A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,389
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charity Blitzing 2007 - Anyone Interested?  (Read 16862 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2007 02:08:38 PM »

Ok...we have August filled with Newborns in Need.  Our own Craftster jp197012 has provided the info...thanks so much.

We're set!  Let's get Crafting!!  Grin

Here is a copy of the PM I rec'd from jp197012 regarding NIN:

"Newborns in Need, Inc. (NIN) is a 501(c)3 charity organized to take care of sick and needy babies and their families; and in cases of crisis, to help where help is needed.

No matter what the weather is - spring, summer, winter or fall - babies are in need of clothing, blankets, and essentials to keep them warm. Some of the items urgently needed at all times of the year are:

Sleepers (preemie and newborn)
Gowns (preemie and newborn)
Pacifiers (many hospitals do not have pacifiers to give babies to calm them after surgery or while babies are stressed, this is an urgent and most important item)
Baby hygiene items such as baby powder, baby shampoo, baby lotion, baby soap, diaper rash cream, etc are in seriously short supply - please help.
Quilts, baby afghans and blankets
Crib sheets - we have a huge need for crib sheets at this time.
Receiving blankets
Bassinet Sheets
Outfits - tops, bottoms, sets, clothing
Burp cloths
Diapers - preemie, newborn, and older disposable diapers.  Cloth diapers are appreciated.
Bottles - preemie, 4 ounce and 8 ounce bottles - all types. Bottle lines are also appreciated.
Burial layettes - burial gowns, bonnets, blankets and memorial items are needed
Comfort toys
Booties, socks and shoes
Diaper Bags
Changing pads
Bibs
Baby hats
Undershirts"

They offer pattern sets for sale and links to free patterns for many of the items in crochet, knit, or sewing.  They have chapters throughout the country, so if people want their crafts to stay locally, they can. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2007 02:28:12 PM »

Yay! I'm pretty excited about this! I've got about 18 7th graders who are starting Snuggle blankets for a local shelter- they are learning to crochet. And, I just ordered the pattern sets from Newborns in Need.

And, I'm working on getting info from the Habitat for Humanity gal, and I hope to have that all set by the end of next week!

And, I found a crochet mitten pattern that looks manageable, so I might be able to make mittens for one of the charities, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2007 02:36:18 PM »

Yay! I'm pretty excited about this! I've got about 18 7th graders who are starting Snuggle blankets for a local shelter- they are learning to crochet. And, I just ordered the pattern sets from Newborns in Need.

And, I'm working on getting info from the Habitat for Humanity gal, and I hope to have that all set by the end of next week!

And, I found a crochet mitten pattern that looks manageable, so I might be able to make mittens for one of the charities, too!

That is wonderful news!  I am so humbled by everyones eagerness and generosity.  What a wonderful lesson to teach middle schoolers - that giving is a good thing!!

craftADDchick - you Rock!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2007 06:14:31 PM »

i've spotted patterns for 2 needle mittens that i might try.  i just finished a pair of 2 needle socks for Dulaan Knit-a-long that went together very easily   Cheesy

my daughter (also 7th grade) keeps asking me what she can do to help out the different charities.  i've just taught her basic knitting, so maybe start a scarf or blanket squares?  those are fairly forgiving items.  i might put her to cutting out fabric for snuggle blankets this weekend.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jp197012
JP

me on my wedding day

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2007 06:20:10 PM »

Everyone take a look and we can decide which area of the USA that has a Stand Up for Kids Organization to support.  I am willing to go with the majority.  It's all about helping these Street Kids.

maybe a bit early to get into this, but i'd suggest someplace in colorado that's been hit hard this winter.  or new orleans?  i didn't check to see if there was a chapter down there, but i know the rest of the city is still recovering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RougeRaven
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007 08:34:21 PM »

Everyone take a look and we can decide which area of the USA that has a Stand Up for Kids Organization to support.  I am willing to go with the majority.  It's all about helping these Street Kids.

maybe a bit early to get into this, but i'd suggest someplace in colorado that's been hit hard this winter.  or new orleans?  i didn't check to see if there was a chapter down there, but i know the rest of the city is still recovering.

Yeah. New Mexico was hit exceptionally hard this winter with fierce snow storms, and there is a prominent population of street kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
untoherselfalone
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2007 01:49:53 AM »

im going on a yarn binge tonmorrow. what sorta stuff are you guys thinking about making for stand up for kids? I know they hand out kits to street kids so like warm clothing or blankets that they can include?

im a little stumped but i love this charity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lanark_Knitter
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2007 07:53:34 AM »

if there are any 'joiners' in this craft blitz in the Ottawa, ON/ Lanark Co. area, I'm hosting a knit-along at my house, to celebrate International Pyjama Day - let me know if you want to come up and spend some time with us on Feb. 4. It'll give us some time to come up with craft plans for this project, make some stuff and have some fun. Did I mention that there will be snacks?

cheers
Tara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm knitting as fast as I can - why are there so many unfinished projects in my basket?Huh??

Wanna swap? I would love to knit you something - let me know what you've got:)
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2007 04:46:01 PM »

April:  Habitat For Humanity - Donate to a Charity Auction.  craftADDchick will provide us with more info soon.

I do have some additional information about the auction, and I'll be working on putting it together in a "craftster-friendly" format this weekend.

And, I've already finished my first Snuggly for January, and I've started on 2 more! And, my 7th graders are plugging away at learning how to crochet! I decided to teach a group of them how to make granny squares today- they are pretty quick and some of the kids may find it easier to make a large granny square for a blanket instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007 02:50:30 AM »

Have we decided which area of the country; specifically which Stand Up for Kids we will sponsor?  I am agreeable with the majority.  I will also agree that areas hit the hardest with winter storms would be the best choice.

I think I will make scarf and hat sets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Stopwatch: Haircare
The Dangers of Brazilian Hair Blowouts
At Home Remedy for a Flaky Scalp
Whitney Port Shares Her Hair Secrets
Ponytail 2008 Spring Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Kitchen Dishtowels with Fabric Accents
Tomato/Tomahto
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...