A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how do you make a bubble skirt?  (Read 384 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ahh muna eat choo
« on: December 27, 2006 08:33:05 AM »

do you just string an elastic around the bottom of the skirt? just to get the "bubble" effect?

please and thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poetryinmotion
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006 12:23:47 PM »

I don't know how well I can explain this, but I'll try.

I've seen bubble skirts in stores and this is how they look like they are made.  Make two identical skirts and attach them to one waistband, layered one on top of the other.  With a rectangular strip of fabric slightly shorter than the circumference of the bottom of your skirt, attach it to the hems of both skirts while gathering the hems to make the bubble.

I know that explanation is horrible and probably confusing.  Sorry.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ahh muna eat choo
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006 01:45:46 PM »

ahh thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paroper
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006 07:27:56 PM »

Usually the liner is straight or a-line.  It should be 3-4 inches shorter...the shorter the liner, the wider the bubble will poof...of course, you have to gather the outer skirt to the shorter straighter skirt to make it do that.  Also, the outer skirt is lined often with net (NOT TUILLE which is limp).  I've often used two layers of net to get the skirt to stand out better.  The net gives the skirt body.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006 05:51:39 AM »

Wow, does this bring back memories.  I had a cute little black dress in the mid 80's with a bubble skirt.  Just as paroper explained (very well) it had a net layer inside to give it foundation.  The thing I remember most about it was the pantyhose it ruined because the nylon net would prick the back of my legs when I would sit down.  I didnt make the dress, it was a whismy purchase from Lerner's.  I dont know if they are even still in business.  Thanks for the trip back down memory lane  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
paroper
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 07:05:45 PM »

Yep Lerners is still in business.  The reason it picked your hose is because they didn't line it.  Actually, I think that Lerners may moved up slightly on the clothing list (not sure).  Some of the best looking dresses I had back when I was a teen were from Lerners...but they were still cheaply made. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Mouse
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Frog
How to Illustrate a Cartoon Queen
How to Design a Cartoon Monkey
How to Illustrate a Cartoon House
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...