A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
666 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charity Blitzing 2007 - Anyone Interested?  (Read 13293 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shewilldieyoung.
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2007 08:55:16 PM »

Thanks. I found a shelter which clearly states that blankets are always appreciated. So I'm thinking I'm going to send to them. They're still relatively in my area. Maybe I'll call up my local shelter too and see if they would need some as well, its a SPCA.

Does anyone have pictures of the blankets their working on yet?! I could never crochet or knit a whole blanket (i can barely finish a scarf!) so I'm sewing mine. I think I'm going to try to get 8 done. Hopefully more if I have the time. What about you guys?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.wists.com/shewilldieyoung

I will be out of state until February. I may be able to check emails periodically so if you need me, it would be more timely to email me. Thanks. ANY OWED SWAP PACKAGES WILL GO OUT BEFORE I LEAVE.
RougeRaven
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2007 08:57:36 PM »

My buddies at the Humane Society say they prefer the quilted sewn blankets because they last longer. As long as it holds up from frequent washings and teething animals, you'll be ok.

Since the cages are small, I'm going to quilt some dollar store towels and fleece together. It's really cheap, so I'm going to make a couple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2007 01:35:07 AM »

My buddies at the Humane Society say they prefer the quilted sewn blankets because they last longer. As long as it holds up from frequent washings and teething animals, you'll be ok.

Since the cages are small, I'm going to quilt some dollar store towels and fleece together. It's really cheap, so I'm going to make a couple.

Great Idea!  2 Snuggles is all I can do right now.  I crocheted cuz I can't sew  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

untoherselfalone
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2007 05:00:20 PM »

Im gonna try out felting on this one!! Probably just for one blanket though--it is tedious abd the idea of it shrking a lot freightens me a bit. I'm gonna learn to use my sewing maching for these blankies in the next couple of days.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewilldieyoung.
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2007 09:20:41 PM »

i just wanted to share a couple of the small snuggles that ive been working on. they started out being 18 x 18 but after sewing they ended up at about 15 1\2 x 15 1\2. theyre really simple just 9 squares sewn together for the front and one big piece for the back.

the green leopard and purple are flannel and the red and purple/pink/red animal print is cotton.

theyre not perfect but i dont think the animals will mind.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 17, 2007 09:40:46 PM by shewilldieyoung. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will be out of state until February. I may be able to check emails periodically so if you need me, it would be more timely to email me. Thanks. ANY OWED SWAP PACKAGES WILL GO OUT BEFORE I LEAVE.
RougeRaven
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2007 09:58:53 PM »

theyre not perfect but i dont think the animals will mind.  Smiley

I feel the same way lol. I hate quilting because of my OCD, even just making strips of squares makes me wig out if the corners don't line up right. But I figure these things will have the crap torn out of them and stuff so I'm hoping I won't pay attention to it as much. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2007 01:23:43 AM »

they look great shewilldieyoung. I love the fabric choices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewilldieyoung.
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2007 03:11:52 PM »

they look great shewilldieyoung. I love the fabric choices.

Thanks!  Smiley The green and purple leopard is my favorite so far. I have a couple other different fabrics too, more pictures to come when i finish up some more. I tried to pick all colorful stuff to brighten up the animal's cages at the shelter. It's rather gloomy in there sometimes..  Undecided

I never really made a blanket type thing before, so I hope I'm doing it right. They seem a little puffy, more like a thin seat cushion than a blanket, so i think i'm doing something wrong, but i figured that wouldn't be bad if a dog or cat was going to lay on it.

I do have a question though, maybe a more experienced quilter can help me out... it's probably common sense but oh well... In the tutorial I read (which was a link on the snuggles site, i believe) it said to make the front part of the quilt, make the back part, then sew the batting on to the back, then put the back and front together and sew around the edges, leaving a hole to turn it inside out. But, once you get it turned inside out and sew up the hole, do you then sew the whole thing together? Like, back, front, and batting all at once to hold it together?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2007 03:58:05 PM »

But, once you get it turned inside out and sew up the hole, do you then sew the whole thing together? Like, back, front, and batting all at once to hold it together?

I think that that would be considered the "quilting" part of the quilt- it would keep the batting and everything from shifting around, which would probably be a good idea if it's used for animals to sleep on. You probably wouldn't have to do anything fancy, maybe some diagonal lines or something (although you could do swirls, too!). I'm going to guess that for such a small quilt, you wouldn't need a quilting foot, but I'm not a "quilter" so I'm not 100% sure. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
shewilldieyoung.
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2007 05:20:02 PM »

But, once you get it turned inside out and sew up the hole, do you then sew the whole thing together? Like, back, front, and batting all at once to hold it together?

I think that that would be considered the "quilting" part of the quilt- it would keep the batting and everything from shifting around, which would probably be a good idea if it's used for animals to sleep on. You probably wouldn't have to do anything fancy, maybe some diagonal lines or something (although you could do swirls, too!). I'm going to guess that for such a small quilt, you wouldn't need a quilting foot, but I'm not a "quilter" so I'm not 100% sure. Hope this helps!

lol i told you it was a stupid question! but yeah, that's what I thought but I asked my sister (who thinks she knows everything, btw) and she said that wasn't the "quilting" part and the putting different blocks of fabric together was the quilting part. That teaches me to listen to her!  Wink  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Joanna Smith Rakoff Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Catherine Hickland Talks About The 30-Day Heartbreak Cure
Jonathan Alter Reveals What Inspires Him Most
Joseph Maroon Talks About His Research
Kamran Pasha Reveals His Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #97-Container Crafting
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...