A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kromski Sonata  (Read 891 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2006 07:52:09 AM »

Since there isn't a lot of information available because it's so new, I thought I'd post my thoughts on mine.

On ordering it... I didn't get to try before I bought, but I knew I wanted a double treadle and scotch tension, and I liked that it was portable so I took a chance.

There was very little assembly and I am very pleased with the feel of the wheel.  I haven't stopped spinning yet!  I really love the way the wheel looks and the way it spins. It's a joy to use.

I'll be happy to answer any questions anyone has about the Sonata if it helps to make a decision on it.  (Whether it be for or against.) Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sherie
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007 11:51:18 AM »

I've had my Sonata for 5 days now and I love it.  This is my first wheel.  And as there are no spinners/guilds/LYS's here I had never touched a wheel before this one!  I have used a drop spindle.

The Sonata was very easy to get going and I've already spun up 4 oz of singles!  I love my wheel and it's been really easy to use for this book taught newbie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soth
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007 12:07:07 PM »

I got my Sonata yesterday. I am soooo pleased with it.

Very little assembly and after 15 minutes I was able to spin the first yarn. The douletreadle is so comfortable.

The main cause for me to chose this wheel was the possibility, to take it with me easily and I love the classic look of the kromski wheels.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For pictures of the "TOUR DE FLEECE 2007" visit my blog: medieval maiden http://sothlegar.blogspot.com/

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Albert Einstein
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007 01:12:16 PM »

The only things I haven't liked about my Sonata were
1) the smell of the oil- but I ordered some nicely scented oil from Rowan Tree Woolery and that fixed that
2) one of my felt pads came off, but I replaced it with some I picked up at Target
3) the orifice hook didn't have a little hole drilled in it so you can put something through it to make it easy to hook to your wheel and not lose it, and I have already misplaced mine.  Luckily I have crochet hooks to spare and  mutilated one to fix it.

Otherwise, I am really satisfied and love love love the wheel and what I spin up with it. Smiley
I don't think I'll need the lace flyer for nice lace weight either, which is really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007 07:13:06 PM »

All of the Kromski's have a hole located somewhere on the wheel in which to store your orifice hook. From the picture on the woolery, the Sonata's is underneath the orifice. Stick the orifice hook through there [handle pointing out at you] and it will always be where you need it to be. Like this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007 07:59:46 PM »

Yeah, that works in theory....in practice, not so much. 
It doesn't stay in the hole that's made for it very well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onthinice
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007 06:29:01 AM »

The only things I haven't liked about my Sonata were
1) the smell of the oil- but I ordered some nicely scented oil from Rowan Tree Woolery and that fixed that....

You can add essential oil to your wheel oil to make it smell better.  One woman in my spinning group uses ylang-ylang, and her oil actually smells pretty good.  I tried lime, but it took more drops and it did not wind up smelling as good as hers.  At least it does not smell like straight wheel oil now  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
Into fictional letter writing? PM me. We need more characters. What am I talking about? Read about it at Dante's Wardrobe.
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007 07:44:52 AM »

Yeah, i thought about that, but since they sent gun oil, and it just smelt awful, it'd be like spraying flowery air freshener over random stinky stuff, and I just couldnt' stand that.  The oil I bought was unscented and then she scents it, and I like it so I am fine with it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Ceramic Art
Top 5 High Tech Public Art Masterpieces
Ed Seese Glass Marbles Artist in Woodford Virginia Part 1/2
Ed Seese Glass Marbles Artist in Woodford Virginia Part 2/2
How to Carve a 2009 Wood Christmas Ornament
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...