A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,541
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: vegan VEGETABLE based dishes? looking for recipes  (Read 954 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« on: December 17, 2006 05:39:28 PM »

okay so i love love love being a vegan. but a recent look at my meal plan for the week made me scared. i'm relying on carbs a ton more than i would like to. and i'd really like to start incorporating many more vegatables into my diet (fruits i am okay with, i normally snack on apples, cherries, celementines, grapes, berries etc.) most of my "vegetable" recipes are something like veggies over rice or veggies mixed in with pasta. any ideas are welcomed!

I don't like cooked spinach (i do in salads though) nor do i like tomatoes if it's a dominant flavor, i've never tried eggplant but i would  be somewhat willing if a recipe that seemed especially delicious presented itself. and really, that's it. i would love recipes that are fairly easy to prepare and require little prep, also the ability to be rejuvenated in a microwave the next day for lunches at school would be amazing.

thanks Smiley i appreciate any input a ton!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006 06:52:04 AM »

Hey there,

The problem that I've found with all-veggie recipes (as opposed to things with rice or pasta) is that I tend to get hungry again FAST.  Like, in an hour.  And then I end up at the vending machine, and that's just bad.  Tongue

Of course, with that "warning" out of the way, there are tons of ways to eat more veggies.  They make a good snack (with hummus or bean dip or a tofu sour cream-based dip) and veggie soups are portable and reheatable (but only if you have a reliably spill-proof container).  Veggie chili is great with kidney beans (I use spicy chili beans), black beans, chickpeas, TVP, corn, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic.  Minestrone has tons of vegetables, and I make miso soup with cubed tofu, green onions, wakame, and then chopped broccoli, sliced carrots, and/or frozen stirfry veggies.

There's always the option of a big salad (with nuts or beans or something for protein).  Indian food is veggie-heavy...one of my favorite meals is to saute some onions and lots of garlic, add chopped cauliflower, chopped carrot, frozen peas, and chickpeas with a little water.  Steam/saute for a few minutes and then add garam masala (I use a commercial blend, and modify it with powdered ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, cardamom, and black pepper).  Mix, heat through, and voila.  You can add a peeled diced potato or two with the veggies. 

OK.  Almost done.  Grin  I also love greens, pretty much any way.  But my favorite is to take a bunch or two of kale, boil it for about 2 minutes (it should be bright green and not mushy at all) and drain it, then run cold water over it to stop the cooking.  Then heat some olive oil, saute a head of garlic with some cayenne pepper, add the kale, and cook for another few minutes.  Oooh, and steamed veggies (especially broccoli, carrot, and --believe it or not -- fried romaine lettuce) with lemon dressing.  To fry lettuce: cut a head of romaine in half lengthwise, heat some oil in a skillet, place the romaine in the skillet cut-side down, cover the skillet and cook for about a minute.  Flip it, cover the skillet, and cook for about 90 seconds.  Yum.

And here's my recipe for lemon dressing...I posted it as part of a salad but it really is good on cooked veggies too.  (And for anyone who's not vegan...it's awesome with crumbled blue cheese.)

http://www.recipezaar.com/183018

Hope that this has inspired you a little!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
owalkerjillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006 03:56:47 PM »

awesome thanks so much! I know that I do get hungrier after a veggie meal as veggies take less time to digest but I'd still like to try and fit more in. Or maybe one that is like MOSTLY veggies on rice or something instead of a dish that focuses on rice. i've never heard of frying lettuce. that lemon dressing recipe sounds delish though i'll def. have to try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spaghetti
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006 05:00:00 PM »

Forgot one: Asian coleslaw.  Take a package of shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw, mix with a couple of sliced green onions and some chickpeas or cubes of tempeh.  Add soy sauce, sesame oil, and rice vinegar to taste.  Sprinkle with freshly cracked black pepper and refrigerate overnight.  You can add a crushed clove of garlic too if you feel like taking the time.  This is my favorite...dunno why I forgot it before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vegetarian yarnivore
J4Joolz
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006 05:38:33 PM »

Roasting vegetables seems to make them into a more substantial part of a meal.  I'm not veggie any more, but one of my favourite meals is roasted peppers (bell peppers), courgettes (zuchinni), mushrooms, aubergine (eggplant) and tomatoes.  Cut them all up into large chunks, toss them in some olive oil, spread out on a baking tray, and then roast in a fairly hot oven for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve with a nice crusty or dense bread, such as ciabatta.  The flavours become much more intensified when roasted and the veggies lose any watery-ness they might have had. This is an infinitely adjustable 'recipe' as you can choose the veg you like and leave out those you don't.  It also works wonderfully with root vegetables as well, but they take quite a bit longer to cook. 

I'm afraid that I can't be any more specific about oven temps or timings because this is something my hubby often cooks before he goes to work and he leaves me a portion to heat up later.  I do, however, know that it does reheat very well in a microwave - probably 30 seconds to a minute at most.   I don't particularly like noodles, but my hubby does and I know that he sometimes mixes the cooked veg with cooked noodles and some sort of sauce, usually out of a packet  Smiley.

Another good eating idea is soup - veggie soups can be fantastic and you don't feel as though you are eating "yet more vegetables". 

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006 11:25:02 AM »

You should try peas and leaks.  Cut a bunch of leaks in half lengthwise and soak to get the sand out.  Chop them finely.  Fry them in a bit of olive oil with an equal amount of frozen peas.  Add just a touch of salt.  I hate cooked peas on their own, but I can't get enough of this dish.

Also glazed carrots.  Little carrot medalions cooked in gingerale with a bit of paprika.  High in sugar, so it's not exactly good for you, but it's a tasty treat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
owalkerjillo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006 11:12:25 AM »

oh thanks, that pear and leek recipe sounds good. I love peas and leeks are pretty alright so i'll definately try that.

I made this for christmas and I wanted to share it:
Roasted Lemon Asparagus
in glass bakin pan mix 1 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Cut up 36 spears of asparagus (uncooked at this point) into about 1-3" pieces and put in dish rolling around so they are covered with the lemon dressing. Roast in oven at 375 degrees for about 15 mins or until asparagus is cooked all the way. it's delish!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dancedupapillon
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006 08:56:50 PM »

Ooh, that reminds me!  Grilled asparagus!  Skewer asperagus spikes together so they look like little rafts, brush with equal parts sesame oil and soy sauce, sprinkle on sesames seeds, grill on top rack of barbeque.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
fleur_delicious
grad student by day, painter/stitcher by night.

i like contrast

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006 09:00:36 PM »

have you heard of the Milennium Cookbook? All vegan and dishes are heavily veggie based. That book rocks my world, it's so creative!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all of this, calm and reasonable as it was, made out of ordinary things as it was, was the truth now; beauty, that was the truth now. Beauty was everywhere. - Virginia Woolf

follow my adventures in making here:
http://www.pacificrain.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Turkey
How to Make Turkey Gravy
How to Make Mashed Sweet Potatoes
How to Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Cranberry Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...