches.
-Length of entire cover, back edge to front edge: 35 inches.

Happy Crafting!!!   ...hope this helps!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007 12:33:38 PM by jutybo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
spaz2phreek
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006 07:30:58 PM »

That is one of the greatest things I've seen all day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
mdsvc89

Sewing and Knitting and Scrapping and Cooking

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006 07:42:18 PM »

OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS!!!! And, I think I may have a vest that will work.

Did you put elastic around the edges?

-Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daisyprincess98
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006 08:03:38 PM »

nice work!  i have (a purchased) one of these, but am thinking I may make a warmer one for winter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April~

Mama to a teen, a princess, a super hero and a noise maker!
snowyangel
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006 08:28:02 PM »

Wow that is one of the smartest recons I've seen. So practical and something you'll use quite often. I think it looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Funky hand bags, pillows, cat toys and more UNDER $25...
www.snowyangel.etsy.com
http://www.wists.com/snowyangel2000
Spazzy
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 08:52:46 PM »

This is pure genius!  How did I not think of this! Next time I pop out a bambino I'm making one of these!  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://delainie.etsy.com -- Life is too short to be uncomfortable!

the sun is up, the sky is green, wishin my life could be just a dream --Greensky Bluegrass
MercGirl1963
Dark Clown on a chicken farm.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006 10:01:43 PM »

You are so cleaver!  I want to make one for my new niece now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006 10:12:05 PM »

That is such a great idea, and I bet it is super warm Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
hellamanic
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006 11:54:02 PM »

haha i just like how she doesnt look happy with it zipped but then the next picture when its unzipped shes like ahhhh freedom. cute though. great idea for warmth.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will.
wobblerat

already a krafty kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006 01:48:17 AM »

What a beautiful baby! She looks so snugly warm...yummy, love to hug those warm babies!!

This is absolute brilliance!!  And what a great idea for my XL pregnant sized vest that I bought last year that is languishing in the closet!  Nice work! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Book: The Summer Wind
Behind the Book: The Boom
Choosing Peace Over Hate
A Day in the Life of Author Elizabeth Fremantle
Elizabeth Fremantle: Tudors Vs. Today
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...