A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,688
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vinyl + electrical tape = deluded?  (Read 1062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

i_squared_u

hurray for right angles!!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2006 09:28:21 PM »

Well, I like dressing up. Thus, I thought I'd celebrate a New Year's Eve as Halloween Parte Deux and have set my heart upon making a dress out of multicoloured vinyl. Now here's the problem...

1)I've never made a "proper" dress before.

2)Never worked from a pattern - just kinda tweaked and tweaked until whatever it was turned out okay.

3)My sewing machine is broken.

But I do have... ELECTRICAL TAPE & PLENTY OF ENTHUSIASM!

I also have an eyelet gun lurking around somewhere but don't know how to use it.

I'm a curvy gal i.e. "more to love" (us size 10) and was thinking of an 80s fitted strapless above-the-knee length cocktail dress affair (long description, I know), which I thought would be conducive to shape-throwing on the dancefloor, and yet be so tacky that it would impress London fashion snobs.

Optimistically thinking, I was just gonna cut the fabric into a suitable shape and then tape up where the seams should be, and somehow tape myself into it. However, I then stumbled upon another problem..

4) Going to the loo!

Once taped in, I wouldn't be able to hitch up the skirt high enough to well, you know.

Here some of the styles that I was considering...

(yup, I know this is fetish wear. Ignore the lacing and erm... the whip)

(ignore the shirt and tie bit)

Am I deluding myself? I don't wanna hack up the vinyl just to make a mess.

How about the tape idea? I thought adhesive would be too fiddly and sewing is out of the question.

I suppose the toilet problem could be solved by having an opening (like in pic 3) or a split along the front or back. Any advice on this one?

What about the dress shape? I was just gonna have 4 panals as in pic 2 or I was gonna make a 50s dress bodice and a pencil skirt. Yay or nay?

NB: despite the pics, I don't actually want as fetish wear.

All comments will be much appreciated.

Woe is me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
joybilee

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006 10:53:50 PM »

i vote we all just go out en mass in look #2 (complete with lacing & whip!).  it would create such a scene Cool

but really, i think you have a fun idea.  i've seen a lot of clothing created out of duct tape, so maybe think of that if the vinyl doesn't work out.  i don't sew much so can't help as far as shaping, but have you considered making an opening in the back, or side, that overlaps & adding in some sticky back velcro?  no sewing involved in that.

mostly useless i know, i just replied because i thought it sounded fun Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i_squared_u

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006 11:34:25 PM »

OMG! Joybilee! Sticky back velcro! INGENIOUS! Grin Grin

That sorts out the peeing issue and removes the need to tape myself into the dress.

Your avatar is making my brain recite the lines "1. Cut a hole in the box, 2. Put your junk in that box...". haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006 12:21:09 AM »

Hmmm...I've worked with vinyl (and latex) a few times.  I'm no expert, but this is what I know:
To get that nice, tight, effect--even if you don't want fetish wear--you need to be able to stretch the material just so, so you don't end up with a poorly fitted bag of a dress.  It's unlikely that Velcro would allow you to do that, and it would very likely make some unpleasant lumps n' bumps along the seamlines.  It's also much more rigid than apparel-weight vinyl. 
(Joybilee--I don't mean to poop on your idea!  As I said, I'm just writing from my own experience.)
You could probably use your electrical tape and vinyl to make a more mod-ish, '60s style dress--not this specific style, but this sort of simple shape:

Something simple like that, without a lot of the tightly-fitted curves required of the dresses you posted, is easily customized, would stay together well through the night, give you lots of crafty points, and feel comfortable.  You could make cutouts down the front (think of designs by Mary Quant and early Betsey Johnson), or make appliques out of the tape.  I'd reinforce it with duct tape on the inside seams, myself.
Good luck!
Smiley
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006 12:23:10 AM by SassetteOPants » THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
joybilee

Gimme all your yarn & nobody gets hurt!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006 01:24:59 AM »

poop away, lol Roll Eyes  like i said, i don't know much, that's just an idea i had.  i've never worked with vinyl, but you make a good point.

heh i_squared_u, gotta love the "gift" in a box, lol. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 05:42:38 AM »

I have a friend who used to tape herself into a dress for the night and then just chop it off when  she got home again. I think she used a black plastic bin liner for a base and then just used duct tape, different colours of insulation tape (used for electrical stuff) and whatever to tape around herself. You can get a really tight fit because its molded to your exact shape and i think she was pleased with how much uplifting she could do along the way. I seem to remember that once in a while if she really liked the dress she would cut it off carefully up one side (where a seam might be) and then reinforce the edge with more tape and put grommets/eyelets on both sides and lace it shut. I don't think any of the dresses lasted long but for a one off occasion i think it'd work. i think if you did the overall shape with black tape and then folded some tape around the edges like binding it would be more comfortable and neat looking.

just throwing in my 2p worth. good luck!

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i_squared_u

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007 09:51:32 AM »

Thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.

Well, I decided against hacking up my nice vinyl and settled upon wearing another plastic outfit inspired by a fellow craftster thread... a twister mat dress accessorized with bling ghetto jewellery and it looked HOT! Wink Grin I got a ton of compliments.

I'll post a pic as soon as I can find the USB cord for my camera.

Thanks again!

By the way, Happy New Year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raining_dreams
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007 10:28:21 AM »

I know you already came up with something... but you could have made the skirt a little poofy - 50's style- and hitched it up that way  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
Face Painting - Alien Brushwork Details
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 5/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 4/5
How to Extreme Crochet - Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Summer Dress
Wonderful Washi
Meatless Monday: Aubergine, Tomato and Goat Cheese Bake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...