A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: life sized capuchin sock monkey!  (Read 32308 times)
Tags for this thread: monkey , sock_monkey , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilgothkatt
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007 07:58:20 PM »

thank you! when I saw it was being featured I felt like I had won an Oscar! It was like 2am but I called everyone I knew and yelled and or whined at them until they went to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonke ys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
Crosseyedcat
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2007 08:06:35 PM »

That is AMAZING!!!
You do great work!!!
I may have missed it while reading the thread but how long did it take you to design and make him?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm new so please be nice to me Smiley
lilgothkatt
« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2007 09:04:43 PM »

I don't really design persay. there aren't any patterns or such. I just look at a reference photo and they just kinda evolve from the socks. I have however been able to make notes afterwards about the shapes I cut and sewing it together and all.

From start to finish I think this guy took me close to 10 hours. I sew my sock animals by hand. you get better shaping and control of the socks that way.

there are a lot of details on him that you just can't see in the photos. he has toes for instance.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
ludicrouslouisa
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2007 07:40:47 PM »

Sewing by hand is the best way to do little toys...do you do overstitch or running stitch?
I've done the reference photo thing but with people....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgothkatt
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2007 08:36:37 PM »

I use whipstitch. since socks are knit it makes sure that they don't unravel on me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liquidblackout

Kat fell from a height of nine floors (=^-^=)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2007 08:45:22 PM »

That's absolutely stunning! Great job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://liquidblackout.livejournal.com
http://www.myspace.com/liquidblackout
http://www.xanga.com/liquidblackout

~If you visit, please let your prescence be known and introduce yourself! Thank you!
fiendishfabricator
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2007 08:54:43 AM »

I was really sad to see your Etsy shop. It said you were discontinuing sock monkeys. I have been collecting monkeys of all kinds for about 10 years, and I want to give one a home. I may buy one, but I am also open to trading something for one you can't get off of your hands (imperfect or otherwise). Do you use new or used socks? I can definitely send you more socks if I see them or some felt or fabric! I also make pin cushions and my sister makes pins, let me know if you need anything.
You are truly an artist! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilgothkatt
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2007 04:23:40 PM »

I use a combo of new and gently used but well washed socks. one of my favorite things about sock animals is they are pretty affordable to make. they just take some time to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sach monster
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2007 05:32:30 PM »

i second the tapir... but i think you should look into the okapii- (spelling?) it's my favourite animal in the london zoo... it's related to a giraffe (you can see it in the face) but looks like a zebra. it's mainly black, but has two stripey back feet- and the most adorable face!!  it's super cute and i know your talent will do it justice!!!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bratygrl1
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007 12:07:36 PM »

That monkey rocks my socks off! I think it's awesome! Do you sell them online?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pom Pom Desk Topper
How to Make a Paper Lantern
How to Make a Craft Flying Bird
How to Make Your Own Valentine Cards
How to use etching powder on glass items
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...