A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,731
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Kitchener-Waterloo  (Read 14640 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heavenlyevil
(formerly PureDiamond8865)

I'll bide my time...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2007 11:57:33 AM »

I'd love to! I'm on King & Ezra, so we could meet at UW somewhere since it's pretty central, if that's alright with you.

I don't have any free time until next week since I have my last exam in two days and have birthday plans this weekend. If you want to meet on weekends I can't until the 5th since I'm moving to Cambridge next weekend. But after that it's all good. I take the bus back and forth to Cambridge a lot, so it won't bother me at all to go the other way. I volunteer at WPL twice a week so I'll be playing on the bus a lot anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're all mad here....You may have noticed I'm not all there myself.
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2007 07:16:09 AM »

I can't believe tha tI haven't stumbled across this board yet...

I'm a k-w'er myself....well, I'm in Cambridge, but I'm moving to Kitchener this weekend Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amused
earthbound misfit

I can fly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2007 09:49:26 AM »

Sorry I didn't get back to you heavenlyevil, Hi Jezebel!

I'm pretty new to the area, I'd love to get together but I don't know where! Ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2008 01:11:01 PM »

Just curious about people's fav craft stores around kitchener waterloo? I'm wondering if i'm missing any!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
heavenlyevil
(formerly PureDiamond8865)

I'll bide my time...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2008 02:56:33 PM »

The only ones I know of are Michael's, Cloth & Clay and Len's Mill Store. I use all three for various things. Micheal's for cross-stitch stuff, Cloth & Clay for Koigu and Regia, Len's Mills for the rest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're all mad here....You may have noticed I'm not all there myself.
sheriffkarli
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2008 09:19:37 AM »

I love lens mills, they have the coolest fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Margarita Miss

cuervo on the rocks ... salted rim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2008 03:37:19 PM »

Cloth and Clay is my fav.  They've got 20% off all regular priced yarn now until the end of Feb.
If you're into jewelry making, there's Bead Bazaar on King St. in uptown Waterloo and Gecko Beads in the Mill in St. Jacobs and their second location is in Elora. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KittenKaboodle

Dyslexics of the World, Untie!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2008 08:06:21 AM »

An update on craft, fabric and art stores in KW

Sadly, Cloth and Clay in Waterloo Square has closed.  I've heard conflicting reports on why it closed, from owner retiring to it not being eclectic enough for the new Waterloo Town Square vision.  That last bit makes no sense as Cloth And Clay was one of the influences that help shape the eclectic shops vision for the mall.  Regardless of why, the truth is the store is now closed and we no longer have our fabulous yarn store right downtown...or rather -Uptown! The outlet in the St Jacob's market is still open, although it has a much smaller array of yarn.

Bead Bazaar is still Uptown Waterloo and still as fabulous as always.  Stephanie has new beads arriving all the time and I have a difficult time not blowing my entire bead budget while there. Not far from there is "State of The Art Supplies"  a wonderful name for a store with an ever changing selection of specialty art supplies.  They have special papers, primed and unprimed canvas gold and silver leafing, and they have silk screen supplies -including kits-for anyone who want to silk screen their own textiles and t-shirts.  On Caroline Street is The Artstore, another art supply shop. They carry supplies for graphic artists and have a wide selection of special art papers.  Michael's is as great for arts and crafts as ever and carries everything from yarns to fine art supplies to beads to you-name it!  Lens...what can I say about Len's?  When we were looking for a house one requirement was that it had to be within walking distance to Len's!

There is still some good news for knitters, however. There is a new specialty yarn store in New Hamburg, just outside K-W, owned and operated by someone who used to work at Cloth and Clay.  They sell many of the same fancy yarns as Cloth and Clay.  it's Called "Shall We Knit" and it's quite nice!  Her's the stores web site:  http://www.shallweknit.com/ They offer lessons and seminars, in addition to many wonderful yarns.

In additional crafty KW news, KW Sewing Machines has moved out of their cramped quarters in Conestoga Mall to a new, larger location in the Fredrick Street Mall.  Steve, (the best sewing machine mechanic anywhere) Sonia and company are all available to help with purchasing that perfect sewing machine to keeping you machines in top running order. They also carry sewing machine accessories, needles, threads, notions, and more. They are the local dealers for Singer and Janome.  The store is opening april 2. They are hoping to offer more sewing lessons in the future, once they settle into their new location.  If you are in Frederick Street Mall, do check out "The Colours of Art"  formerly Racca's Art Supply.  They have an extensive selection of Windsor and Newton art supplies, and they also carry a selection of specialty stitchery threads for needlepoint and cross stitcher's. 

The Kitchener Textiles store on Strange Street has closed after many years. Constant road closures and construction in the area made it difficult for customers to get to the store, which led to a drop in business, which led to the closing. 

On Victoria Street is a tore called Herrschner's. It's main business is mail and internet sales of pre-packaged kits with the retail outlet in Kitchener.  It carries craft supplies, yarns and beads.  I have not been there is a few years, but it's still open for business.  Here's their website:  http://www.herrschners.ca/retailstore.aspx

Out Weber Street East in Kitchener is Fabricland, which we should all know about. Grin Across Weber is creative Sewing Center, the local Husqvarna dealer.  They also carry specialty threads, specialty fabrics, and sewing machine supplies, feet, needles and sewing notions.  Very nice store, although getting sales help can be a bit frustrating at times! They also repair sewing machines. Here's their website: http://www.creativesewingcentre.com/ And not far from both, at Fairview Mall is Wal-Mart.  When the store was renovated they expanded the fabrics and crafts section.  There are fabrics, yarns, beads, and assorted other crafty things for the budget crafter..

And that's the updated list of crafty places for KW crafters.  If I find anything new, different, or tucked in an out of the way corner of the city I'll be sure to post again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sheriffkarli
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2008 11:07:07 AM »

I'm lucky enough to live in new hamburg so i know just how amazing shall we knit is! They offer really neat workships (i'm taking a a needlefelting course on the 12th) and beautiful yarns!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

drc

Heartbreak city here we come!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2008 10:35:45 PM »

Cloth and Clay has not yet closed! They will be soon though but currently they are having an everything must go sale! I walked past it today on my way to valuemart, there was 50% off signs in the window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kids Fashion: The Nautical Look
ENK Kids Runway Fall 2011 at NYFW
Back to School Essentials
Choosing Fabrics for Kids Clothing
Top Summer Fashion Trends From Celebrity Stylist Electra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...