A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charity Blitzing 2007 - Anyone Interested?  (Read 14533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

Champagne Dreams on a Beer Budget.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006 03:56:54 AM »

Something that I would be interested in, but would prefer it to be UK charities.

Maybe I could set something like that up for the UK folks among us.

That is a great idea!   Cheesy

I think you should organize a UK Charity Blitz 2007.  I'm sure there would be loads of interest!!  Go For It!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shooting star
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006 04:06:44 AM »

I think I will look into this a little more.  I'm quite keen about the idea.  Any hints and tips you can offer me if I were to take this on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
RougeRaven
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006 01:06:47 PM »

I'd treat the organization just like a swap.

If you've never hosted a swap, it really helps to keep organized. I've only organized one thing one craftster before- the Steve Irwin Quilt project. My first mistake was allowing people outside of craftster to participate, I had invited people from other sites to participate. This made it really hard to keep everyone updated and to check in with everyone.

The best way to start is to first make a list of what charities you'd like to have things donated to, get lists of what they need/what their requirements are, and write down the address and contact information such as their email and website. I used a simple note book to keep track of everything.

Next you'd need to make a post (probably on this board and the UK board; I used the swap board the most.) In the message you would explain what you want to do, what charities you had in mind, stuff like that.

In my notebook, I kept a list of everyone who expressed interest (like people posting on this thread right now). Then after I had a good 30 people down, I posted the link to the official sign up board on that thread, and I also pmed everyone who had been interested and sent them the link. Sign ups usually are left up for around a week or two, or until it fills up. Depending on what you're comfortable with, I'd set a maximum amount of people allowed to participate. I knew I couldn't handle keeping track of 60 people, so we settled for about 32.

On the sign up board you'll want to post a list of those who have offically signed up, because you'll probably forget someone (I think I misplaced 5 people before they brought it to my attention lol). A schedule of what charitiy you'll be crafting for each month is a great idea. I'd suggest posting the charity of the month's information and then changing it once that month ends. This keeps the page from getting cluttered and helps keep everyone on track. (The only problem then is remembering to change it).  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
teraspawn
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007 07:09:12 AM »

If you do end up organising a UK one, I'd recommend posting on http://www.craftermath.co.uk in the forums - everyone there is from the UK and the vast majority are also on Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2007 01:39:43 PM »

I hear back from out local Habitat for Humanity:

"Your idea for craft donations sounds great and Greater Worcester Habitat for Humanity would definitely be interested. We have an annual Raising the Roof Auction in the spring (Thursday, May 17) and we are always looking for donated items, especially unique ones. Anything your group would like to donate would be certainly welcome!!
If you need more information, please let me know.
Thank you for your interest in Habitat."

April would probably be the best month for Habitat to get items in so they would have them for their auction in May. I don't know if other local Habitat chapters would be running something similar. But, since April is already taken, I'll have to let her know...maybe we can figure something else out.

Suggestions?

In any case, I'll probably donate something for the auction.

And, my plans for a crochet club at school (since my after-school time is limited, I was going to run it during our last 1/2 hour of the day- we have an enrichment block) have hit a road-block (enrichment was slated for math enrichment...I don't think they'd buy my "but there is math in crochet!" claims but I may try...), but I may see if I can do something "unofficial." I know there is a boy in my homeroom who crochets, so I might see if he wants to do it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007 01:35:11 AM »

craftADDchick I will add Habitat for April.  The idea of donating an item for their auction sounds wonderful.  I just re-arrange charities.

Thanks for the info!!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007 01:40:12 AM »

OK...just one more month to fill! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007 10:56:30 AM »

craftADDchick I will add Habitat for April.  The idea of donating an item for their auction sounds wonderful.  I just re-arrange charities.

Thanks for the info!!   Grin

Great! Thanks for switching the months! I will get back to the gal from Habitat and let her know. I'll work on the details in a bit...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
kayrun
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007 02:43:21 PM »

This is a great idea!
I've decided to do more charity knitting in 2007,
and this thread will help keep me on track with that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ooak_diva
Livin' La Vida Loca

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2007 01:20:07 AM »

This is a great idea!
I've decided to do more charity knitting in 2007,
and this thread will help keep me on track with that!

Yeah!  So glad you are joining us!  The January Charity is underway.  You are to make a "Snuggles" and donate to your local Animal Shelter.

Any questions, please ask and if you have a charity in mind for us to blitz, let us know...we have 1 more month to fill.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Hair Resolutions for the New Year
DIY: How To Make Creaseless Hair Ties And Head Bands
How to Get a 1940s Wave
How To Get Big Beachy Waves With A Curling Wand
How To Make A Messy Braid Look Good: Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...