A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ipod cozies from hell (very img heavy, sorry!)  (Read 3027 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilian
« on: December 27, 2006 09:46:31 PM »

ok i just wanted to give yall a laugh...this post will be image heavy, i apologize.  (i also can't figure out how to resize them to be any smaller!  I tried making them teeny and it didn't work, so I doubly apologize for my incompetence!)

so i got my very first ipod for christmas, and being sick at home with bronchitis, as well as being the doting mother that i am, i decided to make it a cozy!

little did i know, sewing machines are much more difficult to manipulate than i'd initially imagined. 

so first i broke the needle, and so my mom had to come sort me out.  after that i somehow pushed the entire sewing machine onto the ground and broke some plastic, but i just taped that back on, and i'll tell her tomorrow morning when she's in a better mood.

but here are pictures:

attempt number one: the ipod cozy from hell.

attempt number two: the ipod cozy that ate tokyo.  it's HUGE.

attempt number three: the ipod cozy that would have been cute if the embroidery/chalked part was right-side-out, the corner wasn't wrinkly, and it didn't rival the size of the ipod cozy that ate tokyo.

attempt number four:
picture is unremarkable but basically i sewed the wrong side out again so that all the stitches were visible, plus i used white thread, and it was still too big

attempt number five: a relative success!

i was so overjoyed with it that i tried to do some embroidery with my sewing machine.  it mostly did not work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xvaltheavx
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006 01:37:25 AM »

I feel your pain!

I knitted an i-pod cozy for my little bro very last minute a couple of Christmases ago.
The actual cozy wasn't that bad (even without a pattern and no idea how big the i-pod was, had to look that up on the apple website *coughcough*), the real pain in the butt was doing the lovely embroidery I decided to add at the last minute.  >.<

I was so frickin tired of duplicate stich and embroidery by the time I was done, believe you me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoriCraftster
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006 09:20:04 PM »

I haven't attempted this project yet but suspect it would work better with hand sewing the felt.  I would use wool felt and a nice blanket stitch.  I use my machine for many, many things but it's hard to control the speed of the machine on something so small.  Also, the embroidery will come out so much better if done by hand.  It is very easy also!  Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
latenightartist
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007 06:17:36 PM »

Wow. That sucks. Personally, I like fleece better than felt. If you wanted to embroider w/ the machine, use interfacing. It'll help to stabilize it and keep it from pulling as much.
Next one you make, try to use paper before jumping in with felt. If you tape it together, allowing room for seem allowance, make it fit, then take it apart and you have a pattern.
If you were to sew it together by hand, you could use embroidery thread and have a nice contrast stitch on the edge.
Don't give up on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007 09:33:30 AM »

For a smaller project like that I probably would have just done it by hand.  (then again since my sewing machine hates me I pretty much sew everything by hand  Undecided )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
Muddy Fox
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007 02:21:26 PM »

Ha ha ha - the i-pod cozy that ate Tokyo - I love it  Grin Grin  Is it not very 80s? I'm sure my uncle had a cell phone that size - retro  Wink

I am so comforted that I'm not the only one who sews things wrong way out and cannot work my own sewing machine - phew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothing improves creativity like a lack of supervision...
whcollection

I sing in a death metal band.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007 10:00:15 AM »

Aww! I love the giant one! The caption made me giggle.  Keep at it, mistakes are good for learning from.  And felt is inexpensive, so no tears need to be shed. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kishcrafts
I can make almost anything out of polymer clay! :P

me and Kellan Lutz!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007 10:02:15 AM »

we all have to go through the trials and tribulations of hand crafting and having things go awry sometimes. You kept going and finally sucess. isnt is sweet! Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I still sell my clay crafts...email me if you are interested in ordering something. kishcrafts@gmail.com
sarush
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007 08:59:16 PM »

Wow, I loved your captions. Not to mention the photos!. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had a bad first attempt.

I only made one iPod cozy/wallet/whatever, this evening. Based on another post (someone named Lubee I think), I bought tons of felt and got out my sewing machine for the first time (just bought it) and tried to make an iPod holder.

I was actually trying to make it for one of the older ones that is a "photo iPod" for a friend. Ended up making it too small for mine which is thinner than the photo one. It's kind of cute...I love pink and green together and I tried to make a cupcake on the front too....haha, it is just so bad. I haven't used a sewing machine since I was 13 (I'm 24) and you can totally tell...I agree with what other people already said, the felt seemed difficult to control. Granted, I don't know how to use the sewing machine. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to get the bobbin back in!

Enjoy the photos (i'm going to try and insert them but i'm pretty sure it won't work (my photo site is weird about outside links) so I'll post the links too)!

http://public.fotki.com/stoofanie/misc/crafty/ipod-cozies/ipodcozy/

**actually, since i am new on crafster i can't post images yet. i swear they are not pictures of penises!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007 11:37:02 AM by sarush » THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ craft log ] [ wists ]

my job is sending me to training in the dc area from october to march. great for the career and social life but bad for the crafting.
sarush
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007 07:31:05 PM »

I tried again this evening! I like this one MUCH better but I know I've got a long way to go before they'll look super good. This one was hand sewn all the way.

Here is the link to the 2 pictures:

http://public.fotki.com/stoofanie/misc/crafty/ipod-cozies/second-attempt-ipod-cozy/
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007 11:37:47 AM by sarush » THIS ROCKS   Logged

[ craft log ] [ wists ]

my job is sending me to training in the dc area from october to march. great for the career and social life but bad for the crafting.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Tofu with Pork
Thai Beef Salad
Teriyaki Chicken
Tandoori Shrimp in Baby Pita
Summer Roll with Shrimp
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...