A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,571
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charity Blitzing 2007 - Anyone Interested?  (Read 14718 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2007 06:20:47 PM »

I don't think it was a stupid question at all! I actually learned how to hand quilt in high school and was shocked to learn that it was the stitching part of the quilt...I guess the rest is just patchwork!  Cheesy

I've crocheted two cat-sized blankets, and I never thought of making them any other way! Now that I've seen your quilts, I may try one. I also have some fleece around here that I could use. I'm not teaching my students how to sew right now, though- they'll have to get a handle on crochet first!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2007 05:29:25 AM »

I tried to quilt but just couldn't get the hang of how precise everything has to be - it drove me batty!  Shocked

I wanted to thank you all for participating in this Charity Blitz....it means alot to me that you all are so interested in helping out!  Thanks!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lanark_Knitter
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2007 07:49:39 AM »

everytime that I check in this project, I'm blown away! A giant thanks to Ooak_Diva for coming up with this brilliant idea and to all of the crafters involved! I am already planning to make a few more blankets with the towel and fleece idea - incredible! The patchwork posted here is absolutely beautiful!
I have one knit snuggle and 7 knit mice ready to go; I've also made a hat and scarf for one of the other months, too.
There is so much positive energy flowing through this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm knitting as fast as I can - why are there so many unfinished projects in my basket?Huh??

Wanna swap? I would love to knit you something - let me know what you've got:)
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2007 06:13:09 PM »

Lanark - thanks!  It's my pleasure.  I enjoy charity so much and I am so thrilled that I have others helping out for such great causes!!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2007 06:17:15 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has contacted stand up for kids. If nobody has tried yet I can  email/call the main office and ask what handmade gifts they would want and where they would be most needed. The storm struck areas seem like a given but perhaps they are getting other donations since they are well known??? I have no idea-just thought I'd check!

I know there is still plenty of time before we need to start working on the Feb. charity but untoherselfalone have you heard anything back from Stand up for Kids regarding the areas that would benefit the most?  If not then I'm all for sending to New Mexico as mentioned before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

untoherselfalone
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2007 08:57:21 PM »

I have not heard anything yet!! I didnt seea main contact number so yea--I suppose NM is the best way to go.It was worth a shot at least.  Roll Eyes

Edited to add:
I saw this on the website for NM. Perhaps another idea would be to make "ugly quilts" http://www.reese.org/sharon/uglyinst.htm since they list sleeping bags as a need. I am sure hats/scarves count as great clothing items as well! Also--sewing kits is pretty much a given Smiley
Sewing Kits

1 Medium Needle
3 Colors of Thread (Also, dental floss if possible)
4 buttons

Clothing Items

We need clothing items for the kids on a regular basis. These are the most frequently used items that we never seem to have enough of.

Socks
Large or X-Large Hooded Sweatshirts
Backpacks
Large Jeans
Towels
Underwear (Boxers - Small)
Blankets
Sleeping Bags
Jackets

Contact Us for more ways to help

Albuquerque@standupforkids.org
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007 09:06:14 PM by untoherselfalone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2007 01:33:47 AM »

Ok - So Mew Mexico it is?  I'll vote for that anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2007 08:13:22 AM »

i agree for new mexico for feb  Smiley

ooak_diva--you've now got me hooked on pine ridge rez  Grin  but i need to stop gathering up stuff there for a minute to get crackin' on my snuggles for january.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2007 11:18:34 AM »

i agree for new mexico for feb  Smiley

ooak_diva--you've now got me hooked on pine ridge rez  Grin  but i need to stop gathering up stuff there for a minute to get crackin' on my snuggles for january.

I know, I *adore* that organization. Everyone is so nice on there and very helpful. Plus there are heap loads of different drives going on at the same time. I've still got to send out my baby package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2007 08:19:39 AM »

Well, I do have some information for the Habitat for Humanity auction (it's the April charity), but I'm still working on putting it all together. I haven't forgotten about it!

I've been working on my Snuggles blankets- I've crocheted 2 and am almost done with a third. Plus, my students are slowly working on theirs (the class time that I had for the project has been taken over by math reinforcement- much needed!). We may not actually donate them until later in the year, but at least the Blitz got us started.

And, I picked up a Knifty Knitter set to make some hats and scarves- I think I could do this while watching TV because i don't have to pay as much attention to counting!

I'll also be hitting the local thrift stores to see if I can pick up the makings of an "ugly quilt."

I also have the patterns sets for Newborns in Need. Now I just have to keep an eye on the sales at the fabric stores!

And, I need an opinion or two-
I made up these tags for folks to use as a label for their donated items...but I'm not sure of two things:
1) If people would actually want to use them (folks could put their "Donated by" info on the back side)
2) If Leah would mind if we used the Craftster logo (I guess if people are interested in using the tags, I could ask Leah for permission to use the logo)- would it make it look like it was sponsored by Craftster? Maybe I could add in "proud member of" or something...

So, that's what I've got going on right now for the Blitz!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007 11:43:29 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold the Longest-Flying Paper Airplanes
How to Make a Paper Hat
World-Renowned Origami Artist Brings Iconic Music Artists to Life
How to Make a Paper Boat
How to Make an Origami Box
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...