A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chip-carved ornaments  (Read 2940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2006 09:01:59 PM »

Just wanted to show off one of the ornaments I made for xmas and have not yet given away.  They are chip-carved basswood rounds with little screw-in loops and metallic string.  The pattern is from my good friend, Mr. Barton.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rented_angel
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006 09:33:20 PM »

Oh wow.  That is beautiful...did it take a really long time to do?   The details on it are just amazing....great job.
elizabeth
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006 09:36:29 PM »

Those are REALLY nice! Did they take a long time to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stars_Fire_17
Drop the Yarn and no one gets hurt!

Kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006 09:41:54 PM »

Very nice.  It looks like it would be fun to make Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kit

"Stars, hide your fires, Let not light see my black and deep desires"
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006 03:38:40 AM »

Wow - you have talent and patience.
That is really beautiful. I hope the recipients are appreciative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 07:35:20 PM »

Thanks for all the positive responses! :-)  Actually, the really great thing about chip-carving is that something little like that does not take long at all -- maybe an hour including sanding.  The most important thing is to know how to keep your knife sharp.
This technique takes a little time to learn/practice, but the concept is simple and it really doesn't make a very big mess (I did these in my apartment with little harm to the vacuum).  If anyone is interested, I can gladly post my favorite books/links on chip carving. I'm by no means an expert, but I can offer up what I know. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retro-redux

spending way too much time on craftster since 2006

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006 09:27:42 AM »

if you could post the links that would be SO appreciated:). You did a fantastic job and I'm surpised that it's easy to make cause it looks SO intricate. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come be my craftster friend on my blog: http://www.myspace.com/retroredux

I succumbed to the Wist Darkside-here ya go:
http://www.wists.com/retro-redux

Break the chain: Spay or Neuter your pets
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006 10:31:45 AM »

A couple of how-to's:
http://www.carvingpatterns.com/chip.htm
http://www.chipcarving.com/howto.htm

And a great place to get basswood and butternut (the two most commonly-used chip carving woods) blanks of all sorts:
http://www.boxesnsuch.com/

I would highly recommend picking up a Wayne Barton book from half.com (no sense in paying full-price for media!) -- or stopping by your local library to pick one up and go ahead and make some copies while you're there.  His patterns are amazingly beautiful.

You'll also need a knife -- eBay is a great place to get them, but lots of woodworking sites have them for a decent price (usually under 20 bucks).  If you find that the site selling them has an extra fee for a sharpening service (beyond "shop sharpened") -- GET IT. 

Also pick up a leather strop for a buck or two, some silver carbide powder for sharpening, and a thumb guard(little piece of leather with elastic) since you'll be cutting toward yourself.  If you have small hands like me, be sure to get a small-handled knife or it will seem cumbersome.  I'll add more links as I dig them up in my very unorganized bookmark folder. :-)

There are several ways to get the pattern onto the wood, but my favorite is just to use a glue stick lightly, smooth it on and let it dry for a few minutes.  If you find the glue is still sticky when you're all done carving and are trying to remove the excess paper, just pull out your trusty iron, cover the piece with a damp cloth, and give it a very quick steam on high heat.  The paper will fall off, and the glue can be removed with a quick swipe of the cloth - easy-peasy.

Also, do not by any means believe that "stainable" wood glue is indeed stainable -- it is NOT and can really ruin a project you've worked really hard on.  Further, Always always test your stain first on a scrap of wood -- the same kind of wood you're carving. You can get results that are a lot different that you expect based on the color on the stain can!

Oh -- and sanding paper.  You'll need some fine-grain sanding paper.  Multi-purpose will work just fine too, just use a light touch, as basswood is quite soft (not like balsa, but soft none the less).

I hope this helps get you started -- it is a beautiful, fun-to learn craft and I enjoy it very much.  I still have a great deal to learn, as I've only been carving off and on for about a year.  I hope to gain more precision with my technique and someday be able to develop my own patterns.  Please msg me with questions, or anything else.:-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wealhtheow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007 09:30:54 AM »

And here are the ornaments I'm making as gifts for our wedding party, as yet unstained because it's too cold to go out into the garage and stain them. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyImperfections

Paper cuts and hot glue burns since 1985

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007 10:48:28 AM »

This is beautiful and obviously took some time, I would love to get one for x-mas! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's swap.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wet-Set and Diffuse Curly Hair
How to Add Product to Curly Hair
How to Wash and Condition Curly Hair
How to Style Curly Hair
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Finishing the Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...