A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Truffles: the perfect easy christmas gift  (Read 9719 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate , candy , truffle , martha_stewart , stocking_stuffers  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Odri
« on: December 27, 2006 09:00:03 AM »

For Christmas, I decided to make truffles for all of my relatives:

Here we have, from top left to top right:
Dark chocolate, peppermint, grand marnier and coffee.

I you want to make some, here's the recipe.
First, make some basic truffles, just chocolate flavored. For this part I took the Martha Stewart recipe that you can find on her website:

MAKES ABOUT 3 /12 DOZEN
Use different brands of cocoa powder (such as Hershey's, Valrhona, Droste, and Ghirardelli) to make truffles of assorted colors.

-8 ounces best-quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, finely chopped 

-1/2  cup heavy cream 

1.   Put chocolate into a large heatproof bowl. Bring cream just to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; pour over chocolate in bowl. Stir in liqueur, if desired. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand 10 minutes. Stir until smooth. Let stand until thick, about 15 minutes. 

2.   Pour chocolate mixture into a shallow 8-inch dish or pie plate. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until mixture is very cold and set but still pliable, about 30 minutes. 

3.   Using a teaspoon or a 1/2-inch melon baller, scoop balls of chocolate mixture, transferring them to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper as you work. Refrigerate truffles 10 minutes.

THEN, when you have your chocolate mix, the fun/messy part begins.

For the dark chocolate truffles: This is the easiest recipe. Just take your truffles and roll them in cocoa powder until they are completely covered.

For the peppermint truffles: add some peppermint extract (how much you put is up to you) to your chocolate mixture and roll the truffles in powdered sugar

For the grand marnier truffles: Add some grand marnier (once again, you decide how much) to your truffles and let them cool in the fridge for about 10 min. While they are cooling, Melt some dark chocolate with cream in a small pan. Dip your truffles in the melted chocolate and let them cool for a while. Add some grated orange peel for decoration.

For the coffee truffles: Add some coffee granules to your chocolate mix and roll your truffles in some powdered sugar mixed with a bit of coffee granules. Add a chocolate dipped coffee grain on top for decoration.

When all your truffles are done, put them in these little foil containers and package them neatly (or refrigerate them if you don't give them soon):

And voil! You now have the perfect fun to eat and fun to make Christmas gift.  Grin

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007 07:58:52 PM by Odri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hollow Shel
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007 09:36:17 PM »

I'm surprised this didn't have any replies. It looks delicious, I'm going to have to try it. Consider this recipe bookmarked Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive, I am not obsessive compulsive...

Bringing sexy back for a refund. It really just wasn't "me".
Odri
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007 05:10:42 AM »

I'm surprised this didn't have any replies. It looks delicious, I'm going to have to try it. Consider this recipe bookmarked Grin

Ah thanks for the nice reply  Kiss! I was a bit bummed that I took the time to write my recipe and no one commented on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mylovelybabybump
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007 03:00:58 AM »

Those look AMAZING!!! I want to eat them all up right now. I wish I was on your Christmas gift list Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nykole6412

i wish i was on southpark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007 04:41:31 AM »

thanks! im definately making these for christmas!!!  awesome idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
A Capitol Idea
<3<3<3

hey unloving, I will love you<3

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007 08:11:02 PM »

Ahh my mom used to make those for me and I LOVED them! I can't wait to try this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

come join my disposable camera swap!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=185390.0
6/100 ATC Themes
Personal Swap Crazy! PM me!
lucylost
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007 08:21:21 PM »

Thanks for the directions. This looks like something that even I could do! They look really beautiful. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK----

KCR++ Exp+ SPM- Bam++ Pl+ Addi+ Syn(-) Nov-- Cot+ Wool+ Lux? Hemp?>+ Stash+ Scale+ Fin-- Ent FI-@ Lace+ Tex++ Flat-- Circ+++ !DPN ML+++ !Swatch KIP++ Blog EZ+ FO- WIP+ GaugeF GaugeS+ GaugeDK+ GaugeW+ GaugeB- AltCr AltX

----END KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK----
Miss World
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007 02:00:42 AM »

awesome! thank you so much for the recipe! will surely give it a try Smiley makes a wonderful gift!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007 01:38:43 PM »

yum! im on a really tight budget this christmas so i am bookmarking this for sure!

although...i am no expert on desserts or cooking by any means...and im wondering if theres any 'guidelines' for truffles. what i mean is...could i do other flavors such as peanut butter, or fruit flavors (raspberry, etc) or maybe even some white chocolate to mix with/garnish the chocolate?

ive always thought of truffles as sort of 'fancy' i guess youd say, so ive never even had any and  im kind of embarrassed to not know much about them. Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
nataleeza
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007 09:20:51 PM »

I can't believe I missed this the first time around  Huh

I always make truffles for Xmas, and your presentation was inspiring.  I'm going to have to whip up a "practice" batch soon so I can give them a taste before December.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Birthday Cake Ideas for Boys
Tips for Preventing Pudding from Forming a Skin
Should Cookie Dough Be Chilled Before Baking?
What Happens if You Decrease the Sugar Called for in Baked Goods?
What is Almond Bark?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...