A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,764
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: flaxseed?  (Read 1017 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« on: December 27, 2006 11:46:33 AM »

I recieved the book Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and looking through them, one ingredient that I've never used before popped up in 99% of the cupcake recipes. Ground Flaxseed. What is this and what will it do? Where can I get it? Can I replace it with anything? I normally have no problem finding most ingredients at my local Shaws and when that fails (or I just want to go organic) I go to the local health food co-op. If I could find it at either of those places I'd be psyched. Is it expensive? As a teenaged vegan my parents, obviously, front most of my food costs and I hate to ask for obscure ingedients that they have never heard of and cost a fortune.

thanks!

edit: I just googled flaxseed and saw that it can be used as an eggreplacer, I'm assuming this is what miss Moskowitz uses it for in her recipes however, could I use my enerG?? The website I looked at said about 1tbsp flaxseed so could I just sub that out for 1 1/2 tsp enerG?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006 11:49:55 AM by owalkerjillo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OKmetro

where the hell is my moustache?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006 11:53:38 AM »

ground flaxseed acts as an egg replacer when mixed with water, you should be able to find it anywhere (i get mine at Bulk Barn) or just buy the whole ones and grind them in a coffee grinder or food processor. i hope that helps, i'd recommend checking out wikipedia for more info if you want it.

ps. flax seed may prevent breast cancer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006 12:07:35 PM »

yeah it's easiest and cheapest and healthiest to buy them whole and get like a 10$ grinder from Canadian tire or somewhere and grind them right before using. once ground they start to go bad and you don't get all the good stuff in them. although i guess once you cook it you lose all the fatty acid props anyway...

but yeah they have a lot of fibre and stuff. work great as an egg replacer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
norelco
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006 12:25:46 PM »

Flaxseed in recipies is very tasty. I like to eat them raw, so try them in your cooking sometime. Flax is a premium plant souce of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. These get rid of bad cholesterol and so they are good for your heart. My mom made flax a staple in her and my pantry because heart failure runs in our family. It is also claimed to give you energy. Go here and read the shiznit on there.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=81#healthbenefits
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2006 12:53:03 PM »

awesome! thanks for all the info. i think I'll definately try and invest in some next time i go shopping. for tonight i'm going to make peanut butter cupcakes sfrom the new book and just sub in my enerG. it gives me good results in just about everything else Wink

thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

raining_dreams
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2006 09:32:02 PM »

Ground Flaxseed is usually by the flours and such Smiley
 I use it as an egg replacer in all my recipes. You put one part flax seed to two parts hot water in a blender. Let sit for 15 minutes, then blend until gelatinous. Ont Tablespoon can replace on egg.
 Anyway, it is interchangeable with EnerG, but it tends to be cheaper becuase Flax seed can be bought in bulk and frozen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Street lights dance and street lights sing
Someone cut the oxygen and took a message to the king
Announcing that he wasn't royalty
blog
vegan food blog
laurynloo
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006 11:43:39 PM »

In Isa's book "Vegan with a Vengeance" she says to use one tablespoon of ground flax to 3 tablespoons of warm water... that's what I use all the time and it works great... you let it sit for awhile and it will gel up, kinda weird.

Oh by the way, this is really lamamarco, I locked myself out of my account.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftgirlwannabe
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007 03:41:21 AM »

nice choice on the cookbook - it rocks  Smiley

I just wanted to add that if you can't find it, it's also sometimes called linseed. Look out for small brown shiny seeds. I've found it pretty cheap.

I'm new to flaxseed too but I love it. It's great for an egg replacer, and I chuck it into smoothies and porridge for omega 3s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Gorgeous Lashes Without Mascara or Serums
Best Colors to Enhance Brown Eyes
The Very Best Sunless Tanners and Beauty Creams
Today Only: Get the Sofia Vergara Fragrance First
Lifestyle Products for Earth Day
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...