A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Truffles: the perfect easy christmas gift  (Read 9680 times)
Tags for this thread: chocolate , candy , truffle , martha_stewart , stocking_stuffers  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

anneland22
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2007 06:46:15 PM »

YUM.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All The Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
Layin' In The Sun,
Talkin' 'Bout The Things
They Woulda-Coulda-Shoulda Done...
But All Those Woulda-Coulda-Shouldas
All Ran Away And Hid
From One Little Did. -Shel Silverstein
liasaun1
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2007 01:08:38 PM »

I'm going to expirament with these before I make a gift batch, but I've been looking at some alternate recipes and here are my questions:

1. Butter? A lot of recipes call for it - is it neccesary? Does it make it richer in any way?
2. Must I use HEAVY whipping cream, or does regular suffice? (I bought regular without being really sure and now I'm hoping it will work!) I did see a recipe that said either would work but does anyone here know?

I'm super excited about making mine Smiley I'm planning on doing some nut-covered ones, chocolate sprinkle covered ones, chocolate powder and colored confectioners sugar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://omglia.com
Funky & colorful jewelry, clothing, &accessories
http://omgliastash.etsy.com
Destash and supply! Bead and charm lots!
My Blog!
x0xmanda
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2007 10:49:41 AM »

i've tried regular, 1/2 and 1/2... it all works Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Moo!
Weddy_in_Paris
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2007 04:01:19 AM »

I'm going to expirament with these before I make a gift batch, but I've been looking at some alternate recipes and here are my questions:

1. Butter? A lot of recipes call for it - is it neccesary? Does it make it richer in any way?
2. Must I use HEAVY whipping cream, or does regular suffice? (I bought regular without being really sure and now I'm hoping it will work!) I did see a recipe that said either would work but does anyone here know?

I'm super excited about making mine Smiley I'm planning on doing some nut-covered ones, chocolate sprinkle covered ones, chocolate powder and colored confectioners sugar!
Regular or fluid whipping cream is ok. And a very small amount of butter is needed, it makes the paste easier to form into balls and you can keep the truffles a little longer than whitout butter. But you can find recipes only with butter (too greasy and heavy for my taste). If you want to check my recipe :
http://wednesday-morning.over-blog.com/article-13887079.html

Merry Christmas everybody !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Odri
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2007 06:48:00 AM »

Finished! This ended up being the perfect gift to give friends at school. This is a sample of the fourteen-gazillion I ended up making...

I made peppermint (white ones,) almond vanilla (swirl ones,) and coffee and orange (cocoa powdered ones.)

Thank you so much for the idea!

Wow, they all look very nice but I especially like the vanilla almond ones. Very pretty Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doglvr123
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2008 03:16:13 PM »

yum! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Insert witty remark here
ComeOnGetDown
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2008 06:45:55 AM »

my first post.. w00t!

i just tried a truffle recipe from alton brown (my hero) http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/chocolate-truffles-recipe/index.html for the first time this week and they were really good except i couldn't keep them from melting unless i stored them in the fridge.  i'm not sure if i overheated my outside coating of chocolate?

For a harder shell, just melt the chocolate whitout adding anything (no cream, no butter) and let it cool at 104 F (40C). Then you can dip the truffles in it without let them melt too much. But you still have to work quick... too quick for me !

alton suggested to keep the chocolate between 90-92 F and not to exceed 94F otherwise the coating wouldn't have a good "snap" when you bit into it.

when you made yours, did you actually heat the chocolate to 104?  or is that just something you read?  if you did do it, what were the results?  could you store them on the counter without having them try to melt?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2009 06:19:17 PM »

I bookmarked this for my list next year. I decided I want to try for 100% handmade gifts next year, so I had better start planning/budgeting now. This would be perfect for a few parents and my brother.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
snappity-snap
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2009 03:28:43 PM »

wow!

how long will these stay fresh in the box?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
Odri
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2009 08:23:13 AM »

Hey snappity-snap!

The recipe that I used said to store them in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to serve, and that you could keep them there up to one week.

I'm actually am going to try to make these again this year, I'll share the results with you guys soon  Kiss
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009 08:41:12 AM by Odri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Red Carpet Up Do How To Video
Get the Look from Marc Jacobs Fall 2014
Jennifer Connelly at Her Allure February 2014 Cover Shoot
Classic Chignon Tutorial
3 Hairstyles for Short Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...