A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,071
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what craft would you re-do next year??  (Read 4121 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

brideOFkniterstein

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: December 28, 2006 06:47:56 PM »

yes, i know the gift-giving winter holidays JUST ended, and most of us are probably trying to get our heads on straight after all this crafting and gift giving.

i wanted to ask this while it was all still fresh in our minds:

which crafts got such a rave review, that you are definitely going to repeat??

also, what crafts are you definitely going to add to your repertoire?

for me: i'm going to repeat marble magnets... i was shocked at how much people liked them. i'm also repeating book thongs. as far as adding a new project/gift to my list... i'll be adding washcloths.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm down with Personal Swaps
My Wist

BRIDES-TO-BE: i have wedding stuff i would love to swap away. pm me for list of items!
LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006 06:55:11 PM »

My marble magnets were a hit too!  Grin
Chocolate covered pretzels also went well, as always.
And book thongs is a good one, especially since almost all of my friends are in honors LA with me (Which means reading to NO END), so I think I'll add that to my list  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
LadyCregga
keeper of the castle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006 07:01:09 PM »

My embroidered pillows and diapers went over well, so did my embroidered tote bag.
The quilted throw I made, made my mom giddy.
And my MIL loved the mermaid doll I made her.
So all of those or just some of them will be in the line up next year.
As well as pin cushions.
Already have three done for next year.
Probably will do about thirty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! -- What a Ride! -- Anonymous
lbaptiste
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006 07:05:53 PM »

This is a great post that gets me thinking about what worked and what didn't...

Actually, this year I was so lucky, since everything seemed to go over really well.  For my sister's boyfriend, I made PJ pants with a flannel that had flames all over it and she called me right afterwards and told me he put them on immediately and loved them so much!  I made jewelry sets for all the ladies on both sides of the family (Necklaces, Bracelets and Earrings).  The thing that I'd probably skip next time would be the bracelets.  It is so hard to estimate the right size for different peoples' wrists and now I find myself with a pile of them to adjust (I offered to fit them to people after they opened them so that they could wear them!).  Next time, I'd probably just do necklaces and earrings.  I also made stockings for my brother and his fiance and they LOVED them... they were so touched when they opened them, so I was happy about that.

For next year, I've already started to think about what I want to do.  A couple of things that I want to learn are: glass etching and more advanced knitting (right now, I only know the basic knit stitch, so that's all I can do!), I'm also going to do a bit more sewing next year.

Happy holidays everyone and happy planning!

Lisa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006 07:52:22 PM »

well, this wasn't something for Christmas, but a big hit was a scarf set I'd made for my MIL's birthday. My niece requested a similar one. Sadly I ran out of time to finish it for this year's Christmas, so it's in the works for next year instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
plucky1_08

Breath In. Breath Out. Move On.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 09:33:39 PM »

This is a mix of this years and last years presents simply cause I love to decoupage (my main craft) and so I do something each year with it.  Last year I did the marble magnet thing, I did a holiday set, and I also did family photos.  I also made a set of wine charms using family photos (a lot like marble magnets).  

This year I made photo albums for my dad and cousin and I took the covers and decoupaged baby pics (me on my dad's and my cousin's kids on hers) on the front and back.  They were all black and white.  Forgot to take photos.  The pics resembeled my fave gift of the year.  One of my best friends is a drummer and I took a drum case and decoupaged black and white photos of him from the past ten years with his different bands all over the lid.  I told him if he didn't like it I was keeping it.  lol

The top:

and side:

Everyone loved everything so much I've already started pondering next year cause it's getting hard to out do the previous year.  lol  

I almost forgot I also made wine charms and a wine tag to go with the wine glasses I bought for my uncle, here is the wine tag on the bottle.    
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006 09:37:48 PM by plucky1_08 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyVallieres
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006 09:46:27 AM »

plucky1_08 I love the wine charms!!  i've been making those marble magnets but never thought of them to make wine charms... especially since i personally need them... at a Christmas party this year i was forced to tie a big green bow on my wine glass because i kept missplacing it... thanks for the idea... i may try and make them for my New Year's eve party... better get cracking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You cant change what you dont acknowledge.
pawnshoppromises
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006 10:42:55 AM »

My mom, aunt, and MIL all loved the crocheted dishcloths I made this year, so they'll definately be seeing a comeback.

My FIL also loved the NY Sucks (he's originally from Boston) t-shirt I made him, and now his dad, brothers, and a couple of poker buddies want one as well. So, stenciled items will be appearing next year, too.

My cousin also loved her star baby blanket, but we'll see if anyone I know is expecting next Christmas...

As for new items for next year, I just started doing melt-and-pour soaps, so those will definately be gifts for next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I <3 Personal Swaps and can crochet pretty much anything! PM me!

My Etsy
My Ravelry
My Wist
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006 08:15:20 AM »

I will likely make jams again next year - but getting the smaller 125 ml bottles sooner.  I may recruit my best friend and do them with her because she is looking to do small homemade gifts for friends from work too.  This is the second time I have done it and it was just as successful as the first time.  Maybe I may make some marmalade next year too (my mom loves marmelade)

Definitely food gifts are appreciated - the almond roca always gets rave reviews and this is the second or third year I made it - many of my co-workers dive into it the moment they get it.  Same with shortbread - problem is with shortbread, I eat as I make.

The snowflake ornaments went over big - think I will make more, in different patterns next year - love how they catch the light on my own tree.

Probably will make more coaster sets for next year - and maybe add trivets if I can find the right sized tiles for them.

Definitely more necklaces - perhaps variations on the fringed, definitely some other kinds.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007 11:21:15 AM »

stencilled shirts were this christmas's hit : Cheesy nobody would believe that i made them. i will definitley repeat this gift idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
catdaddytn
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007 12:12:16 PM »

anything fleece is great to repeat.  Scarves, blankets, etc. 

I need to complete my fleece projects ... well, first I need to completely figure out the project.

thanks.  catdaddytn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
danfreek22
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007 05:22:02 PM »

i'm definitely going to continue making my famous peppermint pinwheel cookies next year and i'm hoping to make some picture bracelets too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007 05:55:38 AM »

The thing that I'd probably skip next time would be the bracelets.  It is so hard to estimate the right size for different peoples' wrists and now I find myself with a pile of them to adjust (I offered to fit them to people after they opened them so that they could wear them!).  Next time, I'd probably just do necklaces and earrings.  

What about doing memory wire bracelets instead - that way they have some give and are more self adjusting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Polkaroo
Running with scissors since 1978

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007 12:19:36 PM »

I'll definitely be doing a couple more no-sew knotted fleece throws next year - but I'll start MUCH earlier.

I made one this year for my aunt and totally underestimated the amount of time it would take to tie knots on 2 yards of fleece!  I was still tying up the last few knots on Xmas Day. Tongue  However, my aunt's reaction was absolutely worth it.

Planning how many I want to make and what colours I want means I'll also be able to take advantage of the "buy 1, get 2 free" sales that happen every so often, which would be nice since the fleece was fairly pricey when I got around to buying it.

However, I'll skip the homemade gift bags (I made drawstring bags out of festive red and green fabrics).  Everyone seemed to busy pulling out the stuff inside to notice the wrapping. Sad   It would've been quicker and cheaper to go with dollar store gift bags, which is what I'll do next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mycupoftea
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007 05:19:31 PM »

Plucky 1_08: I absolutely love the wine charms - could you give me a tutorial on how to make them? I've never done the marble magnets, but I understand how to do them, but I don't understand how you attach the marble to the wires. This would be such a perfect gift for my brother and his wife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrushfireFaeries
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007 07:06:30 PM »

What a good idea for a post!

I gave record bowls to a few friends this year, plus a mixed cd and set of coasters I made with mini-cds (the kind you put in cameras sometimes). Those gifts went over really well, so I'll be making record bowls for more next year!

Two years ago I made my four closest girlfriends stockings that looked like high-heeled boots in fun fabrics, complete with "laces" and fringe. I put silk-ish lining in them and filled with goodies. They absolutely loved them - just to throw the idea out there.

And I always give tons of cookies, fudge and chex mix. Always, always, always a hit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We do not know the true value of our moments until they have undergone the test of memory." -G. Duhamel
doeayes
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007 07:48:20 AM »

everyone knew who was my secret santa when the crafty stuff came out.  heck i don't have money to be doing some little stuff every dang day that i can't create from my own stash. 

i like the pipe cleaner candy canes they make great present toppers.

i am going to steal the mable wine tag idea!!!  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.

fun foam letters to i.d. pressies.  i liked it.  No one else did it, but they knew it was me.

i'm searching now for secret santa stuff now because i don't want to be rushing at the last minute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jillie
Crazy Craft Lady

Life is good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2007 12:23:15 AM »

Cookie-mix-in-a-jar.  Everyone loves that stuff!

Also, some knitted scarves and purses.

Although, I'm also trying something new and gifting socks!  Never done that before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lost.eu/1871f  This is an invitation!

Tetris, pretty colors, and (of course) lots of knitting!
Check out my new blog at:
http://saltwaterpurls.blogspot.com
Ashling
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007 12:40:16 AM »

I made ceramic scented oil warmers for all the women in the family last year.  Unfortunatly, one exploded in the kiln and I didn't have time to start over.  So I'm going to make one for the family friend who didn't get one.

I made wine charms for my father-in-law a few years ago, and they went over well.  I made them with pre-cut hoop earring wire and plastic beads I already owned.  The best part was the total cost was only $1.39 for the wire.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon and Escarole Pizza Recipe
Best Foods For Tailgating At The Game And At Home
How to Cook Bacon Perfectly
How to Fry Bacon
How to Cook Bacon in the Oven
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...