A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you eating for the holidays?  (Read 1697 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dancedupapillon
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2006 11:12:53 AM »

I'm not vegetarian, but my dad makes this fantastic lentil and barley casserole filled with veggies and cheese.  The cheese could be substituted with soy cheese for vegans.  I'm not entirely sure of the recipe, but those of you who are a little adventurous could try it out.

I also make a red pepper and tomato soup.  It's not exactly winter-y, but it has a festive colour.  I roast red peppers, tomatoes, and onions in the oven or grill the peppers on the barbecue until the vegetables are soft and I can peal the skin off the peppers.  I boil some potatoes and carrots, drain and reserve some of the liquid, then add the vegetables and a drained and rinced can of red lentils.  Let it cook until it's soft then blend.  You can thin it a little with the potato water or some milk.  Salt and pepper to taste.  It's pretty tasty served with pita chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
raining_dreams
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2006 01:20:03 PM »

I am not big on Christmas dinner- or Christmas in general- so I am just going to be making Arugala and lemon pasta with some handmade bread on the side. I have been eating way to much peanut brittle, and I need to get healthy again  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
bohemia
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006 02:09:47 PM »

I celebrated christmas with my darling's family and was the only veggie, as usual - very hearty typical Norwegian fare.  Last year for Christmas my darling made me a nut loaf and I had vegetarian gravy, and this year I had a non-meat loaf from soy protein 'mince' with lots of good stuff in it like onions and capsicum with a mushroom gravy...both Christmas dinners I've had with his family have been really good because the stuff we made for me has been compatible with the side dishes and I get the stodgy Christmasy gravy type feeling too.  And, of course, everyone wanted to try my food, which I always like, as they always enjoy it and I feel I'm spreading the good word about how yummy vegetarian food can be.

Yum.  I got an enormous vegetarian cookbook from my darling (he's a sympathetic omnivore who's learnt a lot about lentils in the last few years) and so I was starving again an hour after dinner after drooling over the beautiful pictures in it (and yearning to sew something - I got me a sewing machine!  Yay!)

Enough showing off over fabulous dinner and presents.  I hope you all had a fabulous Christmashannukwanzaa and a delicious veggie dinner!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2006 09:09:50 PM »

for the folks, did a roast chicken with a pomegranate glaze. For the veggie sister of my BF, made a good mix of other dishes:

salad starter: warm crispy walnut-encrusted goat cheese rounds on a bed of spring greens lightly dressed with vinagrette.

sides: green beans sauteed with garlic, fresh lime juice, and olive oil

wild and basmati rice pilaf with tangerines, dried cranberries, and pine nuts.

store-bought orange-cranberry relish

dessert: pear-cranberry crumble.

two hours of cooking and voila! We ended up having more than enough for five, and people could eat chicken or not. The menu meshed well either way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do an Upside-Down French Braid Bun
Must Try Curling Irons
Ways To Make Your Hair Grow Faster
How to Get Great Poolside Hair-Dos
How to Do a Nicole Scherzinger Updo
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...