A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
692 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What are you eating for the holidays?  (Read 1698 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beccabur
« on: December 23, 2006 01:34:09 PM »

Well, my family is planning to make a traditional ham dinner for Christmas. . . and I'm hoping to make something vegetarian that could serve as a main dish for me, but I'm at a loss.  We're going to have sides like potatoes, bread, and cooked veggies, but I'd love it if I could make something a little more substantial (and delicious) that I could share with my family. 

So, what are the rest of you vegetarians and vegans making for the holidays?  Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006 05:07:55 PM »

well, i'm the only vegan in my entire omnivorous family so i really have to find things that everyone will like and that i can eat.
after we open presents in the morning my parents and siblings and i will have Cinnamon Monkey bread (a recipe I found from Vegweb.com) and then we're going to my grandparents for the dinner. There I will eat the following (i am sick so my appetite lately is really small so that's why this might not seem like a ton of food)
-Near East Rice Pilaf
-a salad that my aunt will make (they're the most amazing things with black olives, beets, greens and peppers and lots of other ammmmazing thingfs) with fat free light italian dressing
-roasted lemon asparagus

and who knows what else. don't know if that gave you any ideas. but if you're looking for something that will appeal to everyone i've found that soups are ofted really popular. Nava Atlas has an amazing soup recipe book and i'm sure you could find tons of recipes on sites like vegweb. actually, most soups ARE vegetarian already or could easily be made so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

luckyklutz85
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006 05:25:58 PM »

I'm a vegan too, and I just typed the word 'vegan' in front of my favorite holiday foods (i.e. green bean casserole, gravy, biscuits, etc.). I also used the Vegan With A Vengeance cookbook, and I also made some cranberry salsa. Google is your BFF in situations like this.

PS- Everything turned out really well, and there were hardly any leftovers of the vegan food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
owalkerjillo

Ve**ns rule :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006 05:58:02 PM »

haha i use google as well. it's quite wonderful. people always ask me where i get my recipes from and I almost always reply "the internet"

good luck:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ultraviolet
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006 07:13:44 PM »

My boyfriend and I just went shopping for our Christmas dinner. We're making veggie pot pie (possible with some fake chicken, but I'm not sure), mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy, stuffing (which I think will involve veggie sausage), butternut squash cooked with apples (recipe from Vegan Lunchbox), green beans, and good ol' canned cranberry sauce. I think that's everything....oh, and apple pie!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
pastiche
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006 07:26:06 PM »

i had a tofurky for thanksgiving and got another one for xmas, but in between, i found this awesome recipe on the fat-free vegan kitchen blog. it's a stuffed tofu mushroom rice dish. super yummy. i didn't make her gravy though, so i'm not sure how that tastes!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/11/tofu-stuffed-with-brown-rice-and.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

heini
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006 01:43:00 AM »

My parents and sister are coming to my home on Christmas Day and we are going to have a traditional Finnish Christmas dinner, but without any meat. So we eat carrot-, swede- and potato casseroles and three kinds of salad. I'm making a nut loaf (recipe from Rose Elliot's book) instead of ham and fish, and I told that I can make some tofu dish too, but my mum said the loaf is enough. Casseroles and loaf are vegan, in salads there are dairy or eggs (my mum makes two of them), but they could be made vegan too.

My dad had said that he takes some ham slices with him, but I told that meat is only for cats in our home. I think he can eat enough ham during Christmas even if he doesn't eat it on one dinner. Besides, they'll come on Christmas day and in Finland Christmas Eve is the biggest celebrating day, and he can eat as much ham as he wants to on the main dinner.

Today we're going to my boyfriend's parent's house and they'll have traditional dinner with ham, last year his mum had bought some tofu for us, which was nice. But most of the Christmas dishes are suitable for vegetarians, so we wouldn't need anything special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beccabur
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006 02:10:30 AM »

ooh, thanks for the link to that blog!  It looks like I'll find quite a few good recipes there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006 05:16:58 AM »

Well, we did our Christmas dinner tonight, on Christmas Eve Downunder, and we had gourmet homemade pizza, with a salad, trifle, and fresh grapes, cherries, and strawberries. Oh, yeah, and nice chocolates. It was so freaking yummy, I am currently waddling.

The pizza had homemade crust, spread with tomato paste mixed with salt, sugar, olive oil, and mixed herbs. Toppings were: Roast pumpkin and eggplant, sliced mushrooms, red onion, red bell pepper, pineapple, spinach, kalamata olives, ricotta cheese (the Italian kind, which is just fresh cheese curds drained, not the stuff in the tub), cheese, and basil. It was AWESOME!! Grin

The salad was a gourmet salad mix and butter lettuce, grape tomatoes, Lebanese cucumbers, red onions, kalamata olives, and Danish feta cubes, with an olive oil-balsamic vinegrette. Also DELICIOUS!!!

Can you tell we are all foodies here?? Grin I even took pics to show my SIL in Hawaii the dinner she missed, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pastiche
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006 08:24:53 AM »

no prob becca- i've made a lot of her recipes and they always turn out yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Daily Habits That Are Ruining Your Skin
Glam Nomad Makeup at Bibhu Mohaptara NYFW 2014 Show
Shiny Mirrored Nails at the Delpozo NYFW 2014 Show
NYFW Fall 2014 Backstage Beauty
Ken Paves’ Triplet Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...